Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights: I'm gonna kill someone...

Flights: I'm gonna kill someone...

Old May 6th 2004, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Flights: I'm gonna kill someone...

We are off to do our validation visit at the end of the month, but my wife will be 24 weeks pregnant at the time of flying. Our flight to Oz goes via Singapore for a refuel stop.

Here's the fun part...

Although airlines allow flying at this stage of pregnancy, Qantas are reluctant since Singapore expects all pregnant women 24 weeks and over to have a Social Pass if you will be stopping over in Singapore. However, if you are not entering passport control, this is optional. Yet, Qantas are unsure of this and therefore suggest we get the pass.

So, to get this pass it takes two weeks and requires a letter of health from our doctor. The doctor refuses to offer a letter any more than one week in advance!

We're snookered... We don't need the pass, yet without it we risk Qantas not allowing us to board the plane. Singapore cannot be flexible with the application process and nor will our doctor.

Has anyone been through this kind of travel problem before and has any useful advise?

- Avron
Old May 6th 2004, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flights: I'm gonna kill someone...

Originally posted by AvronW
We are off to do our validation visit at the end of the month, but my wife will be 24 weeks pregnant at the time of flying. Our flight to Oz goes via Singapore for a refuel stop.

Here's the fun part...

Although airlines allow flying at this stage of pregnancy, Qantas are reluctant since Singapore expects all pregnant women 24 weeks and over to have a Social Pass if you will be stopping over in Singapore. However, if you are not entering passport control, this is optional. Yet, Qantas are unsure of this and therefore suggest we get the pass.

So, to get this pass it takes two weeks and requires a letter of health from our doctor. The doctor refuses to offer a letter any more than one week in advance!

We're snookered... We don't need the pass, yet without it we risk Qantas not allowing us to board the plane. Singapore cannot be flexible with the application process and nor will our doctor.

Has anyone been through this kind of travel problem before and has any useful advise?

- Avron
But you are not stopping over in Singapore are you? Just staying in the airport whilst plane refuels?

Don't see what Qantas' problem is. I'd check this again with someone at their end with more knowledge before you stress yourself any further
Old May 6th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

That's the stressing thing... Qantas don't seem to be able to make a clear decision, nor will offer us any form of guarantee that we will not encounter this same confusion at the checkin desk.

- Avron
Old May 6th 2004, 9:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

That's the stressing thing... Qantas don't seem to be able to make a clear decision, nor will offer us any form of guarantee that we will not encounter this same confusion at the checkin desk.

- Avron

Generally when you arrive at slingaminga airport you dont go thru passport control for an onward connecting flight, but, as you are swapping planes it may well be the case....

Why not take the doctor with you

Failing that can you not get a singapore connecting flight, perhaps check with singapore, and see if you need to go thru passport control for your boarding via qantas.

Alternatively get the missus to wear baggy clothes and pretend to be FAT
Old May 6th 2004, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

- Avron
Do they ask women how many months pregnant you are at check in?? As sjn says you aren't staying over, you are in transit so I too can't see the Qantas problem. If it remains a problem insist on asking to speak to the senior manager wherever to resolve it. Good luck with resolving this and the trip.

OzTennis
Old May 6th 2004, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

- Avron
Are you changing airlines in Singapore or flying Qantas all the way to Oz and just changing planes???

If you are just changing planes at Singapore you do not go through passport control, just go from gate to gate so apart from check-in at London you do not go through any check-in procedures again at Singapore - you are checked in for Singapore-Oz in London.

Flying at 24 weeks is OK with Qantas so still don't see their problem !!!
Old May 6th 2004, 9:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going through Singapore with Qantas, even if you are changing planes, as long as you are just transiting you don't have to "enter" Singapore.
You will be given your boarding card for the onward flight when you check in first - at Heathrow or wherever. They don't require you to have a visa or anything to enter Singapore because you are staying on the "airside" not going onto the "landside".
So no-one in Singapore will expect you tp have the papers you need to enter the country - because technically you aren't in it.

And as OzTennis said - they don't ask you at check-in how many months pregnant you are.
Old May 6th 2004, 9:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Are you changing airlines in Singapore or flying Qantas all the way to Oz and just changing planes???

If you are just changing planes at Singapore you do not go through passport control, just go from gate to gate so apart from check-in at London you do not go through any check-in procedures again at Singapore - you are checked in for Singapore-Oz in London.

Flying at 24 weeks is OK with Qantas so still don't see their problem !!!

Flying with emirates via dubai, and not departing on connecting flight immediately, we were requested to go thru passport control, however if you stay within the airport, ie departure side of passport control, im sure you dont go thru passport control, surely same would apply at singapore..
Old May 6th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

No, the flight only refuels (possibly changes planes) at Singapore.

At the time of booking my wife mentioned being pregnant and so it is on record and Qantas have raised concerns that she may need the Social Pass. They seem incapable of stating one way or the other that she needs or does not need the pass.

I just know my luck... and suspect that unless I somehow get someone senior in Qantas to clarify the position, a check-in clerk will be faced with this decision and you can guess which way that decision will go.

- Avron
Old May 6th 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

lorrainek is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to register with another DR who might be more helpful.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:18 am
Banned

No, the flight only refuels (possibly changes planes) at Singapore.

At the time of booking my wife mentioned being pregnant and so it is on record and Qantas have raised concerns that she may need the Social Pass. They seem incapable of stating one way or the other that she needs or does not need the pass.

I just know my luck... and suspect that unless I somehow get someone senior in Qantas to clarify the position, a check-in clerk will be faced with this decision and you can guess which way that decision will go.

- Avron

Im quite sure if you change air lines you need to go thru passport control, if you dont go thru passport control, whos gonna refuse travel the stewards I DONT THINK SO !, plus by the time ur on the plane, u will be guaranteed being dropped in OZ, and even if you are rebuffed under international law they must stamp your passport, VALIDATED !
Old May 6th 2004, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lorrainek
Wouldn't another doctor just say the same thing - it is because he or she is not permitted to certify about condition of pregnancy beyond one week? I still reckon its best for peace of mind to get a definitive answer (in writing or at least a name of a senior person that can be quoted to the possible 'jobsworth' check-in clerk).

OzTennis
Old May 6th 2004, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong, but he doesn't say they are changing airlines, just changing flights. I'm fairly sure that theres no need to go through Singapore passport control anyway, but if both flights are Qantas you definitely stay airside. I've been through there 4 times and never set foot in Singapore itself, just the no-mans-land of airside.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lorrainek
That's been a serious thought, but it seems that many doctors are not very keen on offering any letters stating a pregnant woman is "fit for travel". I suppose they see it as a risk since it could be seen that they are providing a guarantee.

- Avron
Old May 6th 2004, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
Wouldn't another doctor just say the same thing - it is because he or she is not permitted to certify about condition of pregnancy beyond one week? I still reckon its best for peace of mind to get a definitive answer (in writing or at least a name of a senior person that can be quoted to the possible 'jobsworth' check-in clerk).

OzTennis

Exactly my concern! I have been in situations before where the check-in clerk has had to make a pressured decision and it's always the easiest, low-risk one - the CYA (cover your arse) one.

- Avron