Flights to UK

Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to UK

Buying 2 return flights Aus - Asia and Asia - Europe is certainly a good approach.

Just be careful when buying that you read any information this is presented to you and don't just click next, next, next.

There are some combinations of airlines / countries that will require you to present yourself and your credit card in a local ticketing office before they will issue the tickets.

e.g. http://www.ausbt.com.au/qa/i-was-loo...-working-days-
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That would be great. A few years back a mate flew KUL - LON - KUL in Air Asia's big seats - sure, it's not fancy business class but he said the comfort, both seated and lying flat, was fantastic. Cost him $2,400!
AAX 'business' class is very good for what you pay - great value if you can get one of their low-cost upgrades

In 2010 we flew to London on their A340 in economy. We paid way less than $600 return including luggage and meals. The flights were absolutely fine. We took our own entertainment, snacks (on the return leg all from M&S) etc. Seats weren't the best but not that bad really - I've paid more for worse

I don't find long haul economy uncomfortable or too much of a pain. It is what it is and there is no way that business is worth the money unless you can get frequent flyer or deals as per BCWorld. Sit down, zone out, drink plenty of booze, eat and it's all good

Try 7 hours in a canvas seat in the back of a C-130 with the air force providing the, er, food - I'll take 21st century economy class over that any day!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Buying 2 return flights Aus - Asia and Asia - Europe is certainly a good approach.
Do you think so? I am not convinced, I have looked at it previously and did not see any compelling reason to split it.

Just looked now at random, in business class. Getting separate flights breaking up in Hong Kong and the cheapest deal was $7,200 and the cheapest in an airline that was tolerable to me was $8,300.

Booking straight through the cheapest was $6,000 and on my preferred airline was still only $7,300. With the added advantage of being on one ticket and not having to worry about transit times, clearing customs, collecting bags or anything. Personally I think splitting the ticket is an unnecessary complication.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you think so? I am not convinced, I have looked at it previously and did not see any compelling reason to split it.

Just looked now at random, in business class. Getting separate flights breaking up in Hong Kong and the cheapest deal was $7,200 and the cheapest in an airline that was tolerable to me was $8,300.

Booking straight through the cheapest was $6,000 and on my preferred airline was still only $7,300. With the added advantage of being on one ticket and not having to worry about transit times, clearing customs, collecting bags or anything. Personally I think splitting the ticket is an unnecessary complication.
I'll admit the last few times I've tried to price something up that way it just hasn't ended up being worthwhile...so you could be right.

Potentially it's a seasonal thing...it worked for me one Xmas. And I remember booking flights for family SIN-BNE-SIN very close to Xmas and the prices didn't seem to suffer from the same seasonal skyrocketing as say LHR-BNE via SIN on the same dates.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cool!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all very much for your replies. Some interesting stuff.

The one that caught my eye was cheap return to KL. But to onward to London with Qatar went via Doha. The journey is bad enough with 2 flights.

Ended up with a straight return with Qatar for $7,300 - 4 tickets.

Thanks again

Big Baz
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find long haul economy uncomfortable or too much of a pain. It is what it is and there is no way that business is worth the money unless you can get frequent flyer or deals as per BCWorld. Sit down, zone out, drink plenty of booze, eat and it's all good

Try 7 hours in a canvas seat in the back of a C-130 with the air force providing the, er, food - I'll take 21st century economy class over that any day!

This is exactly what I do - I don't find that business class is worth it if you are paying yourself - I'd rather save the cash and spend it while I'm wherever I am going.

S
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:35 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

AAX 'business' class is very good for what you pay - great value if you can get one of their low-cost upgrades

In 2010 we flew to London on their A340 in economy. We paid way less than $600 return including luggage and meals. The flights were absolutely fine. We took our own entertainment, snacks (on the return leg all from M&S) etc. Seats weren't the best but not that bad really - I've paid more for worse

You must have flown first class because I was never given any food
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Different strokes for different folks, I don't mind economy for short haul flights but I can't handle long haul, wish I could. For me, business is well worth the money.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Thank you all very much for your replies. Some interesting stuff.

The one that caught my eye was cheap return to KL. But to onward to London with Qatar went via Doha. The journey is bad enough with 2 flights.

Ended up with a straight return with Qatar for $7,300 - 4 tickets.

Thanks again

Big Baz
My mate has flown with Qatar a few times now and says they are OK. The airport at Doha is a bit crap apparently but the actual flights were just fine. Good price considering your eldest is probably now an adult fare.