Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights/Return/Oneway?

Wikiposts

Flights/Return/Oneway?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:16 am
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Flights/Return/Oneway?

Can anyone with experience give info on whether we can get the 40kg baggage allowance with an open ended ticket (I've heard of (but not looked into yet) people getting a return ticket and keeping it open for up to a year is this right or was I dreaming?)
Thanks For any info
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice
Default Re: Flights/Return/Oneway?

We have return flights valid for a year but don't get the extra baggage allowance but we are on a 457 temp visa and having a 2 day stopover in dubai, we are flying with enirates and I have heard that they are quite strict with their baggage alowance.

If you do manage to secure extra baggage allowanc make sure you get it in writing.

Good luck

pen8uin
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:24 am
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pen8uin
We have return flights valid for a year but don't get the extra baggage allowance but we are on a 457 temp visa and having a 2 day stopover in dubai, we are flying with enirates and I have heard that they are quite strict with their baggage alowance.

If you do manage to secure extra baggage allowanc make sure you get it in writing.

Good luck

pen8uin
Thanks, we have heard that you have to get it in writing that its 40kg and not 35kg plus 5kg hand luggage
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:25 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben1
Can anyone with experience give info on whether we can get the 40kg baggage allowance with an open ended ticket (I've heard of (but not looked into yet) people getting a return ticket and keeping it open for up to a year is this right or was I dreaming?)
Thanks For any info
email recieved from singapore air last friday

Sent: 04 August 2006 17:08
To: steve
Subject: RE:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.

Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.

Its approximately GBP30.00 per per extra kg if taking excess baggage.

All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
"steve" <[email protected]>
08/02/2006 04:56 PM
To:
cc:

Hi there

Further to my previous email in march ( copy below )
Is it still the case that migrants are allowed 40kg allowance each providing The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely.

I hold a skilled permanent residence visa 136 that has yet to be validated
we intend to fly out on the 8th oct this year and we wish to book with your company on line but I cannot find any reference of this service in the booking website

Regards

Steve xxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please e-mail [email protected]

hope this helps

ps it dont say owt about 1 way tickets so i suggest that you email the helpdesk and see

regards steve

Last edited by Sue; Aug 6th 2006 at 9:05 am. Reason: email address removed
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:31 am
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by steve`o
email recieved from singapore air last friday

Sent: 04 August 2006 17:08
To: steve

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.

Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.

Its approximately GBP30.00 per per extra kg if taking excess baggage.

All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
"steve" <[email protected]>
08/02/2006 04:56 PM
To:
cc:

Hi there

Further to my previous email in march ( copy below )
Is it still the case that migrants are allowed 40kg allowance each providing The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely.

I hold a skilled permanent residence visa 136 that has yet to be validated
we intend to fly out on the 8th oct this year and we wish to book with your company on line but I cannot find any reference of this service in the booking website

Regards

Steve xxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please e-mail [email protected]

hope this helps

ps it dont say owt about 1 way tickets so i suggest that you email the helpdesk and see

regards steve

Thanks for the info Steve very helpful, don't fancy being too many Kg's over at them prices :scared:
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

We want to fly with Singapore airlines, but we want to do a stop over for 2 days so I take it that we won't be able to get the 40kg baggage allowance even though we will have the right visa?

Ange
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future

Thanks For any info
Hi,
i phoned emirates & they told me that the travel agent has to see my pr visa, and that they should get it put onto the tickets. as long as it is a one way ticket, is the validation trip & i have the right visa.

out of interest i paid £1551 for 2 adults & 2 children one way for november 24th 2006. this was with 'Going places'! it beat my best quote by £500!

good luck

simon

Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:15 am
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by cakeychef
Hi,
i phoned emirates & they told me that the travel agent has to see my pr visa, and that they should get it put onto the tickets. as long as it is a one way ticket, is the validation trip & i have the right visa.

out of interest i paid £1551 for 2 adults & 2 children one way for november 24th 2006. this was with 'Going places'! it beat my best quote by £500!

good luck

simon

Thanks, I might just have to try Going Places
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
We want to fly with Singapore airlines, but we want to do a stop over for 2 days so I take it that we won't be able to get the 40kg baggage allowance even though we will have the right visa?

Ange

I called singapore airlines last week, i started a thread on this a few weeks ago. They said we will still get the 40kg if we do a stopover as long as overall ticket is one way, pr visa and not validated yet. Also as we r flying from glasgow it will be BA or BMI to London heathrow as a co-share, and they said thry'll honour it from their end if have evidence from singapore airlines as carrying main journey.

hope this helps

sarah-jayne
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:46 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cakeychef
Hi,

good luck

simon

Do you have a web address for Going Places?
Thx

Last edited by ridds; Aug 7th 2006 at 8:49 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Steve very helpful, don't fancy being too many Kg's over at them prices :scared:
I flew with United last week. Their standard luggage allowances are as follows:

2 items, not exceeding 23kg each = 46kg

1 item of hand luggage - Unspecified mass, but dimensionally resticted (quite large though)

1 personal item - Usually a laptop in a case. again, unspecified mass.

BUT.... here's the good bit....

They will allow you up to 32kg in each of your two checked bags for the bargain basement cost of just US$50! (£26 today) per item. Mustn't exceed 32kg though as that is the loading limit at heathrow. So, for an extra £52 your luggage allowance with United Airlines can actually be as much as 64kg + hand and laptop.

This is what I did last week, brandished my £52, only when I mentioned that I was emigrating to the check in clerk, he even waived the fee, though I suspect this was down to personal choice as opposed to company policy.

I hope that helps you out. It's all documented on their website at www.unitedairlines.co.uk under travel support. It's not very well written, so you may have to re read it but it is there in black and white.

S
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
I called singapore airlines last week, i started a thread on this a few weeks ago. They said we will still get the 40kg if we do a stopover as long as overall ticket is one way, pr visa and not validated yet. Also as we r flying from glasgow it will be BA or BMI to London heathrow as a co-share, and they said thry'll honour it from their end if have evidence from singapore airlines as carrying main journey.

hope this helps

sarah-jayne

Thanks Sarah-Jayne for that info. I'm going to book the flights as soon as my house sells.

Ange
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
Thanks Sarah-Jayne for that info. I'm going to book the flights as soon as my house sells.

Ange
yeah me too, its a thought. stress levels through the roof.

sarah-jayne
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:44 am
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
yeah me too, its a thought. stress levels through the roof.

sarah-jayne
Yeah thanks very much everyone for all the info! And I guess the stress is just part of getting what we all want?