Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to England so expensive..

Flights back to England so expensive..

Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:53 am
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road
Default Flights back to England so expensive..

Hi,
I'm looking to go back to england for a few weeks next april and cant believe how expensive the flights are when flying oz-uk return compared to uk-oz return. On expedia if i fly brisbane to london return it costs me 1500 pounds where if i put in the same dates but fly london to brisbane return then its only 800 pounds.
Does anyone know whether you can book flights through a uk company and then alter the dates so the return date is before the departure or alternatively will other uk companies accept bookings flying out of and returning to australia?

thanks
dan
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to England so expensive..

Originally Posted by drb
Hi,
I'm looking to go back to england for a few weeks next april and cant believe how expensive the flights are when flying oz-uk return compared to uk-oz return. On expedia if i fly brisbane to london return it costs me 1500 pounds where if i put in the same dates but fly london to brisbane return then its only 800 pounds.
Does anyone know whether you can book flights through a uk company and then alter the dates so the return date is before the departure or alternatively will other uk companies accept bookings flying out of and returning to australia?

thanks
dan

In short if your leaving from OZ the australian :curse: version of the fare will apply no matter who you book it through.

You could book a one way to UK then fly back at UK prices but of course one way fares are usually about 75% of the return so that often does not work.

Others suggest you fly to asia then book to UK, to do that you are going to need a very cheap aus to asia fare, dont bother looking at the main airlines a trip to singapore or HOng kong is well over $1000 with fees and charges and levies. Tiger air, from darwn or perth but then you have to get to darwin or perth...

Cheapest fare at moment to UK is with Air china just a fraction under the $2000 which $1500 cheaper than some we were quoted
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
Hi,

thanks
dan
What dates in April were you looking at? As Easter falls in April next year, any time around then is going to be mega expensive. I often find booking direct with the airlines are a lot cheaper than the online travel agents. Also it depends on the day of the week. Weekends are usually a lot more expensive that say mid week. If your dates are flexible, try a few different airlines with various dates. We did just that with Emirates last year, and by changing our dates by about a week, we saved about $400 each.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:32 am
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by drb
Hi,

thanks
dan
Snap! We are going back in Sep and have paid 50% more doing Oz-UK-Oz than doing it the other way around! I used to work for a corporate travel co in the UK, so I contacted them to try and sort something out, but prices are all based on origin (ie now Oz) so they couldnt get anything for me. They couldnt even get anything much cheaper with our Oz based company. Basically, if you live down under your stuffed! (I even phoned Singapore Airlines direct to complain, but only ended up speaking to a travel consultant who couldnt work out what I was saying!) I've tried loads of scenarios and have basically ended up getting nowhere - so good luck if you do, and I'm sure there's loads of people on here who would also be interested!!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:10 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by drb
Hi,

thanks
dan

I think you will find that Easter is next April, therefore all seats will be filled. Airlines don't need to discount fares when they can fill the seats without doing so.

As other poster has advised try mid week or a week ealier or later.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:16 pm
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sassie
What dates in April were you looking at? As Easter falls in April next year, any time around then is going to be mega expensive. I often find booking direct with the airlines are a lot cheaper than the online travel agents. Also it depends on the day of the week. Weekends are usually a lot more expensive that say mid week. If your dates are flexible, try a few different airlines with various dates. We did just that with Emirates last year, and by changing our dates by about a week, we saved about $400 each.
we're quite easy with the dates, would like to be back by the end of april and plan on staying for up to 3 weeks before returning to oz. not sure what date easter falls on next year but suppose its worth checking out the dates before booking anything.
Its just annoying that there is no rhyme or reason as to why its so much more expensive booking a return from oz compared to booking from the uk.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
we're quite easy with the dates, would like to be back by the end of april and plan on staying for up to 3 weeks before returning to oz. not sure what date easter falls on next year but suppose its worth checking out the dates before booking anything.
Its just annoying that there is no rhyme or reason as to why its so much more expensive booking a return from oz compared to booking from the uk.
Here's an option.....of course you have to book this as 2 separate tickets:

1. Buy a return Gold Coast - Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia X (book on airasia.com)

Depart GC on 5th April, Return from KL on 27th April

Fare, taxes, charges, baggage, meals A$732

2. Buy a return from KL - Heathrow on Gulf Air (book on gulfair.com)

Deaprt KL on 6th April, Return from London on 25th April

Fare, taxes, charges A$1093

TOTAL = A$1825

The outbound option leaves a 6 hour connection in KL....this is fairly safe but make sure travel insurance covers you incase you miss the next flight.

The flight on the way back don't connect so you'll need to spend a night in KL, but KL hotels are cheap and very good.

I've been looking at this routing myself.....its pricing up at a little over A$2000 at Xmas, compared to about $3500 on one ticket out of Brisbane.

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 12th 2008 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:53 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by drb
UK school Easter holidays run from the 2nd April until the 19th April. Good Friday is the 2nd April. There may be a day or so regional difference but these are that academic dates given.

Asia and Middle East hubs are very busy at Easter time due to many people returning home to join their families for this important religious time. Every flight is overbooked so there is no need to give reduced fares.

I understand what you are saying regarding the fares but it is always the case.

A fare from Dubai to London can be bought a lot cheaper in Kuwait than in Dubai, and that would also include the Kuwait leg. Fares are charged at what the local market can stand to pay. In other words in OZ you are a captive market unless you take a boat, so airlines can charge what they want because you have no option but to pay it. No it isn't fare but that's the way it is.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Try these guys http://www.kayak.co.uk/

I booked a last minute flight from Sydney to Auckland recently, if I booked it with an ozzie travel agent/website it was $300 more expensive. Using this site which eventually found a deal with eBookers saved me $300 for my holiday

Also its worth signing up to travelzoo's weekly top twenty deals email (don't worry these won't spam you to death - just one email a week) and they have some amazing offers for both the uk and oz.

Here is the link to the oz version http://au.travelzoo.com/
and its a great way to keep a eye on flight prices and specials without having to go and searching for them all the time.

I have picked up some great bargains using travelzoo and the uk edition is excellent and a great way for family to keep an eye out on prices for trips to oz www.travelzoo.co.uk

Hope this helps

AberJazz

PS. I don't work for these guys, but they have nearly always come up top trumps on deals for me
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:36 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget and try to negotiate a deal. Tell them it's too expensive and tell them how much you have to spend. Worked for us a few times (out of necessity). Obviously dont expect too cheap but you can save a few hundred pounds. They do try to charge you more than you are first quoted and it's amazing how many times a web site crashes and a new higher price comes up.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Give travel hot spot a ring - they had the best deals

we saved $700 each on adult tickets !!

Most places were going for $2,500 per adult - per-lon-per
and we got them for $1,800 per adult !!

we flew emirates and they give out specials to certain agents
and when they do they are good.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
Think about it. You are trying to book a flight from a UK based travel agent to fly ex BNE to LHR and back again.

Do you really think they will offer any cheaper and discounted fares ? Basically you are paying a full fare type - code F J or Y. The airlines want to fill the routes regionally and discount those that they want to fill.

You live in Australia/Asia Pacific - book with a regional agent who negotiates and offers discounted fare codes.

www.zuji.com.au
www.expedia.com.au
etc

Check the actual airlines from the regional sites and they will be offering special fares usually to LHR which now beat a lot of travel agents. And of course check the flight centre once you have an online price since they will nearly always beat it for you.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
Think about it. You are trying to book a flight from a UK based travel agent to fly ex BNE to LHR and back again.

Do you really think they will offer any cheaper and discounted fares ? Basically you are paying a full fare type - code F J or Y. The airlines want to fill the routes regionally and discount those that they want to fill.

You live in Australia/Asia Pacific - book with a regional agent who negotiates and offers discounted fare codes.

www.zuji.com.au
www.expedia.com.au
etc

Check the actual airlines from the regional sites and they will be offering special fares usually to LHR which now beat a lot of travel agents. And of course check the flight centre once you have an online price since they will nearly always beat it for you.
Well said- even within the UK a domestic flight is a fiver more through expedia than if you go direct to BA's website. International flights originating in the UK at least 50-100GBP more per person. A UK based company offering Au-UK-Au flights is at the bottom of the list when it comes to discounts.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:13 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by AberJazz
Hello

Try these guys http://www.kayak.co.uk/

I booked a last minute flight from Sydney to Auckland recently, if I booked it with an ozzie travel agent/website it was $300 more expensive. Using this site which eventually found a deal with eBookers saved me $300 for my holiday

Also its worth signing up to travelzoo's weekly top twenty deals email (don't worry these won't spam you to death - just one email a week) and they have some amazing offers for both the uk and oz.

Here is the link to the oz version http://au.travelzoo.com/
and its a great way to keep a eye on flight prices and specials without having to go and searching for them all the time.

I have picked up some great bargains using travelzoo and the uk edition is excellent and a great way for family to keep an eye out on prices for trips to oz www.travelzoo.co.uk

Hope this helps

AberJazz

PS. I don't work for these guys, but they have nearly always come up top trumps on deals for me
What a great site Travelzoo is. It also gives you an indication of the cheapest days to fly.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:10 am
Just Joined

michelle doran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
with you all on this one! we are looking for next may.
The malaysia detour may be a good one.
I would definately play around with dates when it comes to air asia X - you can get ridiculous flights if you keep on the ball..they have regular sales, and we got return flights GC - KL for 3...$1200 incl everything (oct).
I suppose its down to the extra hassle....if you don't want any, then you may need to bite the bullet as much as it hurts1
Keep trying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.