Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights and stopovers

Flights and stopovers

Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights and stopovers

Hi, I know there is a lot of choice out there, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations about a stopover for 3 or 4 nights before continuing on to Oz, ie hotels, easy airport transfers, cities do-able in 3 days with kids or worth the visit.

Cathay Pacific have a sale on at the moment so Hong Kong is looking favourable.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights and stopovers

Hong Kong is one of my most fave places to be and a few days is more than enough.The public transport is cheap clean and reliable.....eating out ultra cheap,accomodation variable but plentiful........a good choice IMHO.However if you have small kids,it may be a bit tricky getting around in the crowds !
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

brandyslad is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone any experience of a stop of in Kuala Lumpar??
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brandyslad
Has anyone any experience of a stop of in Kuala Lumpar??
Not a stopover as such but I have been to KL; fun place for a couple of days, good food and shopping, nightmare traffic and taxi drivers.

OP - a lot of people stopover in Singapore. Do a search of this forum and maybe click the link in my signature for lots of info.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore- we stayed 2 nights and took DD to the night safari at the zoo- absolutely brilliant. Also went round temples and did some shopping, stocking up on cheap shoes and t-shirts etc.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice

Originally Posted by movingaway
Hi, I know there is a lot of choice out there, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations about a stopover for 3 or 4 nights before continuing on to Oz, ie hotels, easy airport transfers, cities do-able in 3 days with kids or worth the visit.

Cathay Pacific have a sale on at the moment so Hong Kong is looking favourable.

Thanks for your help
You could stay at the Disney Land Hotel in Hong Kong. That would be great for the kids. We stopped there on the coach to let people off and it looked fantastic.
Claire
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

We just stayed in Singapore in November for 2 nights with a 4 year old and 1 year old and had a fantastic time. Did some shopping and walking around the city. We had a hotel with a pool which passed a few hours on.

My friend lived in KL and she used to drive to Singapore for the day as she said there was more to do.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:50 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Consider flying with JAL. Sometimes the flight includes a free stop over at Narita Airport which is pretty easy to do with free transfer from airport to hotel. Not a lot to see there unless you go into Tokyo by train, but good if you want to sleep in a bed to break the trip up.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I have lived in Hong Kong for a considerable amount of time and also spent some time in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. For two or three days at a maximum I would recommend, in order of merit, HKG, SIN then KL. I don't know when you intend to travel but now up to May is OK. Later and you will suffer high heat and humidity. HK has more to see and do and their English is not that bad (if you stay out of the remote areas). Ask if there is anything else you need to know.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

I would recommend Kuala Lumpur - been there a couple of times and am going back again. One of the safest cities I have been to. Airport to central KL via a non-stop train only 28 minutes.

One of the highlights is visiting the Petronas Twin Towers - free admission (for the first 800 tickets) if you queue early.

No, I don't work for the Malaysia Government etc
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n_n_d
I would recommend Kuala Lumpur - been there a couple of times and am going back again. One of the safest cities I have been to.
I dread to think where else you've been.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Probably Sunderland.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Seasider
I dread to think where else you've been.
Wherever I say, I'm sure I will offend some-one
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:12 am
Auntie Fa

In serious mode, KL is a fun place but anyone visiting shouldn't be complacent.

I was told (by my Malay hair stylist in Singapore) that bag snatching by guys on motorbikes is very common; I was also told that carrying your bag diagonally across your body can make it worse as people have been dragged down the street that way.

Singapore it ain't.