Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights - stopovers or not??

Wikiposts

flights - stopovers or not??

Old May 25th 2004, 3:50 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Well we ummed and arred about a stopover and unanimously voted to do it. 2ads & 3children.
We are hoping to be in Aus for a long time and intend to visit all areas for hols etc so why not hop into Singapore enroute - might not get the chance for a long while. When I heard the cost of staying I had to be picked up off the floor!

Booked flights and stopover yesterday evening. Did it via eBookers on the web. Easy peasy and I think the young lad had the patience of a saint. Hour and a quarter later and it was done. Jeez, never thought I had so many questions in me.

Anyway flights on Singapore Airlines came to £1629 and a 4 day break in the 5* Grand Copthorne Waterfront cost an astronomical, exorbitant and freakishly cheap £434! So there , no contest. That's with 2 rooms with i/c door, free tea & coffee throughout Singapore, free Raffles Sling Bar and drinks and ...get this...complimentary laundry of smalls, pants and socks!! How cool is that? Completely hassle free curries are go!. Oh and did I mention the free family ticket to the theme park on that island?

We will take Graylings comments onboard (from an earlier thread) about knowing the cost of things and don't intend to go overboard.

So its all go now! Really getting excited.

ps a cautionary tale about Phenagen. If you use a microscope to read the small print it does say that some children will have a reaction to it . What sort of reaction? The opposite to what you administer the damn stuff for!! We had a hyperactive tornado tasmanian devil in a confined space for 9hrs 16mins and 46 secs. My, we were the most popular couple on the plane!!! NOT!
Old May 25th 2004, 3:51 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Well we ummed and arred about a stopover and unanimously voted to do it. 2ads & 3children.
We are hoping to be in Aus for a long time and intend to visit all areas for hols etc so why not hop into Singapore enroute - might not get the chance for a long while. When I heard the cost of staying I had to be picked up off the floor!

Booked flights and stopover yesterday evening. Did it via eBookers on the web. Easy peasy and I think the young lad had the patience of a saint. Hour and a quarter later and it was done. Jeez, never thought I had so many questions in me.

Anyway flights on Singapore Airlines came to £1629 and a 4 day break in the 5* Grand Copthorne Waterfront cost an astronomical, exorbitant and freakishly cheap £434! So there , no contest. That's with 2 rooms with i/c door, free tea & coffee throughout Singapore, free Raffles Sling Bar and drinks and ...get this...complimentary laundry of smalls, pants and socks!! How cool is that? Completely hassle free curries are go!. Oh and did I mention the free family ticket to the theme park on that island?

We will take Graylings comments onboard (from an earlier thread) about knowing the cost of things and don't intend to go overboard.

So its all go now! Really getting excited.

ps a cautionary tale about Phenagen. If you use a microscope to read the small print it does say that some children will have a reaction to it . What sort of reaction? The opposite to what you administer the damn stuff for!! We had a hyperactive tornado tasmanian devil in a confined space for 9hrs 16mins and 46 secs. My, we were the most popular couple on the plane!!! NOT!
Old May 25th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

We are having a stopover this time. Partly to have a bit of relaxation before we get there. There are some nice hotels in Singapore such as the Shangri La Sentosa or you could take a ferry to Bintan which is 45 minutes away from SIngapore.

We have been offered a stopover in Dubai, but we are still not sure about that and are still debating between that and Bintan (probably the Club Med).

Decisions decisions We alo have two children and they are lookin forward to havin a stopover.
Old May 25th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

We are having a stopover this time. Partly to have a bit of relaxation before we get there. There are some nice hotels in Singapore such as the Shangri La Sentosa or you could take a ferry to Bintan which is 45 minutes away from SIngapore.

We have been offered a stopover in Dubai, but we are still not sure about that and are still debating between that and Bintan (probably the Club Med).

Decisions decisions We alo have two children and they are lookin forward to havin a stopover.
Old May 25th 2004, 6:27 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

Question

Is there an echo in here??
Old May 25th 2004, 6:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LaraandBryn

Hope you have a great stopover.

The bit about anti histamines is worth repeating.
They can cause some awful side effects and should never be used unless you know what the result will be.

Anything used as sedation can have 'rebound' effects and make the problem worse:scared:

This also applies to Alcohol and Sedatives such as Benzodiazepines like Valium etc.

It's a long flight. Don't make it worse than it need be.

G
Old May 25th 2004, 8:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Myself, I would prefer to get it over in one, crash out for a week and have it over with. There's too much hassle for me, stopping over: taxis, hotel checkin, unpacking, etc etc - and then all over again!

Mrs Rog however prefers to spend a couple of nights in SIN, NRT or whatever.

Leave you to guess what we do.........

The poster who says that jetlag is "just tiredness" - you must be one of the fortunate minority who doesn't suffer that much! If you're like me, you are knackered for a week after an Oz trip. Been back a week tomorrow now and still only getting 2 1/2 hrs a night!
Old May 25th 2004, 8:20 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I'm considering going the long way round, via US, with a series of stopovers in New York, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Sydney, Ayers Rock before finally arriving in Adelaide.

I'm probably nuts as it'll cost an arm and a leg but my mum's coming with me for a few weeks, so it's a trip of a lifetime for her (and me too!).

My only worry apart from the organising of accommodation, transfers etc is that I'm planning to do this in September and there could be an issue with increased security due to the anniversary of 9/11....

Elaine M
Old May 25th 2004, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights - stopovers or not??

Originally posted by mrttennis
Cheers Oztennis - Are you a tennis fan or in the tennis business? I'm a coach on the south coast who's happy at our house sale falling through and then going again (yesterday) as it means I can use my Wimbledon tickets!!
Yep, but a part time coach (Level 2 or CCA) in the south of Scotland, I have a 'day job' so haven't bothered with Level 3. When we move to Melbourne eventually I will do some tennis coaching, either part or full time. The club we play at in Melbourne is where one Mark Phillipoussis learned the game (until his father took over and taught him to just hit everything at a million miles an hour which he is now suffering for!). The guy who coached him originally is still there and he can give me as many hours as I want. We go out to Melbourne at the start of the 2nd week of Wimbledon so it will be late nights watching it 9 hours ahead over there.

You might be interested in these links:

http://www.coachingtennis.com.au/pag...ult.aspx?id=34
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au (click on state links also)

PM me if you want so we don't bore these people with our tennis talk!

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Re the jet lag
I dont know if we were just extremely lucky,but all 4 of us were fine following our trip at easter(both Ways)we even went to work the following day and the kids went to school.Hubby used to fly a lot with his work and swears by putting yourself in the time zone of your destination for the last part of the journey. We arrived early morning and he forced,yes forced ,us to stay awake for the rest of the day(i felt like Sh&&)but the following day was fine,same happened on the return journey.Booze helped as well.

What are people doing about luggage on stopover,can you still get double the allowance if you do this,or is that being too greedy.
Thanks
donna
Old May 25th 2004, 10:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by andrew63
I would take the businessclass if it were me and I have done that journey over a dozen times- mostly on economy and mostly with stops.
i'll second that well worth it if its in your budget.

Old May 25th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
I have heard that as well and actually tried it when I flew to the Maldives and it really does work!! I set my watch to their time and adjusted meals etc before I left and felt fine when I arrived and although tired from the journey didn't feel jetlagged like normal. Have heard of a few others doing this and seems to work!
Travelling business class also helps as you have a lot more room to relax - definitely worth it on a long flight!!
KayCee
Old May 25th 2004, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

this thread just reminded me of one trip, when i flew straight through, had about 8 vodkas after landing, went to bed and woke up totally fresh, bright and early the next morning, feeling much better than my fellow drinkers who hadn't travelled.

Old May 25th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

see i knew that vodica had medicinal benefits
Old May 25th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: flights - stopovers or not??

Originally posted by OzTennis
Yep, but a part time coach (Level 2 or CCA) in the south of Scotland, I have a 'day job' so haven't bothered with Level 3. When we move to Melbourne eventually I will do some tennis coaching, either part or full time. The club we play at in Melbourne is where one Mark Phillipoussis learned the game (until his father took over and taught him to just hit everything at a million miles an hour which he is now suffering for!). The guy who coached him originally is still there and he can give me as many hours as I want. We go out to Melbourne at the start of the 2nd week of Wimbledon so it will be late nights watching it 9 hours ahead over there.

You might be interested in these links:

http://www.coachingtennis.com.au/pag...ult.aspx?id=34
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au (click on state links also)

PM me if you want so we don't bore these people with our tennis talk!

OzTennis
OZ T
I will check out those link as my 9 year old loves Tennis and plays every day and I want to get her some coaching as she is pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.