Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights to Oz from the UK

Flights to Oz from the UK

Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:39 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Flights to Oz from the UK

When we move to Oz, it will naturally be a one-way ticket. Having lived in America in the past, my experience is that one-way tickets are as much if mot more expensive that return flights.

What sort of tickets should we be looking for when we emmigrate from the UK to Oz? Should we go for return flights and just not use the return portion? Or are one-way tickets to Oz cheaper than returns?

- CDM
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:05 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to Oz from the UK

one way is cheaper for us at least, but not as cheap as I would have liked!

Ali x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

If you join a website called movingplanet and fly one way with Emirates and without any stopovers you can take 50kg of baggage each!!! That's what we are going to do in September.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by trevamather
If you join a website called movingplanet and fly one way with Emirates and without any stopovers you can take 50kg of baggage each!!! That's what we are going to do in September.
How much are the flights guys on average?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:33 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you can go one way for as little as £580 in September.
We want to fly with Air Newzealand. 46kg luggage allowance, we can have two stopovers one in Auckland and the other either in Hawaii, San Francisco, Los Angeles or, I think, Bali? for £708 all in, the luggage allowance applies even if you are on a return ticket!

You can get the flights with the extra luggage allowance with Emirates even if you don't book through Moving planet, just tell them you have an unvalidated VISA. It's worth checking if you can get it cheaper though!

We went with Emirates last year, and frankly, I don't rate them.... I'd love to be able to afford to fly Virgin.... I might win the roll over on Saturday!

Ali x
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
OK, you can go one way for as little as £580 in September.
We want to fly with Air Newzealand. 46kg luggage allowance, we can have two stopovers one in Auckland and the other either in Hawaii, San Francisco, Los Angeles or, I think, Bali? for £708 all in, the luggage allowance applies even if you are on a return ticket!

You can get the flights with the extra luggage allowance with Emirates even if you don't book through Moving planet, just tell them you have an unvalidated VISA. It's worth checking if you can get it cheaper though!

We went with Emirates last year, and frankly, I don't rate them.... I'd love to be able to afford to fly Virgin.... I might win the roll over on Saturday!

Ali x
Just so you dont waste your money. Virgin Atlantic are without doubt one of the most overrated carriers imo and living on past glory to say the least.

They have some of the smallest seats in economy and for the same price as a Virgin Upper Class seat you can fly Malaysian First Class.

I used to travel Virgin a lot but gave up a few years ago. Very poor fight attendants, upper class service although ground breaking at the time is just so bad now and in my experience serves food which I'm pretty sure my dog would turn his nose up at.

I'd agree with Emirates being also overrated. When I fly now I choose an Asian airline out of preference. Singapore, Malaysian and Cathay are hard to beat (except dont fly Cathay to Brisbane because the KH to BNE route is operated by a Sessna Rustbucket from the ark still).
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:15 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
When we move to Oz, it will naturally be a one-way ticket. Having lived in America in the past, my experience is that one-way tickets are as much if mot more expensive that return flights.

What sort of tickets should we be looking for when we emmigrate from the UK to Oz? Should we go for return flights and just not use the return portion? Or are one-way tickets to Oz cheaper than returns?

- CDM
..and if luggage allowance isn't an issue (perhaps for those who've already validated), and you'r ethiking of flying back for a hol in the near future then perhaps return flights are better?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
Just so you dont waste your money. Virgin Atlantic are without doubt one of the most overrated carriers imo and living on past glory to say the least.

They have some of the smallest seats in economy and for the same price as a Virgin Upper Class seat you can fly Malaysian First Class.

I used to travel Virgin a lot but gave up a few years ago. Very poor fight attendants, upper class service although ground breaking at the time is just so bad now and in my experience serves food which I'm pretty sure my dog would turn his nose up at.

I'd agree with Emirates being also overrated. When I fly now I choose an Asian airline out of preference. Singapore, Malaysian and Cathay are hard to beat (except dont fly Cathay to Brisbane because the KH to BNE route is operated by a Sessna Rustbucket from the ark still).

Totally agree !
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

cazw1405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion

Ok scared now! we are flyinf Cathay to Brisbane via HK in September!!

Is it really that bad?? Scared!!

Caz
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:17 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Bookmarked. Is that moving planet site any good? Have requested a PIN. And that Air NZ deal seems good. How long does it take to arrive?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazw1405
Is it really that bad?? Scared!!
No it's not that bad. The route is operated by an Airbus A330. It's actually on average the newest type of plane in their fleet.