British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flights-back-uk-price-jump-30%25-one-day-789048/)

LeeWillo Feb 28th 2013 11:58 pm

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Hey all, just a rant, I don't think anything I can do. Anyway, my wife is pregnant and wants to go back home with our 2 year old as it will be the last opportunity to see her parents for a long time.

We scoped out flights, found Emirates Adelaide to Manchester $3582 for them both. Seems to be similar for the next 6 months every day. We didn't book it, put it off until I got paid just to make sure we had enough cash. So from last night we found the flight online. Went to the travel agent this morning just to see if they could beat it. Price came up at roughly $4500. We told them much cheaper online, she had a look and no it isn't anymore. Pretty much every airline price has jumped this much. How / why does this happen? Does anyone know?

Pollyana Mar 1st 2013 12:07 am

Re: Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Originally Posted by LeeWillo (Post 10576338)
Hey all, just a rant, I don't think anything I can do. Anyway, my wife is pregnant and wants to go back home with our 2 year old as it will be the last opportunity to see her parents for a long time.

We scoped out flights, found Emirates Adelaide to Manchester $3582 for them both. Seems to be similar for the next 6 months every day. We didn't book it, put it off until I got paid just to make sure we had enough cash. So from last night we found the flight online. Went to the travel agent this morning just to see if they could beat it. Price came up at roughly $4500. We told them much cheaper online, she had a look and no it isn't anymore. Pretty much every airline price has jumped this much. How / why does this happen? Does anyone know?

For one thing, the nearer you get to the day of the flight the more you risk there not being any cheap seats available. Certainly not every airline price has gone up that much overnight!

every flight has a certain number of seats at price A, price B etcand if the seats available at a certain price sell out then you are looking at paying the next price bracket.
Also online prices may not be available in travel agents - the airlines often cut out the middle man by selling direct to you.

bcworld Mar 1st 2013 12:07 am

Sale fare sale period ended, incorrect fare was loaded and the error was fixed, cheap seats sold out...?

Pollyana Mar 1st 2013 12:09 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10576353)
Sale fare sale period ended, incorrect fare was loaded and the error was fixed, cheap seats sold out...?

all sound plausible to me .......

bcworld Mar 1st 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10576356)
all sound plausible to me .......

Quick google shows there was a sale which ended 28 Feb.

LeeWillo Mar 1st 2013 12:12 am

It can't be a case of seats sold out, all of them for the next 6 months?? I thought it must be some tax that has been implemented or raised, but the airlines tell you the tax and it is only a rise proportionate to the fare.
If you haven't been looking you won't know, but on emirates, a calender type grid came up, with the cost of flights every day. Every flight was the same from 10 days or say from now for the next few months, I think I kept clicking next until about September, and the fares didn't change.
I expect someone will come on and advise of a fuel price hike or aviation tax increase or something.
Although saying that, we were on the phone to emirates last night and they didn't mention it. Surely they would have said if they knew about it.
Does anyone know if they put the prices up at the weekend for example, when they expect people will have time to sit and look or go to a travel agent? I know the fuel price for a car fluctuates on different days of the week here in Oz. This is a total hopeful long shot suggestion! I am hopeful, but very doubtful that they will go back down on Monday!!

bcworld Mar 1st 2013 12:14 am

Originally Posted by LeeWillo (Post 10576363)
It can't be a case of seats sold out, all of them for the next 6 months?? I thought it must be some tax that has been implemented or raised, but the airlines tell you the tax and it is only a rise proportionate to the fare.
If you haven't been looking you won't know, but on emirates, a calender type grid came up, with the cost of flights every day. Every flight was the same from 10 days or say from now for the next few months, I think I kept clicking next until about September, and the fares didn't change.
I expect someone will come on and advise of a fuel price hike or aviation tax increase or something.
Although saying that, we were on the phone to emirates last night and they didn't mention it. Surely they would have said if they knew about it.
Does anyone know if they put the prices up at the weekend for example, when they expect people will have time to sit and look or go to a travel agent? I know the fuel price for a car fluctuates on different days of the week here in Oz. This is a total hopeful long shot suggestion! I am hopeful, but very doubtful that they will go back down on Monday!!

As above - sale ended yesterday.

LeeWillo Mar 1st 2013 12:16 am

Surely they would advertise it as a sale to entice custom?

Pollyana Mar 1st 2013 12:17 am

BCWorld is the acknowledged airline guru around here - my knowledge is way below his even after training courses and years on the fringe of the airline workld. but I do know not every seat over the next 6 months would be the same price.. They may have marked perhaps 30 seats per flight at a sale price for a limited period. Sale ends (as bcworld says_ on feb 28th, so prices reveert to the nice highest bracket.

They don't put prices up just for the weekend, nor has there been a sudden fuel hike etc overnight. Every airline sets its prices and has its sales - unfortunately you didn't realise that price was a sale and so didn't book it in time.

bcworld Mar 1st 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by LeeWillo (Post 10576371)
Surely they would advertise it as a sale to entice custom?

The fare was VERY cheap for the time of year - Qantas was selling it too clearly identified as a sale fare - they have probably sold what they wanted to sell otherwise they might've extended it. Have you checked the Qantas site to see if the same flights are available at a different price?

Amazulu Mar 1st 2013 12:23 am

Just keep shopping around

Pollyana Mar 1st 2013 12:29 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10576374)
The fare was VERY cheap for the time of year - Qantas was selling it too clearly identified as a sale fare - they have probably sold what they wanted to sell otherwise they might've extended it. Have you checked the Qantas site to see if the same flights are available at a different price?

I actually just looked at the Qantas site and the cheapies that they had last week are gone, cheapest now is the red instead of the Sale tickets - only looked at a couple of dates but they seem around the same price as "Emirats".

bcworld Mar 1st 2013 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10576387)
I actually just looked at the Qantas site and the cheapies that they had last week are gone, cheapest now is the red instead of the Sale tickets - only looked at a couple of dates but they seem around the same price as "Emirats".

Yeah, thought that would be the case. I think this was probably a sale to kind of launch the new EK/QF thingo.

Amazulu Mar 1st 2013 12:38 am

Flights on Cathay out of HK have been really good value recently. Get yourself there on a budget airline, spend a kickass couple of days in one of the best cities in the world, get a Cathay flight to London.

GarryP Mar 1st 2013 12:58 am

It's always worth knowing what is a good price and booking it when you find it - things have a habit of changing.

What is probably worth doing is seeing if other airlines have implemented (or will soon) some cheaper fares (eg KLM?) in this new month. To me $3850 for an adult and toddler isn't a particularly good fare anyway.