Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights booked, panic set in

Flights booked, panic set in

Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice
Default Flights booked, panic set in

We've just booked our flights to Sydney for 27 July. We'll be arriving with our 2 young daughters having never visited Australia before - and we don't know a soul (yes, I realise this is a bit crazy).

We'll have about 6 weeks to get ourselves organised before I start work in the Lane Cove area.

We were thinking of booking a holiday let for a couple of weeks upon arrival - do you think this the most practical option and will 2 weeks give us sufficient time to find a furnished rental as I've heard the they are hard to come by.

Any advice on accommodation and/or tips on what else we should be doing in these 6 weeks would be very gratefully received.

Mhairi
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights booked, panic set in

Originally Posted by Mhairi
We've just booked our flights to Sydney for 27 July. We'll be arriving with our 2 young daughters having never visited Australia before - and we don't know a soul (yes, I realise this is a bit crazy).

We'll have about 6 weeks to get ourselves organised before I start work in the Lane Cove area.

We were thinking of booking a holiday let for a couple of weeks upon arrival - do you think this the most practical option and will 2 weeks give us sufficient time to find a furnished rental as I've heard the they are hard to come by.

Any advice on accommodation and/or tips on what else we should be doing in these 6 weeks would be very gratefully received.

Mhairi
I know just how you feel. We are going the first week in July, well that's if we can get a flight, we haven't booked yet :scared:

I'm at a loss of what to do as well, but I find just doing a few things at a time is getting it done.

I need to sort out accomodation, which I'll do next week. I have to wait for cable to take the international call barring off, I asked them to do it last month and the month before

I'm sure we will get there in the end.

Good luck to you
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I know just how you feel. We are going the first week in July, well that's if we can get a flight, we haven't booked yet :scared:

I'm at a loss of what to do as well, but I find just doing a few things at a time is getting it done.

I need to sort out accomodation, which I'll do next week. I have to wait for cable to take the international call barring off, I asked them to do it last month and the month before

I'm sure we will get there in the end.

Good luck to you

hi wends your not on ntl are you
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi wends your not on ntl are you
No, Telewest
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Mhairi
Hi Mhairi,

there is some advice on renting both temporary accommodation and something a bit more permanent here: www.yellabrickroad.com/tempaccom and www.yellabrickroad.com/propertyrent

They should point you in the direction of some of the places you can try.

Where abouts in Sydney are you aiming for? I believe the competition is quite steep for rentals especially furnished, but being prepared certainly seems to help!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:06 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Mhairi

have you checked
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=ren
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

Frenchs Forest and Davidson look like a reasonable commute (on the map!!) to Lane Cove which is where my job is, so were thinking of ultimately buying in that area. Thank you for the links to temp and rental, I'll check these out. Despite the difficulties in finding rental accommodation, I'm assuming it's still best to do this upon arrival rather than in advance as I've head the descriptions do not always reflect reality.

Mhairi

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hi Mhairi,

there is some advice on renting both temporary accommodation and something a bit more permanent here: www.yellabrickroad.com/tempaccom and www.yellabrickroad.com/propertyrent

They should point you in the direction of some of the places you can try.

Where abouts in Sydney are you aiming for? I believe the competition is quite steep for rentals especially furnished, but being prepared certainly seems to help!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:21 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
No, Telewest
haven't NTL taken over Telewest???
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Frenchs Forest and Davidson look like a reasonable commute (on the map!!) to Lane Cove which is where my job is, so were thinking of ultimately buying in that area. Thank you for the links to temp and rental, I'll check these out. Despite the difficulties in finding rental accommodation, I'm assuming it's still best to do this upon arrival rather than in advance as I've head the descriptions do not always reflect reality.

Mhairi
Ah but those mapss can be deceptive because they are on such a different scale to the UK! I'm not really familiar with those areas so I don't know, I am experienced with taking 4 hours to drive a distance we estimated to take about an hour and a half though!

Personally I believe it's better to wait until you get there to find a rental, it is so hard to judge something from a picture and a description, especially when at times it can be inacurate, but i know there are others who will differ. The other advantage of waiting until you get there is that it gives you the chance to check out the area before signing up to be there for 6 months or a year.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:44 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by suzimc
Ah but those mapss can be deceptive because they are on such a different scale to the UK! I'm not really familiar with those areas so I don't know, I am experienced with taking 4 hours to drive a distance we estimated to take about an hour and a half though!

Personally I believe it's better to wait until you get there to find a rental, it is so hard to judge something from a picture and a description, especially when at times it can be inacurate, but i know there are others who will differ. The other advantage of waiting until you get there is that it gives you the chance to check out the area before signing up to be there for 6 months or a year.
i wouldn't advocate getting a rental via the web either
but it is a good tool to see how many rentals that are in the area of your choice and how much rent is been asked for these properties
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

That's good advice. I guess we should book some temporary accommodation before we arrive though, at least for the first couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a decent holiday letting agency/mobile home site or reasonable hotel in North Sydney? We will be arriving at 10.00 am in the morning, but I'm sure we'll be too knackered to start searching for something then.

Originally Posted by steve`o
i wouldn't advocate getting a rental via the web either
but it is a good tool to see how many rentals that are in the area of your choice and how much rent is been asked for these properties
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's good advice. I guess we should book some temporary accommodation before we arrive though, at least for the first couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a decent holiday letting agency/mobile home site or reasonable hotel in North Sydney? We will be arriving at 10.00 am in the morning, but I'm sure we'll be too knackered to start searching for something then.

Try these.

http://www.big4.com.au/public/index....d=40&stateid=2
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would definitely suggest getting that bit booked up front. There are some great deals if you look on some of the last minute sites, and once you find something you can check it out on Trip Advisor www.tripadvisor.com to make sure it does what it says on the tin before you commit yourself to it. The place Wendy suggested seems to be recommended often too.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know yes they have.

Originally Posted by sparks124
haven't NTL taken over Telewest???