Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

Wikiposts

flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:57 am
Just Joined

jonniep is an unknown quantity at this point

AirNZ is generally an excellent airline for leg room - their standard pitch is 34", as high as any other airline....2-3" more legroom than BA/Qantas which is a lot on a long flight!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jonniep
AirNZ is generally an excellent airline for leg room - their standard pitch is 34", as high as any other airline....2-3" more legroom than BA/Qantas which is a lot on a long flight!
I've always said that extra 2 inches makes all the difference.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:58 am
ceinwen

We have just flown over with Singapore and have a 3yr old and 4yr old.

They were excellent !!!!
Great kids meals even if they did include chocolate in EVERY meal .

An air hostess spent 20 mins playing with our youngest as she wouldnt sleep.

Fantastic film and tv selection ,kept my hubbie and eldest happy.

Only downsides were from London they didnt turn the lights off untill 1am and the kids were desperate to sleep and the 5 hrs in Singapore were a bit of a nightmare as it was late eve and we all wanted to sleep.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:02 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't fly Emirates again if they paid me. Bad food, rude stewards/essess, way too much pastel, very uncomfortable seats and, to top it all, they left our lugguge sitting on the runway in Dubai for a couple of days on our return, and couldn't have cared less about it! Apparently, Emirates lose luggage all the time, which makes you wonder how they ever became world's best airline or whatever acolade it was. The Bundy's Undies incident has been discussed numerous times on this forum!

That was back in November. Prior to that we had always flown BA/Qantas and never had a problem.

Next time we're aiming for Singapore Airlines, or maybe Brunei.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Air NZ are pretty good.They have good legroom. The seat pitch is the same on malaysian (34 ins.)and Malaysian have seatback videos and the rest.

Air NZ are part owned by Singapore.

As I have said I think Singapore are overrated.

Whatever the flight is always a pain!

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

Originally posted by delboy
would really love to hear some reccomendations on flights to oz,ie
Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room
service,as have a toddler
also what is the standards like "stars" rated at the singapore hotels

many thanks

We flew in December with 3 kids (including 2 year old twins!) and we found Malaysia airlines to be pretty good. Could have been better for the kids themselves, but they were well behaved (still can't believe it) so it wasn't a problem. Next month we are flying with Singapore mainly due to large number of good comments from other people, recommending singapore when flying with children.
Malaysia do have slightly more legroom than most which is a bonus.
Previously flown with:
qantas (before they linked with BA) 5 star, excellent!
BA never again
Malaysia pretty good, would go again
Garuda put BA to shame, a few stops but can't complain at the price we paid
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:55 am
Just Joined

jonniep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
We flew in December with 3 kids (including 2 year old twins!) and we found Malaysia airlines to be pretty good. Could have been better for the kids themselves, but they were well behaved (still can't believe it) so it wasn't a problem. Next month we are flying with Singapore mainly due to large number of good comments from other people, recommending singapore when flying with children.
Malaysia do have slightly more legroom than most which is a bonus.
Previously flown with:
qantas (before they linked with BA) 5 star, excellent!
BA never again
Malaysia pretty good, would go again
Garuda put BA to shame, a few stops but can't complain at the price we paid
There's a common theme here - Singapore are very good with kids...fantastic if you're a parent but maybe a warning to those of us who sit with trepidation as a family walks down the aisle of a plane towards the area we're sitting, hoping that they carry on walking down the plane to the very back, or as far away as possible!

Jonathon
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There's a common theme here - Singapore are very good with kids...fantastic if you're a parent but maybe a warning to those of us who sit with trepidation as a family walks down the aisle of a plane towards the area we're sitting, hoping that they carry on walking down the plane to the very back, or as far away as possible!

Jonathon

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by bundy
I wouldn't fly Emirates again if they paid me. Bad food, rude stewards/essess, way too much pastel, very uncomfortable seats and, to top it all, they left our lugguge sitting on the runway in Dubai for a couple of days on our return, and couldn't have cared less about it! Apparently, Emirates lose luggage all the time, which makes you wonder how they ever became world's best airline or whatever acolade it was. The Bundy's Undies incident has been discussed numerous times on this forum!

That was back in November. Prior to that we had always flown BA/Qantas and never had a problem.

Next time we're aiming for Singapore Airlines, or maybe Brunei.
mmm Bundy thats put me right off We had reserved flights with Emirates but now it does not seem such a good idea after all I am now thinking about flying over to the UK and flying from there. I have had a quote from ebookers for £489 per adult and 386 child one way from LR to LA with virgin then onto Brisbane with air NZ. There is a stopover for one week in La to visit Disney. Just wish I could make up my mind
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
We have flown with Cathay Pacific a couple of times now and they have always been excellent. Don't book via their website or agent as prices tend to be very high, call them direct and you will be pleasently suprised.

Very true....were flying Cathay Pacific xmas eve...prices on their website were very high...we paid less than half the quoted price......