British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flights to UK - Is the quote i have about right, do they get much cheaper? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flights-uk-quote-i-have-about-right-do-they-get-much-cheaper-685785/)

nickyblonde Sep 17th 2010 12:41 am

Flights to UK - Is the quote i have about right, do they get much cheaper?

I have been looking for flights to the UK (Melbourne to Manchester) for next year. I thought booking in advance would result in me obtaining a cheaper fare, but they don't seem to be any cheaper, and I haven't seen any airline deals for April 2011 + in Australia, as yet.
When checking UK websites the airline deals for 2011 have already been released, and typically starts at 600 GBP .
So I'm seeking your opinion on weather these are good fares and I should grab them now, or wait and see if the airlines release any deals in the next couple of months? What has been your experience? So far I have found:
April / May 2011 $1850 per person
June / July 2011 $2300 pr person

Is this about what people usually pay to fly back to the UK?

Thanks Nicky

Wendy Sep 17th 2010 1:04 am

Re: Flights to UK - Is the quote i have about right, do they get much cheaper?

I am paying $1980 to go back in November for 3 weeks. Original price I was quoted by the flightcentre was $2250. There was a sale on for the previous month of $1650 from Adelaide to London, but I couldn't be flexible with the dates and wanted Manchester anyway.

I looked around on comparison websites, airline websites etc and eventually managed to get the $270 the price - they have a price promise so have to beat any genuine quote you get. (I get free insurance with them which is why I booked through them)

I booked back in April, but haven't seen them much cheaper since I booked - not for the same flight anyway.

So have a look around at sites like ziju.com and expedia etc and try to beat them all down a little. :)

nickyblonde Sep 19th 2010 6:39 am

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the info. Looks like the price i've found is OK then, so I will go ahead and book.

Thanks
Nicky.

quoll Sep 19th 2010 8:02 am

Well, I am getting a return for $560 .... using my FF points. And using points and pay I am getting DS from UK and back over Christmas for $236. However I usually budget for around the $2k mark unless I can really head back in low season. I really recommend belonging to a FF program and getting your credit card hooked up to it, that way you can build up for some really cheap fares quite quickly (well, I do seem to be spending a lot these days!)

Kingseat Sep 19th 2010 8:52 am

Have a look at the thread started by BCworld on business class fares a bit down the page. You could fly back business class for roughly that amount.

bcworld Sep 19th 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by nickyblonde (Post 8854233)
So I'm seeking your opinion on weather these are good fares and I should grab them now, or wait and see if the airlines release any deals in the next couple of months? What has been your experience? So far I have found:
April / May 2011 $1850 per person
June / July 2011 $2300 pr person

Forget about what the ex-UK fares are.

Yes these are reasonable, actually quite good, fares ex-Aus for those times of year. People may have paid less last year but as the GFC kicked off some exceptionally low fares were available then.

If you do want to travel in Jun/Jul/Aug then definitely check out the US Airways thread as the cost for business class is likely to be very similiar as Kingseat said.