Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights to UK over Christmas....

Flights to UK over Christmas....

Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Stefjt will become famous soon enoughStefjt will become famous soon enough
Default Flights to UK over Christmas....

We are hoping to go back to UK for xmas this year and currently looking at flights from Brisbane to London leaving around 15th Dec. The prices we are getting are unbelievably expensive!! $10k plus for family of 4
Does anyone know when is the best time to book, who to fly with etc...??
We've had a cheaper quote for $7k but its flying with Garuda Air??? Anyone got experience with them?
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to UK over Christmas....

Originally Posted by Stefjt
We are hoping to go back to UK for xmas this year and currently looking at flights from Brisbane to London leaving around 15th Dec. The prices we are getting are unbelievably expensive!! $10k plus for family of 4
We've had a cheaper quote for $7k but its flying with Garuda Air??? Anyone got experience with them?
Thanks in advance
Thats the peak time to fly so it will be expensive! If you can go any earlier you might get a little cheaper, but mid Dec to mid Jan is not a good time pricewise.

Personally would rather pay more than fly Garuda, but I'm known to be fussy about my airline choices!
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
The $10k isn't a bad price that time of year. To be honest, whilst there are cheaper, it is not that out of the park for anytime of year.

I don't think there is a best time to book or best airline to fly with. If you want to hold out for something better, then you just have to keep looking and checking. You will find prices will fluctuate by airline all over the place. I normally start looking at prices a few months before I need to book.

No experience of Garuda Air sorry.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
If you want cheaper you'll need to depart a week earlier.

I'd have no qualms about Garuda they have really been getting their act together and I've seen some very positive reviews.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Went over to UK or USA most years, 2.5k per person is about the regular price for that time of year

Used to try and get some of us out end of November to save money but seats in that week tend to go quickly before the price hike.

Went China airways and Korean, once each to save money. All I can say was it was at times an interesting cultural experience. korean is actuallly not that bad, if you get a new plane, and north and south korea are not going off at the time

Worst part was connecting with a flights from rural korea/china/india, it seemed at the end of the meal its quite acceptable to cover one nostril and clear your nose into your food tray OMG speechless.

On china airlines out of vancouver, hundreds of people were flying out for some religious festival, and I will never understand how each family had enough baggage to filll a small room, it all went on the plane, how we took off I dont know.

Partner also woke up to find a very elderly lady asleep in his lap she then got up and used the loo with the door open.

For some reason he sticks to Qantas, ANZ etc now
Old Feb 25th 2014, 9:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I just returned from the UK - we left Australia on the 20th December, we returned on the 25th January and for 2 adults and 2 kids we paid about $8500.

This was Jetstar return to Singapore followed by British Airways return Singapore to London.

BB
Old Feb 25th 2014, 9:28 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

Garuda have certainly upped their game since the 1990s when I last flew with them. I remember twiddling the radio channel button on my arm rest and every time I dialled an odd number the over head light on the seat in front came on!!
You can check reviews (with a pinch of salt) here - http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm
Old Feb 25th 2014, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

We`re paying about $10K for a family of four this year. If you can put up with second rate then pay less. That's not to say a cheaper Airline will give you bad service. It could turn out great. We went with Etihad in 2011 and will not use them again. Apparently when you pay them to carry you and your cases to another country, The now damaged cases are not their responsibility. Yes I know all Airlines are probably the same in this regard. The wife has used Singapore Airlines and have heard good things from others about them. And as already been said 10k is about the norm. I used Garuda in`89 the 1st leg from London was great in a shiney new looking jumbo. The other planes we used in the Southern hemisphere were crates. winding up on the runway and half the oxygen masks fell out, water from the aircon (so we were told) running down the aisles. I could see how they got banned for some years.

Last edited by skinnygeorge; Feb 25th 2014 at 10:03 am.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the messages! I have been quietly reading them all. We have now booked our flights!!! Decided to give Garuda a go as there price was just to good to pass up. Had a mix of reviews from them so just have to wait and see..... fingers crossed LOL
Looking forward to a cold xmas this year, first time back in nearly 6 years
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the messages! I have been quietly reading them all. We have now booked our flights!!! Decided to give Garuda a go as there price was just to good to pass up. Had a mix of reviews from them so just have to wait and see..... fingers crossed LOL
Looking forward to a cold xmas this year, first time back in nearly 6 years
Hopefully you didn't book the nonstop service to Gatwick because they just canned it!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/garuda-axes-...arta-amsterdam

No dramas though...you will just get an unplanned stop in Amsterdam!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hopefully you didn't book the nonstop service to Gatwick because they just canned it!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/garuda-axes-...arta-amsterdam

No dramas though...you will just get an unplanned stop in Amsterdam!
Oh yes we did! ................
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

trevnod is an unknown quantity at this point

Flight with Garuda leaving from Perth on 20/12/14 to London Gatwick and returning on 03/01/15 only comes to £969 for 1 adult......bargain for that time of year I thought.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I am a travel agent and people are always amazed at the prices but this is pretty good, I just flew back and on my own it cost me as an agent $2195.00 that was with Emirates direct as possible to MAN. There are some good deals out there, especially if you don't mind stopping a few different places or not going with Emirates, Singapore etc.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Went over to UK or USA most years, 2.5k per person is about the regular price for that time of year

Used to try and get some of us out end of November to save money but seats in that week tend to go quickly before the price hike.

Went China airways and Korean, once each to save money. All I can say was it was at times an interesting cultural experience. korean is actuallly not that bad, if you get a new plane, and north and south korea are not going off at the time

Worst part was connecting with a flights from rural korea/china/india, it seemed at the end of the meal its quite acceptable to cover one nostril and clear your nose into your food tray OMG speechless.

On china airlines out of vancouver, hundreds of people were flying out for some religious festival, and I will never understand how each family had enough baggage to filll a small room, it all went on the plane, how we took off I dont know.

Partner also woke up to find a very elderly lady asleep in his lap she then got up and used the loo with the door open.

For some reason he sticks to Qantas, ANZ etc now

I flew with Air China via Beijing at Christmas, and they were pretty good - none of the horror stories I had heard/expected. Don't confuse them with China Airlines, which are Taiwanese, through Taipei.

The Air china route was actually pretty good, as it was almost equal times to and from Beijing, plus, if you are tricky, you can get up to 72 hours visa free to have a look around Beijing if you fancy. If not, the transit through Beijing International was easy and straightforward...

S
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The Air china route was actually pretty good, as it was almost equal times to and from Beijing, plus, if you are tricky, you can get up to 72 hours visa free to have a look around Beijing if you fancy. If not, the transit through Beijing International was easy and straightforward...
I have a 71 hour stopover in Shanghai later this year...however I'm sure a schedule change will come along and scupper my visa free plans! The visa is very easy to get anyway.