Flights to Aus

Old Jun 18th 2002, 4:39 pm
Wannabe Ausie

MikenWendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights to Aus

Myself, wife and 3 kids are planning on a fact finding visit to Aus in July. As it is such a long way I thought we might treat ourselves to business class. With Qantas 4 adult and 1 child (child = under 12) it was £30,000. I had assumed that business class would be around the £1500 mark and so the total would be about £7500. Anyone know of any good deals that are around.

TIA

Mike
Old Jun 18th 2002, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Flights to Aus

Hi there

Try these sites: http://www.ebookers.com/ or http://www.austravelres.com/cgi-bin/austravel/fares

There are some good deals to be had on these two sites. We thought about travelling business class, but we were horrified at the cost with BA/Qantas....you can fly for less than half the cost with Singapore airlines or Malaysian airlines (both of which usually come recommended by this NG )

An alternative is to travel in BA's 4th class World Traveller Plus which is a class between business and economy, we looked into this yesterday and it only costs £140 pp more than economy, which is a possibility for us.

Hope I've been of some help

love sophia x
Old Jun 18th 2002, 7:20 pm
Dean Chapman

Mike, we were upgraded free of charge to Business on our return from Brisbane
last week and as we have now been totally spoilt, we are now seriously splashing
out on business class when we migrate in the next couple of years. Take a look at
www.austravel.com and www.travelbag.co.uk and search for business fares. They
seem to start at about £1700 return for adults and £1200 for children. Dean,
Karen and Jayden.

"MikenWendy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Myself, wife and 3 kids are planning on a fact finding visit to Aus in July. As it
    > is such a long way I thought we might treat ourselves to business class. With
    > Qantas 4 adult and 1 child (child = under 12) it was £30,000. I had assumed that
    > business class would be around the £1500 mark and so the total would be about
    > £7500. Anyone know of any good deals that are around.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mike
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 18th 2002, 7:36 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think the BA upgrade to World Traveller Plus is £140.00 PP per sector.

Cinderella
Old Jun 18th 2002, 8:20 pm
Mister M

Is it really worth all that extra cash just for a couple inches more legroom and a
nicer in-flight kit? Stick to economy class. Keep the whole family awake for as long
as you can before departure (like 24hrs+!) and then once you're on the plane you'll
sleep all the way there. This always works nicely for me on long-haul flights. It
also keeps my mind off the fact that I can't smoke...

Good luck!

MM

MikenWendy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Myself, wife and 3 kids are planning on a fact finding visit to Aus in July. As it
    > is such a long way I thought we might treat ourselves to business class. With
    > Qantas 4 adult and 1 child (child = under 12) it was £30,000. I had assumed that
    > business class would be around the £1500 mark and so the total would be about
    > £7500. Anyone know of any good deals that are around.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mike
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 19th 2002, 12:20 am
Dean Chapman

It depends if you have got the extra cash to spare, I never would of splashed out on
business class in the past but after trying it on the free upgrade I don't think I
could ever fly economy again. My conspiracy theory of the month is that airlines are
deliberately introducing the masses to this class with free upgrades in the hope that
this will hook them into buying business class tickets in future thus slowly reducing
the number of economy seats and the possible DVT legal cases (just a theory). Dean.
PS: It's not just a couple of inches either, my legs were permanently bent in economy
but in business (on JAL) I couldn't even touch the bulkhead in front of me with
my legs stretched horizontally (and I'm 6'1") and with only 7 seats across on a
B747 (10 in economy) the extra room surrounds you, not just in legroom. The
in-flight kit is irrelevant, the space is the important bit.

"Mister M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Is it really worth all that extra cash just for a couple inches more
legroom
    > and a nicer in-flight kit? Stick to economy class. Keep the whole family awake for
    > as long as you can before departure (like 24hrs+!) and then once you're on the
    > plane you'll sleep all the way there. This always works
nicely
    > for me on long-haul flights. It also keeps my mind off the fact that I
can't
    > smoke...
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > MM
    >
    >
    > MikenWendy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Myself, wife and 3 kids are planning on a fact finding visit to Aus in July. As
    > > it is such a long way I thought we might treat ourselves to business class. With
    > > Qantas 4 adult and 1 child (child = under 12) it was £30,000. I had assumed that
    > > business class would be around the £1500 mark and so the total would be about
    > > £7500. Anyone know of any good deals that are around.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 19th 2002, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Lynn-ann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mister M
Is it really worth all that extra cash just for a couple inches more legroom and a
nicer in-flight kit? Stick to economy class. Keep the whole family awake for as long
as you can before departure (like 24hrs+!) and then once you're on the plane you'll
sleep all the way there. This always works nicely for me on long-haul flights. It
also keeps my mind off the fact that I can't smoke...

Good luck!

MM

'Yes' to some people it really is worth it, I have bad health so I am sacrificing a stopover in Singapore so that I can arrive in Oz in a better state than I would be flying economy.

MikenWendy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Myself, wife and 3 kids are planning on a fact finding visit to Aus in July. As it</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> is such a long way I thought we might treat ourselves to business class. With</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Qantas 4 adult and 1 child (child = under 12) it was £30,000. I had assumed that</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> business class would be around the £1500 mark and so the total would be about</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> £7500. Anyone know of any good deals that are around.</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> TIA</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Mike</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> --</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Posted via http://britishexpats.com</font></i>
Old Jun 19th 2002, 8:20 am
Pread

I have flown business class quite a few times, but only ever on business trips. I
would love us to go business class when we migrate (who wouldn't), but the prices
were treble those of economy. That's a fair wedge that could be better spent in Oz...

Cheers, Paul. "Dean Chapman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > It depends if you have got the extra cash to spare, I never would of splashed out
    > on business class in the past but after trying it on the free upgrade I don't think
    > I could ever fly economy again. My conspiracy theory of the month is that airlines
    > are deliberately introducing the masses to this class with free upgrades in the
    > hope that this will hook them into buying business class tickets in future thus
    > slowly reducing the number of economy seats and the possible DVT legal cases (just
    > a theory). Dean.
    > PS: It's not just a couple of inches either, my legs were permanently bent in
    > economy but in business (on JAL) I couldn't even touch the bulkhead in front of
    > me with my legs stretched horizontally (and I'm 6'1") and with
only
    > 7 seats across on a B747 (10 in economy) the extra room surrounds you, not just in
    > legroom. The in-flight kit is irrelevant, the space is the
important
    > bit.

Old Jun 19th 2002, 9:21 am
Thunder Ace

"Dean Chapman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > It depends if you have got the extra cash to spare, I never would of splashed out
    > on business class in the past but after trying it on the free upgrade I don't think
    > I could ever fly economy again. My conspiracy theory of the month is that airlines
    > are deliberately introducing the masses to this class with free upgrades in the
    > hope that this will hook them into buying business class tickets in future thus
    > slowly reducing the number of economy seats and the possible DVT legal cases (just
    > a theory).

My understanding is that the risk from DVT differs insignificantly between different
classes as it is not due to lack of room, but lack of movement over long periods. As
for introducing business class to the masses, I would imagine the percentage of
economy class travellers getting free upgrades is quite low and often it's only done
to free up seats for other travellers, not out of kindness on the part of the
airlines. Also, I think the profitability margins between classes is not great. I've
come across this theory that you can increase your chances of being "bumped up" by
dressing and behaving in a certain manner, and by timing your arrival at the
departure gate. Not an exact science I know, but some people swear by it.

> Dean.
    > PS: It's not just a couple of inches either, my legs were permanently bent in
    > economy but in business (on JAL) I couldn't even touch the bulkhead in front of
    > me with my legs stretched horizontally (and I'm 6'1") and with only 7 seats
    > across on a B747 (10 in economy) the extra room surrounds you, not just in
    > legroom. The in-flight kit is irrelevant, the space is the important bit.
    >
The bulkhead is not the best place for legroom in economy. I've always been able to
fully stretch my legs under the seat in front, but when I had a bulkhead seat,
legroom was restricted. True, you havn't got so much "personal space" in economy, but
I'd rather save my money for spending when I arrive. As long as they have free
alcohol, I'm happy! Helps me sleep you know.

Thunder Ace

Old Jun 19th 2002, 6:20 pm
Magnus

This information is probably not relevant for people flying anything other than
cattle class, like myself, but the following appeard in a newspaper not long ago
(about leg room offered by different airlines)...

86 cm Air New Zealand American Airlines Lufthansa Malaysia Airlines Thai Airways
US Airways

84 cm Air Canada Garuda Indonesia Qantas

81 cm Cathay Pacific Emirates SAS Singapore Airlines United Airlines

78 cm Aer Lingus Air France British Airways Continental Airlines KLM

76 cm Virgin Atlantic

74 cm Delta Airlines Mytravel (Premiair) Britannia Airlines Novair

cinderella <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think the BA upgrade to World Traveller Plus
    > is £140.00 PP per sector.
    >
    > Cinderella

Old Jun 19th 2002, 9:06 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Aus Travel has a booklet that details all the seat pitches in each class for all the main Airlines flying to Aust. It is useful.

Regards,

Cinderella
Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:06 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

We should do a FAQ for this airline stuff - it keeps coming up....

ebookers have a leg room chart - do any old search and a link to the chart will be returned at the top of you results.

Dont forget, fly east and you get 20kgs baggage. Fly west and you get 2x32kgs which is why we're going Air NZ via LA to Sydney. 128kgs compared to 40kgs for the two of us - that's a lorra lorra baggage....

Anon
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know about specific emigration flights to OZ.
Colin
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Colin,

just booked the migrant special with Qantas, £1800 for family of 4 with 3 days in Singapore en route to Adelaide. 160 kgs baggage for the whole family. Phone 0208600 4342.

No deposit needed just visa number for the baggage allowance, and they allow you plenty of time before you settle up.

I know Qantas has been slagged off by a few in this ng, but, IMHO, I have always found them first rate, as an experienced business traveller I have flown with most of the other airlines mentioned on this post (including Garuda, never again!!!).

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Pete
I take it that is economy and not buisness class?
we can hope cant we !!!!!
Joanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.