Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights - Brisbane to UK ?? Help

Flights - Brisbane to UK ?? Help

Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Flights - Brisbane to UK ?? Help

Can anyone recommend a flight from Brisbane to UK? (Know this is in the wrong forum , but I need an answer rather quickly , which I won't get in the UK forum)

My head is in a tizzy, and don't know if I should go Sing airlines or what? Sing is my preference , they were great last time I flew them- but I would like any other recommendations too , just in case I can not get a flight with Sing at such short notice (Don't recommend Qantas - I will never fly with them again)

In any of your experience - which airline is the best for such a long trip.. ( chicken here when it comes to flying - I really do hate flying!)

I need to get back to the UK quick - ie flying back on the next available flight I can find.

anyway thanks for any replies. Must go, I feel quite sick, and my head is in a tizz, I can't think straight
Anyway, I'll check back a little later. Need an answer before 2pm

Cheers.

P.s Dotty if you read this - you went to the UK recently, what did you fly? Was it any good? . And did you have a decent break in-between flights (ie 8 hours etc) - don't think I can do the journey all in one hit.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:50 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thai Airlines/Malaysian for possible alternatives

Singapore would be my best bet - rate them above all others

Cheap but not cheerful (IMOP) Lauda Air- three flights though, through Austria

Travel back the other way round and use the american airlines?

Best of luck - hope everything is ok
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:55 am
Just Joined

coll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights - Brisbane to UK ?? Help

singapore are good,so are cathay pacific,japan are good to,but if I had to go in a hurry,it would be Singapore,(the service was really good)I'm in Brisbane and from the U.K,(also a nervous flyer) tell the airline of your fears and they will really look after you..,
Originally posted by Ceri
Can anyone recommend a flight from Brisbane to UK? (Know this is in the wrong forum , but I need an answer rather quickly , which I won't get in the UK forum)

My head is in a tizzy, and don't know if I should go Sing airlines or what? Sing is my preference , they were great last time I flew them- but I would like any other recommendations too , just in case I can not get a flight with Sing at such short notice (Don't recommend Qantas - I will never fly with them again)

In any of your experience - which airline is the best for such a long trip.. ( chicken here when it comes to flying - I really do hate flying!)

I need to get back to the UK quick - ie flying back on the next available flight I can find.

anyway thanks for any replies. Must go, I feel quite sick, and my head is in a tizz, I can't think straight
Anyway, I'll check back a little later. Need an answer before 2pm

Cheers.

P.s Dotty if you read this - you went to the UK recently, what did you fly? Was it any good? . And did you have a decent break in-between flights (ie 8 hours etc) - don't think I can do the journey all in one hit.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:55 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phone the Flight Centre and let them talk you through all the options...faster vs comfort vs cost etc...they really are good to deal with. You need a calm voice to guide you, I hope all goes well.

133 133

Last edited by Florida_03; Feb 17th 2004 at 12:58 am.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience Singapore and Cathay are the best. Malaysian and Emirates get a good press. BA if you pay for the premium economy.

JAL are OK and they put you up for a night on the way to the UK but I do not know what the connections are like. US Airline stewardesses have a reputation of being dragons.

Try www.zuji.com.au
www.webjet.com.au
www.travel.com.au for a ball park on prices. I am finding flight centre agents are incresingly lazy and you have to prompt them towards their specials and the timetable you want.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

For a decent agent try Trailfinders - I find them excellent when looking for alternatives and cheapest options especially with stop overs - sometimes have on the ground specials to take some of the heat out of the cost.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Singapore airlines are good: there is a flight out of brisbane 5 min to midnight most nights, which gets into Singapore about 5:30 sing time.

There are then 3 flights to London a day out of singapore, at 9:00am, 12:40 - 13:00 (depending on the day )and the last at 23:20pm
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:02 am

Originally posted by Sandra
For a decent agent try Trailfinders - I find them excellent when looking for alternatives and cheapest options especially with stop overs - sometimes have on the ground specials to take some of the heat out of the cost.
I have heard they make more effort for the customer.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Ceri, we went Singapore economy class. It was fine, nothing special, but economy is pretty ordinary isn't it. The plane was clean, the staff were helpful, the food was dreadful some of the worst I have had so just take a few bits of stuff of your own. They really kept up the water, apples, OJ etc tho so missing meals did not matter. All the flights were on time etc. Screens in your seat if you enjoy TV. Good connectons, as in no huge waits at airports. They have that many flights tho I am sure it would be easy to break the journey and stay at a hotel for a night. ,

Lots of sick children on our flights tho, as you dont have kids, ask to sit further to the back of any section, the kids consistantly were in the front 5 rows of each cabin. No offence to people with kids, just I know Ceri does not have them

As for trailfinders they have always been very helpful to us, cant fault them so far.

Hope everything is OK Ceri, always worrying when someone has to go back quickly.

Last edited by dotty; Feb 17th 2004 at 1:27 am.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to Brisbane using Singapore.

I thought the food was good and as it's not a massive plane it felt less crowded than Quantas. However on both sectors I managed to get an (aisle) seat with the electronics for the fancy TV screens in a big box under it. This meant no room to stretch one leg, nor space for handbag. I don't know whether check in staff have sufficient information but I'd recommed requesting a seat without the electronics under if possible.

Singapore Airport is good. There's an area with dimly lit seats for a bit of a kip, and free internet access if you have a laptop.

Best wishes,
TC
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanks - Yes, I've flown Thai and Malaysian in the past both are good .. don't think I'd fancy American airlines - I'd feel like one big flying target ( I have a fear of flying at the best of times)

I've never flown Japan airlines - that may be a possible option too.

Death in the family, that's why I need to get back. Knew it would come sooner or later , but not this soon. Nothing quite prepares you for how you feel millions of miles away when you should be there - feel helpless.

I've been writing a list of what I need to take - brit driving licence , phone numbers - I'm going to bung a few jumpers in a hold all , and probably buy some clothes over there.. don't think I have any "tidy" thick winter clothes over here. just the usual scruffy jumpers.

Hubby is going to drive me to" flight centre" - I don't think I can go to the shop by myself - feel sick. - I'd probably end up doing something stupid and booking Aeroflot or something!

what a way to go home eh . Not sure when I'm coming back.. so that's the other thing I need to do, is book an open return ticket or a one way, then buy another one in UK to come back. Not even sure I can even get on this plane (I'm that bad at flying)- I normally have hubby to fly with on these long trips - he usually gets a bruised hand while taking off - I wonder if the person in the next seat will enjoy having their hand broken by a crazed woman.
singapore arlines I probably will be flying if I can get a flight with them.
Anyway I'm rambling now, signing off.

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:00 am

You should be able to get an open return. You may have to pay extra if your return date jumps into high season or they run out of seats. Either way it is cheaper than 2 singles.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
Thanks - Yes, I've flown Thai and Malaysian in the past both are good .. don't think I'd fancy American airlines - I'd feel like one big flying target ( I have a fear of flying at the best of times)

I've never flown Japan airlines - that may be a possible option too.

Death in the family, that's why I need to get back. Knew it would come sooner or later , but not this soon. Nothing quite prepares you for how you feel millions of miles away when you should be there - feel helpless.

I've been writing a list of what I need to take - brit driving licence , phone numbers - I'm going to bung a few jumpers in a hold all , and probably buy some clothes over there.. don't think I have any "tidy" thick winter clothes over here. just the usual scruffy jumpers.

Hubby is going to drive me to" flight centre" - I don't think I can go to the shop by myself - feel sick. - I'd probably end up doing something stupid and booking Aeroflot or something!

what a way to go home eh . Not sure when I'm coming back.. so that's the other thing I need to do, is book an open return ticket or a one way, then buy another one in UK to come back. Not even sure I can even get on this plane (I'm that bad at flying)- I normally have hubby to fly with on these long trips - he usually gets a bruised hand while taking off - I wonder if the person in the next seat will enjoy having their hand broken by a crazed woman.
singapore arlines I probably will be flying if I can get a flight with them.
Anyway I'm rambling now, signing off.

Thanks
Oh Ceri, so sorry to hear this, youve probably just signed off, but I am sorry anyway Weve been through this twice, its so hard. Tell the airline whats happened, they may find you a more private seat or something. Thinking of ya. Dots
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

WARDY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights Brisbane to UK

Hi Ceri

Sorry to hear your news, hope the travel plans go well for you.

My parents flew Emirates Gatwick to Brisbane and return and thought they were great. Depends which airport you need to get to.

Hope that helps a bit

Best wishes
Caryn
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ceri,
So sorry to hear you have to fly back for the worst reason; do make sure you tell the airline why you're going and get them to take care of you. Also, that may mean you stand a better chance of getting a seat - I've had friends who have been put on flights while regular travellers were bumped off, after explaining thereason for needing the flight at short notice.

Lots of hugs and good wishes from us to you.

Pollyana & The Bloke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.