Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

would really love to hear some reccomendations on flights to oz,ie
Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room
service,as have a toddler
also what is the standards like "stars" rated at the singapore hotels

many thanks
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights to oz ? who is the best and why?????

Originally posted by delboy
Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room

many thanks
Delboy
For me only Singapore or Malaysian are worth looking at. Emirates are meant to be good but I have no experience with them. I do not like BA or Qantas. Virgin use Malaysian planes and codeshare.

Malaysian have more legroom and comparable service to Singapore.
Singapore is a nice place to stop over and you get cheap rates on SIA stopover scheme. Most hotels are 5 star

I have stopped in Singapore many times and do not want to again( only because I have done it many times).
Kuala Lumpur is a great place but I used to stay there with my brother in law. Malaysian do some great stopover deals on Penang, Langkawi or KL.
Langkawi is great and duty free so cheap.

I am now using Malaysian because of the legroom. I have always found them OK and they now have seatback videos etc.
They are also a good deal through airline network:
www.airline-network.co.uk

If you have never been to Singapore I suggest it is worth a visit but don't get carried away with all the 'Cheap Deals' in the shops unless you really know what you are after.
As I have said before a 'jet-lagged' tourist is no match for a Singaporean salesman.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:38 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room

many thanks
BA and Qantas code share with eachother so check exactly who you will be flying with (not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference with them.

Emmerates are supposed to be a fantastic airline to fly with, they win many awards so it must say something. Althought Virgin Currently codeshare and use Malasian Airways flights (who are also suposed to be really good) Virgin start to fly to Oz sometime this year to Sydney via Hong Kong (I think) so depending when you are going it might be worth checking out.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:52 pm
mickj

From personal experience, these three have been very good:
quantas, singapore, and BA. The service on qantas was by far the best that we found. Try these websites for quotes, if you haven't already.

Expedia.co.uk, opodo.co.uk, flight centre

Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room

many thanks

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:59 pm
WBB

Originally posted by mickj
The service on qantas was by far the best that we found
really, i found them awful as do most.

generally singapore airlines get the best reviews on this site and we will be using them on our next jaunt.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:16 pm
WBB

have a look at this.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=221211

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaysian dont give you double baggage allowance, the only ones who dont for migrants
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nige37
Malaysian dont give you double baggage allowance, the only ones who dont for migrants
Wasn't aware of that as it has never applied.

May make a difference when we finally go.

Don't like lugging loads of luggage around anyway so maybe it won't.

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:38 am
Just Joined

jonniep is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only flown Emirates and found them to be excellent. I'm 6'4" so legroom is vital and they had the biggest economy seats I've ever flown in. If you're tall then BA/Qantas simply isn't an option in economy. However if you're flying business class then avoid them as their business class seats aren't a patch on BA or Singapore.

I flew London-Dubai-Singapore-Melbourne and returned Perth-Dubai-London. 1-2 hour stopovers throughout.

I also found them to be very accommodating when I changed the return leg to fly from Perth instead of Melbourne and also very good in allocating emergency seats to tall people where possible.

They appear to be the cheapest airline from London to Oz at the moment if you're flying around Xmas.

Cheers

Jonathon
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:49 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

We have flown with Cathay Pacific a couple of times now and they have always been excellent. Don't book via their website or agent as prices tend to be very high, call them direct and you will be pleasently suprised.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:09 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

all i can say is the last time i flew was with Korean air and they only showed 2 films on both legs of the flight. 1st leg was some late 80's cr@p, the second was some Korean flic with English subtitles. When you're sat 20 feet away from the closest screen (no seat backs on these 747s) it makes reading the subtitles a tad difficult. then, on the second leg they showed the same films but in reverse order. :O

that was a long flight!

still, i can't complain about the service otherwise, and the stewardesses..... erm.... well yes, very nice and friendly.

i haven't seen any prices for them while i've been looking for flights this time though. not sure if they're still going.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:17 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Nige37
FYI, nor do Cathay, even in Business Class. They have just stopped the 'one way ticket=2*allowance' scheme, a few weeks ago.

Anya.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point

Japan Air is also very good!
We're flying AMS-Cairns this summer (in highseason!!!) for 900 Euros each which is a great deal. Just a few hours stopover in Tokyo, so we bring snacks with us because Tokyo Airport is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE. But the planes are great. Have a nice trip!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

W're going via Auckland with AirNZ Economy.

Hopefully should be nice
(as nice as being sat bolt upright with 400 other people in a tin can for 24 hours can be...!)

Although I understand they don't have TV screens in the headrests...

What to do to entertain ourselves? read .... and then what?!
Longest flight I've been on was 9 hours and I was very glad to get there.

Think I may have to take up knitting
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:57 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheapest
comfort
stopover destination
leg room

many thanks

Delboy

We flew Singapore last time and this time Cathay Pacific and they were both superb. CP lots of leg room and brilliant staff.

Clevs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.