Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights - british airways

flights - british airways

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:16 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default flights - british airways

hi folks.

just thought i'd ask a simple question.

why does british airways charge £679 for a return ticket and £2979 for a one way? both tickets economy including taxes.

can anyone offer any suggestions why they charge this? it's mental!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights - british airways

Originally posted by scutterUK
hi folks.

why does british airways charge £679 for a return ticket and £2979 for a one way? both tickets economy including taxes.

Hi Scutter. Are both prices quoted for the same date?

If so it's daft

Guess you'll be throwing The return away then. Still it lasts for a year Then throw it away.

G
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:30 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

hi folks.

Aircraft seats are sold at a variety of different prices.

Generally there will be a percentage of seats sold at 1 price then a further percentage at another etc etc

there can be 300 odd economy seats on a 747 and only 10 or so of them will be sold at the chaep price advertised, then the next lot will be sold at an increased fare and so on and so on untill the last few seats are sold at "full fare" often a week or so before that flight departs if not all seats are sold then the last few may be sold at a redused rate to ensure that there are as few as possable empty seats flying after all it is better to have sold that seat for a 100 quid than let it go empty.

Unfortunately 1way tickets are and have always been very expensive. they are basically near on always sold at full fare price. Dont ask me why but it has always been the way.

I would personally buy a return and not bother returning. that is of course you can find a good price on a single (this may be possable on the internet)

Cheers
Kala

PS welcome to the world of aviation. it never makes sense.
pps if you get a really good deal on a flight just look at the person siting next to you and have a little chuckle inside cos the chances are they paid a lot more than you!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:42 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi Scutter. Are both prices quoted for the same date?

If so it's daft

Guess you'll be throwing The return away then. Still it lasts for a year Then throw it away.

G

yup same dates and evening flights as well.... bonkers eh?

what makes it even more strange is that out of all the other airlines i've just checked direct online, they're the only airline to offer such a huge increase over a return ticket. With singapore airlines i can get a return heathrow to melbourne for £455, one way!

just out of interest the results of my research goes as follows. All prices are for 6th september from heathrow to melbourne.

cathay pacific - £500 one way including taxes
qantas - £979 one way including taxes
BA - £679 return including taxes
virgin - £905 return
singapore - £455 one way

i just had a look at travelbag.co.uk and for some reason they dont have ANY flights available....... i gave up after adjusting my search +- 3 days in either direction.

oh well the crazyness continues.

kala.... you've got an evil streak in there somewhere... hehe thanks for the info though, but it still makes no sense!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

With singapore airlines i can get a return heathrow to melbourne for £455, one way!
That's impressive Returning on a one way ticket

Seriously. Have you tried Airline Network

www.airline-network.co.uk

They are doing some good deals with Malaysian.
I am going next week £490 return Manchester-Sydney and they have more legroom than most.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:53 pm
life begins again...

That's impressive Returning on a one way ticket

Seriously. Have you tried Airline Network

www.airline-network.co.uk

They are doing some good deals with Malaysian.
I am going next week £490 return Manchester-Sydney and they have more legroom than most.

Good luck

G
maybe that's where i'm going wrong? i think that's the sort of ticket i'll end up getting a return but using it as a one way hehe.

thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:54 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

yup same dates and evening flights as well.... bonkers eh?

what makes it even more strange is that out of all the other airlines i've just checked direct online, they're the only airline to offer such a huge increase over a return ticket. With singapore airlines i can get a return heathrow to melbourne for £455, one way!

just out of interest the results of my research goes as follows. All prices are for 6th september from heathrow to melbourne.

cathay pacific - £500 one way including taxes
qantas - £979 one way including taxes
BA - £679 return including taxes
virgin - £905 return
singapore - £455 one way

i just had a look at travelbag.co.uk and for some reason they dont have ANY flights available....... i gave up after adjusting my search +- 3 days in either direction.

oh well the crazyness continues.

kala.... you've got an evil streak in there somewhere... hehe thanks for the info though, but it still makes no sense!
well her comes my nice streak

expedia.co.uk
price £424.70 (single on the 6th Sept) on Malasian airlines via Kuala Lumpa (this is the same flight as Virigin will sell you as they dont fly to Melbourne and have a code-share on Malasian.
Total travel time 22 hrs

So Am I a nice girl now???
Kala.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:55 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with the absurdness of it all.

We looked at some flights for Nov time but we were looking at taking time to travel there with some stopovers ie a sort of round the world ticket. If you wish to see some other places on the way, and why not, then this could be an option...

Here's a quote we had from Travebag..

Airfare: World Discovery with Qantas Airlines & British Airways £556.00 adults & children 12-18 and £471.00 children 02-11, all per person plus airport tax.

Stopover options: Heathrow to;-North American continent:-
Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.

Then: Los Angeles to Honolulu or Tahiti

Then: Honolulu or Tahiti to Auckland or Sydney

That's quite a bit cheaper than most people think they are.
Remember: :lecture: This is just one of many different options.
Advice: Shop around!

Last edited by GillettFamily; Jun 12th 2004 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:04 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by kala
well her comes my nice streak

expedia.co.uk
price £424.70 (single on the 6th Sept) on Malasian airlines via Kuala Lumpa (this is the same flight as Virigin will sell you as they dont fly to Melbourne and have a code-share on Malasian.
Total travel time 22 hrs

So Am I a nice girl now???
Kala.
i think i preferred your mean streak though (only joking)

thank you. i just got a similar price using graylings link as well.

My main problem is i need to coordinate a meeting with someone at heathrow before we then both fly to melbourne.... it gets a bit complicated. as we're both departing from different destinations arriving at the same time in heathrow, then once we get to melbourne i'll be flying on to canberra.

i'm just about to write out an email to trailfinders, who i used last time i went to aus, to see what they can come up with.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:07 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by GillettFamily

We looked at some flights for Nov time but we were looking at taking time to travel there with some stopovers ie a sort of round the world ticket. If you wish to see some other places on the way, and why not, then this could be an option...

Airfare: World Discovery with Qantas Airlines & British Airways £556.00 adults & children 12-18 and £471.00 children 02-11, all per person plus airport tax.

Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.

if i had the time i'd love to do something like that. unfortunately we (or should i say the other party) has to be in melbourne for the 10th of september.

next time. thanks for the advice, i certainly intend to.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by GillettFamily

These tickets are fantastic if you have time to stop and spend at least a few days at each location.

I work for an airline (quite obviously) and travel everywhere standby I was goin to Oz but couldn't get on my usual flight via Hong Kong because it was the school holidays and the Rugby 7's was on so the flights were full. After 3 days hangin at Heathrow I decided to go via LA. The flight nearly killed me, 12 hours to LA and then a 6 hour wait then on to Melbourne which was a further 14 hours. I can honestly say I did not get over the jet lag for 2 weeks.

Going that way on a holiday where you can stop off loads is great but if you are looking for a quick/cheap way to OZ i would honestly say DONT DO IT the extra 150 quid is well worth not being knackered for ages.

Just my oppinion

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Scutter
Does Sheffield's new airport do a connection to Heathrow?
I seem to remember you are from Donneh where I used to live.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:20 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

i think i preferred your mean streak though (only joking)

thank you. i just got a similar price using graylings link as well.

My main problem is i need to coordinate a meeting with someone at heathrow before we then both fly to melbourne.... it gets a bit complicated. as we're both departing from different destinations arriving at the same time in heathrow, then once we get to melbourne i'll be flying on to canberra.

i'm just about to write out an email to trailfinders, who i used last time i went to aus, to see what they can come up with.

Oh another bit of info then

Booking internal flights in OZ from here will usually cost loads, Just had a quick look at virgin Blue and they have flights going from MEL to Canberra on the 9th Sept (for example) and they are priced at $75 AUD 1 way. this fare is only available if booked in advance

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:32 pm
life begins again...

Scutter
Does Sheffield's new airport do a connection to Heathrow?
I seem to remember you are from Donneh where I used to live.

Good luck

G
i think they do, however i'll be closer to humberside as i will be moving back with the folks in sunny scunny mid august (ARGGGHH NOOOOO!!! :scared it's a shame finningly (sp) robin hood doncaster sheffield international nottingham derby airport isn't open yet.... (sorry local joke)

it is funny you mention it though, as i'm just about to have a look at their site. I will check out sheffield too, i'm not sure how 'international' or even national humberside international airport is these days. (i produced their first website when they only did flights to the end of the runway and back. )

additional: the site is as crap now as it was then...!

Last edited by scutterUK; Jun 12th 2004 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:37 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by kala
Oh another bit of info then

Booking internal flights in OZ from here will usually cost loads, Just had a quick look at virgin Blue and they have flights going from MEL to Canberra on the 9th Sept (for example) and they are priced at $75 AUD 1 way. this fare is only available if booked in advance

Cheers
Kala
$75!!!? that's erm.... (where's the calculator) £28!!!!! blooming echyfump that's cheap. it costs £50+ to get the train from donneh to kingscross!.......... :scared: (from scunny to donneh costs £8+ on the train and it's only a 30 min ride).

right.. that's another site i'm gonna check out, cheers for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.