Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Re: Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

I found Qantas and Emirates similar in price, but Qantas (also Virgin Australia) don't seem to fly direct, they go to other Australian airports first. Thanks for your help guys, I'll have to keep researching. It is just so frustrating when found what I want and was a bit of a shock to see it change so drastically. I expected may fluctuate by maybe up to $200 in total but not that much. I've done 20 flights over the last 12 months, and not seen a change like that.

Last edited by LeeWillo; Mar 1st 2013 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's always worth knowing what is a good price and booking it when you find it - things have a habit of changing.

What is probably worth doing is seeing if other airlines have implemented (or will soon) some cheaper fares (eg KLM?) in this new month. To me $3850 for an adult and toddler isn't a particularly good fare anyway.
A 2 year old will pay a child fare, not an infant one...so it will be at least 75% of the adult price. These fares were available right through European summer - these were really good fares for that period (for an Aus-UK booked on a single ticket).
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

My wife has found the original emirates flight, for the original price, on a US website. I can only assume it is because it is still yesterday there!! She tried booking it online but it got confused as our son is 1 on the outbound leg, and it is his birthday while away so he will be 2 when returning. She is on the phone to them now, my fingers are very much crossed that this goes through!!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget also the prices will be on an upward trend anyway as the northern spring / summer approaches. Will go down again for a little while between September and October before the Christmas rush.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Woohoo it worked! I got the 'sale' price (Booking confirmation email etc received). It will be interesting to go on the same site when the US reaches today to see if the fares go up. A definite lesson learnt though, get the flights booked, no messing.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
Woohoo it worked! I got the 'sale' price (Booking confirmation email etc received). It will be interesting to go on the same site when the US reaches today to see if the fares go up. A definite lesson learnt though, get the flights booked, no messing.
You were lucky.Well done.Most of us have made that mistake.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Hey all, just a rant, I don't think anything I can do. Anyway, my wife is pregnant and wants to go back home with our 2 year old as it will be the last opportunity to see her parents for a long time.

We scoped out flights, found Emirates Adelaide to Manchester $3582 for them both. Seems to be similar for the next 6 months every day. We didn't book it, put it off until I got paid just to make sure we had enough cash. So from last night we found the flight online. Went to the travel agent this morning just to see if they could beat it. Price came up at roughly $4500. We told them much cheaper online, she had a look and no it isn't anymore. Pretty much every airline price has jumped this much. How / why does this happen? Does anyone know?
i have to go back in augh for a wedding and was going to book brisbane to manchester with a stop over in singapore either side. 2 days ago it was $5500 it is now $6500 i am absolutely gutted. This is just another example of rip off Australia. If you look at the price in pounds you pay doing it in the other direction from the uk. Then do the currency conversion you will be very very surprised at how much more we pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

raven you are totally right, the flight we have luckily just booked if it was reversed as in a return flight to adelaide from manchester yesterday was £1400 (about $2200), where the same flight but from adelaide to manchester was $3600. It is a complete rip off. I don't know how they can justify it!

Today they have both gone up, but still the UK return to Oz is £2200 ($3300) and the Oz return to UK is $4500.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
i have to go back in augh for a wedding and was going to book brisbane to manchester with a stop over in singapore either side. 2 days ago it was $5500 it is now $6500 i am absolutely gutted. This is just another example of rip off Australia. If you look at the price in pounds you pay doing it in the other direction from the uk. Then do the currency conversion you will be very very surprised at how much more we pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Book a budget flight to Singapore (Scoot, Jetstar, Tiger) - especially as you are stopping over. Then book a flight from Singapore to the UK (zuji is a good website).

Seriously, it is easy to do with very little hassle.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Book a budget flight to Singapore (Scoot, Jetstar, Tiger) - especially as you are stopping over. Then book a flight from Singapore to the UK (zuji is a good website).

Seriously, it is easy to do with very little hassle.
thank you amazulu i will have a go right now
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

raven you are totally right, the flight we have luckily just booked if it was reversed as in a return flight to adelaide from manchester yesterday was £1400 (about $2200), where the same flight but from adelaide to manchester was $3600. It is a complete rip off. I don't know how they can justify it!

Today they have both gone up, but still the UK return to Oz is £2200 ($3300) and the Oz return to UK is $4500.
i know mate totally ripped off. And no one in govt does anything about it
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
i know mate totally ripped off. And no one in govt does anything about it
I'm not sure what you want the govt to do? It's pretty much a classic case of supply and demand. The airlines are running a business - they will charge the fare particular markets can afford to bear - it's what most business do when they set their prices. If the fares were too high, the planes would be empty and they'd drop their prices accordingly. As it stands flights are mostly pretty full.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not sure what you want the govt to do? It's pretty much a classic case of supply and demand. The airlines are running a business - they will charge the fare particular markets can afford to bear - it's what most business do when they set their prices. If the fares were too high, the planes would be empty and they'd drop their prices accordingly. As it stands flights are mostly pretty full.
You bring them in and haul them over the coals, telling them what you expect them to do.

If the won't you send in the auditors (they are always guilty of something)

If they still won't, you implement rules, with fines. If you are the US, you hijack them off plane and throw them in jail.

Generally before this point, they give in.

See the EU for this policy being applied. If they can tell mobile phone companies how much they can charge, or MS what software they are allowed to include, then the Oz government can tell airlines that fares have to be equal independent of which airport comes first.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Same experience here.

A few days ago BNE>MAN & LCA>DXB>BNE in May cost $4100 for 2 adults

Today price has increased to $5533.

Though the emirates website does not provide sufficient detail to determine whether the increases apply to a certain route or across the board, to pass a 39% increase off as supply and demand is absurd.

The cynic I have become leads me to believe it's more to do with the Qantas tie-up than any supposed supply & demand factors. i.e rip off Australia.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by tictac
to pass a 39% increase off as supply and demand is absurd.
The increase is because the sale ended yesterday. Nothing to do with supply & demand. Surely it's not difficult to understand that when a sale ends the price goes up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.