Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FLIGHTS FINALLY BOOKED !!! ANY TIPS???

FLIGHTS FINALLY BOOKED !!! ANY TIPS???

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

debbie76 will become famous soon enoughdebbie76 will become famous soon enough
Default FLIGHTS FINALLY BOOKED !!! ANY TIPS???

We are finally on our way..... we leave the UK on the 25th November. Does anyone have any useful tips, things they wish they had done or not done???
Any help would be gr8ly appreciated.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: FLIGHTS FINALLY BOOKED !!! ANY TIPS???

Originally Posted by debbie76
We are finally on our way..... we leave the UK on the 25th November. Does anyone have any useful tips, things they wish they had done or not done???
The only thing I wish I had done differently is brought my car with me. Although it is very expensive to import a car, it was a very nice car and I think with the loss I took selling it to a dealer in the UK it might even have been worth it financially.

Apart from that, no regrets.

Buzzy
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: FLIGHTS FINALLY BOOKED !!! ANY TIPS???

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The only thing I wish I had done differently is brought my car with me. Although it is very expensive to import a car, it was a very nice car and I think with the loss I took selling it to a dealer in the UK it might even have been worth it financially.

Buzzy
Hope you don't mind me asking, what sort of car did you have, was it a new car ?

Thanks,
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by debbie76
no tips as i have'nt made the move yet. just wanted to say good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

One thing we did ( after somebody recommended it on here ) was a book a night in a hotel the night before. We lived a couple of hours away from the airport so it was'nt the distance that was an issue.

Family and friends all wanted us to stay with them but thankfully we had booked the room. I say this because the day we left, I was a mess emotionally strung out. The kids were all crying, OH went mute. I guess pretty normal stuff but I was shocked by the enormity of the emotions. The hotel gave all of us the time we needed to get over the emotions (well at least be able to talk instead of snivel) and relax into our big adventure.

Good luck on your adventure.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:01 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
That was the X type?

I might import a decent car to make it worthwhile.
- UK/Europe to NZ,
- NZ to Oz
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the booking of a hotel the night before. We had a leaving party on the sunday afternoon, went straight to the hotel sunday night and the airport Monday morning. Said 1 huge goodbye. I don't think anything can prepare you for the goodbyes.

Take a couple of days when you get to Oz just to take stock and then start to re-do everything you un-did in the UK!

Most of all - enjoy!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Not sure who you're flying with, but we stopped in Singapore for two nights and splashed out for a top hotel. Broke up the trip and eased some of the stress.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

hk_1 will become famous soon enoughhk_1 will become famous soon enough

I wish you best of luck with the adventure, I will also be leaving on
Dec-05-2009, I hope everything goes well and this move brings
happiness into our lives.

regards,
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Hope you don't mind me asking, what sort of car did you have, was it a new car ?

Thanks,
Jaguar X-type diesel 3 years old. Sold for £10,000 in the UK

Buzzy
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:17 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

We booked our friends in a hotel the night before at the airport. Just as well as they broke down on the motorway on their way to the hotel!

We will be booking a hotel night before - just gives you time to breath for a while at a normal rate, have a long shower etc.

Very best of luck with the move - us next year!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flodsfive
One thing we did ( after somebody recommended it on here ) was a book a night in a hotel the night before. We lived a couple of hours away from the airport so it was'nt the distance that was an issue.

Family and friends all wanted us to stay with them but thankfully we had booked the room. I say this because the day we left, I was a mess emotionally strung out. The kids were all crying, OH went mute. I guess pretty normal stuff but I was shocked by the enormity of the emotions. The hotel gave all of us the time we needed to get over the emotions (well at least be able to talk instead of snivel) and relax into our big adventure.

Good luck on your adventure.
That's a good tip. We may do exactly the same.