British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flights Are Booked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flights-booked-109432/)

jopaulss Jul 13th 2002 12:03 pm

Flights Are Booked

Hi all
Well today we have been and booked the flights , we are going october to dubai for 3 nights then through to perth , 3 adults and 1 child £1474 with Emirates . Now we have loads to do just cant get our heads around it at the moment , so we are going to a barbie tonight ( practice run ) to celebrate. Then well start next week with the sorting out of everything.
Joanne

rday Jul 13th 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Flights Are Booked

oh my gawd
i bet one minute your doing that long endless wait,then all of a sudden things are going haywire,and u got to pinch yourselfes,
what r u doing about accomodation when u get there?
rday

SuzeM Jul 13th 2002 3:36 pm

Hi Joanne
So excited for you, enjoy your barbie, I'm sure there'll be plenty more!
Sue

SuzeM Jul 13th 2002 4:49 pm

Another thought Jo
Does your Mother know yet??????????????
Sue

yvsie Jul 13th 2002 5:05 pm

Hi Jo,

That sounds a good deal...

Well done

Speak later!!

kitkatz Jul 13th 2002 7:14 pm

Hi - I'm just looking at flights at the moment - was that price for everyone or each?

J

col Jul 13th 2002 7:25 pm

Joanne
it's a funny old game in'it!
Looked at flights for mid august to Perth ain't booked nuthin yet want to sell the cars at the end of the month and not sure how long it will take. Had a quote though, 3 adults one child singapore airlines 1900 beer tokens stopping off in singapore for 3 maybe 4 nites. not bad I thought. Enjot the barbie!!!

Col

jopaulss Jul 14th 2002 8:02 am

The £1474 was for all of us we booked at co-op travel . we tried austravel and all the others but they were no match. Good luck with booking yours paul.

Alan Collett Jul 14th 2002 9:58 am

Joanne,

Did Emirates give you the extra baggage allowance?

hibee Jul 15th 2002 6:48 am

Hi Joanne,
Looks like you got a good deal , must be getting excited now.

Speak Soon
Jamie

pread Jul 15th 2002 8:48 am

We managed to get a price of 1,982 Euros (1,250 quid-ish) for Munich-Dubai-Melbourne with the Emirates' website, that's for 2 adult and 2 child tickets, one-way. Unfortunately, they don't do any extra baggage deals for Emigrants, but as they're the only airline to fly from Munich, we're not complaining too much. Other alternatives were to pickup BA/Qantas from Frankfurt (3-4 hour drive), or go via London. With all the baggage we're carting around, we just didn't want the hassle, and it would have cost more, I think about 300 quid extra for the Frankfurt option. We could send an extra 100Kg of excess baggage through airfreight for that kind of money, and it only takes 20 minutes to get to the airport...

It all feels a bit more real now...

sophia Jul 15th 2002 10:41 am

Hi guys

Joanne it's exciting isn't it once you've actually booked the flights? We've gone through Austravel as we used them before and really rated them. We fly out on 18th September with Singapore airlines and got our flights for £522 per adult (2 of us) and £392 for our 2 year old...so almost as cheap as yours.

I rang SA and got the double luggage allowance for Gareth, but because Austin and I are Aussie Citizens we don't qualify for the migration allowance :( never mind, I guess 80kilos between 3 of us will just HAVE to do ;)

We've decided to have a weeks stopover in Brissie to get over the emotions of the last couple of days in the UK (families going to have a major wobbler, I just know it!!) and to get over the jetlag before we hit our rellies in Rockingham...you just know they will have an action packed itinery from the second we land!!

Also, we decided to join Krisworld/Qantas frequent flyer scheme, as although we won't be that frequent a flyer, can you imagine how many airmiles you'll get for going to OZ?? We figure that eventually we'll collect enough airmiles to be able to do some of our trips back to the UK for free (although we do realise we'll probably have to pay for a few first;))

Good luck with everything Joanne/Paul...hope everything goes well for you.

love sophia xx

jopaulss Jul 15th 2002 2:55 pm

Hi Alan and Pread
Just phoned our travel agent , who has made the enquirey for me about the extra baggage allowance. She has just phoned back and said yes we are allowed to take 40 kgs each !!!!! as we are going one way etc .
Hope this helps , we had forgotten all about it to tell you the truth. Mind you Pread i dont understand how come you have been told no ?
Regards Joanne

pread Jul 15th 2002 3:07 pm

Joanne,

We were specifically told by Emirates HQ in Dubai that "Turning to your query of baggage allowances, unfortunately Emirates have no special baggage allowances for migrating passengers and your baggage allowance is as stated on the ticket at the point of sale."

Have to clarify this...

pread Jul 16th 2002 2:28 pm

Been told by Emirates sales that "Unfortunately passengers only receive the 40Kg if they are emigrating, and that is from the UK only. For one reason or another that is not offered from Germany, unless the passengers send a fax into the head office in Frankfurt requesting it". Sent the fax, awaiting their reply. I don't know if travelling on a 457 rather than PR makes a difference, our flights are still only one-way. But the sales assistant was really helpful, we've pre-booked all seats, and they've ordered a birthday cake for our son, who turns 4 the day before we fly. Can't recommend Emirates highly enough.