Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to the UK - a few questions!

Flights back to the UK - a few questions!

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights back to the UK - a few questions!

Just got a nice wee gratuity payment from the UK and despite being taxed and NI'd on it it'll quite easily cover a trip back to the UK with some spending money thrown in too, so being my first trip back I have a few questions...

1) Can I pay for the flight using my UK account?! (That's where the money went, this account is linked to my Aussie address.)

2) If I was to book the flight soon and then had to change the dates closer to the time, is there a huge expense in doing this?

3) Oh and has anyone used that Skyscanner app to book flights?

...that's all the questions I can think of for now, but they are quite important ones so make a good start! lol

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Aug 24th 2011 at 7:59 am.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to the UK - a few questions!

You can use your uk account but will be charged in AU$ as thats the currency of departure.

Depends on ticket bought and airline. Should be in the smallprint of their website somewhere. Often $150 - 300. Plus of course any increase in ticket price which sods law says there always is.

nope
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:20 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I've 17,431 Qantas Frequent Flyer points, do they count for anything? lol
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:41 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oh and I've 17,431 Qantas Frequent Flyer points, do they count for anything? lol
128,000 for a return ticket to UK
60,000 for a return to HK or Singapore (useful to then pay remainder in S$ or HK$ and not pay extortionate AU$ fares)

So 17,000 is not really up to much...
Keep saving!!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by DadAgain
128,000 for a return ticket to UK
60,000 for a return to HK or Singapore (useful to then pay remainder in S$ or HK$ and not pay extortionate AU$ fares)

So 17,000 is not really up to much...
Keep saving!!!
LOL K
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1) Can I pay for the flight using my UK account?! (That's where the money went, this account is linked to my Aussie address.)
yes but with the current exchange rate you might be better paying with an Aussie card
2) If I was to book the flight soon and then had to change the dates closer to the time, is there a huge expense in doing this?
Depends on the terms and conditions for each flight - some aren't changeable at all so check the conditions of the fare before you buy
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

have you looked at bcworld's thread about usairways offer buying their miles and getting business or even 1st for the price of economy - or not much more. Quite a lot of us have done it now and it's well worth it. Current deal ends 15 sept and you need to register 12 days before buying miles - so take a look NOW
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

you can also use www.travelocity.co.uk website to book flights on. they charge you in pounds, and we use our uk funds to pay for flights when i book with them.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:05 am
Just Joined

pandemonium is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to book a couple of weeks ago as Sydney to London return with Qantas with a UK credit/debit card.

I tried twice and the card got declined even though was ample funds in there

It turned out that Qantas do not ask for your 3 digit number on the back of your card when making payment online or by phone as it not a complusory requirement in Australia. Some Australia websites do ask for it (Vodafone, VirgibBlue etc....)

The problem arises when it hits the funds clearing with your UK bank as it is a compulsory requirement in the UK to supply the 3 digit security code when making a purchase.

I endeed up having to transfers funds from UK to Oz and do it that way (ouch)

Hope this helps
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

A bag of monkey nuts and a Daily Express.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:03 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Just looked through directflights.com.au and it looks like it flies

Bris - Melb then direct from Melb to London, would that be right, flying direct from Melb to London with no stopover?!?!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked through directflights.com.au and it looks like it flies

Bris - Melb then direct from Melb to London, would that be right, flying direct from Melb to London with no stopover?!?!
No definitely not. You'll be stopping somewhere even if you have the same flight number from Melbourne to London.

Cheers

LG
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:27 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
No definitely not. You'll be stopping somewhere even if you have the same flight number from Melbourne to London.

Cheers

LG
Thought it was too good to be true lol
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

direct from Melb to London, would that be right
Technically yes, but only if it's on Qantas. Direct flight is any flight between 2 points, even with stopovers, as long as it keeps the same flight number.

flying direct from Melb to London with no stopover?!?!
Nope.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:38 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Booking direct with Qantas seems to be the cheapest and best option so far...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.