Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to England so expensive..

Flights back to England so expensive..

Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to England so expensive..

LOL just one of the joys of being Australian! One of the things that you have to give up in order to be part of the scenery here unless you are prepared to go to huge lengths to scrounge the last dollar off a fare.

Hope you can find something which doesnt melt the credit card - and isnt Garuda!!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:33 am
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dpande
Well said- even within the UK a domestic flight is a fiver more through expedia than if you go direct to BA's website. International flights originating in the UK at least 50-100GBP more per person. A UK based company offering Au-UK-Au flights is at the bottom of the list when it comes to discounts.
I wasnt saying thats what i was going to do, i was just wondering if going down that route was a possible option as booking through any australia flight websites seemed to be so much more expensive.
Regarding expedia etc, if they were always more expensive than going direct to the flight companies websites then my would anyone book through them, in my experience these companies seem to offer better deals than going directly to the flight companies - not sure how they manage to get better offers but they do

thanks to the other replies, i will have a good search around and hopefully save myself some $$$$ in the process!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:12 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
I wasnt saying thats what i was going to do, i was just wondering if going down that route was a possible option as booking through any australia flight websites seemed to be so much more expensive.
Regarding expedia etc, if they were always more expensive than going direct to the flight companies websites then my would anyone book through them, in my experience these companies seem to offer better deals than going directly to the flight companies - not sure how they manage to get better offers but they do

thanks to the other replies, i will have a good search around and hopefully save myself some $$$$ in the process!!
Its sort of hit and miss with airlines. What happens is that x amount of seats are up for sale at x price, then so many at a more expensive and so on. So the fare is pretty much down to timing and special offers.

For example I recently had to book a flight to LA with Air NZ. Air NZ directly by telephone wanted $2000 more than the fare which you could book directly on their own website (it was a business fare). The nice lady on the phone helped me through it just to make sure and said it was laughable really but all airlines do it.

She advised that she didn't have the fare available which was net only despite the fact that I was calling air NZ direct. Expedia wanted $1000 more than the online price.

However, only 15 seats on that plane were available at that fare basis.

So sometimes booking direct is cheaper than online travel agents and agents personally. Simply depends on pot luck sadly.

Good luck with your hunting around! The only advice I would give is that never just search online. Give people like flight centre a call and give them a go once you have an online price.

Also Brunai are coming in less than $2k economy to LHR at the moment from BNE. They have a sale, but of course who knows for how long.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're here, they want to stop you getting out. Hence the insular "best place in the world" mentality. No one can afford to go anywhere else.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Here's an option.....of course you have to book this as 2 separate tickets:

1. Buy a return Gold Coast - Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia X (book on airasia.com)

Depart GC on 5th April, Return from KL on 27th April

Fare, taxes, charges, baggage, meals A$732

2. Buy a return from KL - Heathrow on Gulf Air (book on gulfair.com)

Deaprt KL on 6th April, Return from London on 25th April

Fare, taxes, charges A$1093

TOTAL = A$1825

The outbound option leaves a 6 hour connection in KL....this is fairly safe but make sure travel insurance covers you incase you miss the next flight.

The flight on the way back don't connect so you'll need to spend a night in KL, but KL hotels are cheap and very good.

I've been looking at this routing myself.....its pricing up at a little over A$2000 at Xmas, compared to about $3500 on one ticket out of Brisbane.
The transit hotel at KL is great too quite easily spend a day and or night there without the need of going through immigration and going into KL itself.
C x
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drb
Hi,
I'm looking to go back to england for a few weeks next april and cant believe how expensive the flights are when flying oz-uk return compared to uk-oz return. On expedia if i fly brisbane to london return it costs me 1500 pounds where if i put in the same dates but fly london to brisbane return then its only 800 pounds.
Does anyone know whether you can book flights through a uk company and then alter the dates so the return date is before the departure or alternatively will other uk companies accept bookings flying out of and returning to australia?

thanks
dan
simple....stay here
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:56 pm
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by biggy
simple....stay here
you know how it is, must pop back to see mine and girlfriends families for a few weeks, plus our mates are getting married at that time. Also be good to remind myself how shite england is!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Once you're here, they want to stop you getting out. Hence the insular "best place in the world" mentality. No one can afford to go anywhere else.

See one of the weekend papers had the usual staggering prices for a flipping holiday and have now started credit plans where you can pay off a holiday over 4 years
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I bought my return ticket from Melbourne to London using Opodo.co.uk in the UK - I still have my UK bank account. It was an e ticket so they didn't have to send me anything.

I tried using the British Airways website but they were annoying as they kept autodetecting my country of residence as Australia, but Opodo were OK.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:12 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
See one of the weekend papers had the usual staggering prices for a flipping holiday and have now started credit plans where you can pay off a holiday over 4 years
LOL - That is truly frightening....go on holiday and only pay 25% interest. I can see it now. Ferals from Inala are heading to Europe as we speak. The cost of the flight was the only thing keeping them from escaping.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
LOL - That is truly frightening....go on holiday and only pay 25% interest. I can see it now. Ferals from Inala are heading to Europe as we speak. The cost of the flight was the only thing keeping them from escaping.
From USA to Europe are not that much cheaper if you use expedia and the like. They are $1500USD or more. However, if you network, you'll find a lonely housewife who happens to be a reseller of tickets. She gets a commission. I hear of $1000 or less tickets to Europe in the summer. As in now. I'm sure they do exist in Australia.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:09 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drb
you know how it is, must pop back to see mine and girlfriends families for a few weeks, plus our mates are getting married at that time. Also be good to remind myself how shite england is!!
I still wouldnt pay a fortune for flights Im afraid.................I can think of better stuff spend money on