Flights

Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Hedvika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights

Hi all,

I would like to know your experiences with different airlines when you travel to OZ.
We will be travelling with 3 years old and almost 2 years and double buggy.
Our preferences are Singapore airlines, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific, BA and Qantas. How did you find those? What about changing baby on the plane, customer services stop over in Singapore? Did you used travel harness or always car seats??
Also what about charges for buggy? Singapore doesn't charge as I know, but others?? Bags allowance per person (kg)??
Please just post your recommendation, experiences ..

Thanks
Vicky
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:27 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights

For starters let me just state that most of my experience of travelling with kids has mainly revolved around the Europe-Singapore route as opposed to Europe-Australia, as I've always broken down our trips so that the Australia segment was separate (like a week after flying into Singapore, or cruising into Singapore before flying onwards).

As far as a buggy is concerned, every airline should allow it for free if a child is travelling. But you might also want to look at excess baggage in case that is an issue - some airlines will charge by the kg, which is a bad deal, whereas others have a decent flat-fee for an extra piece.

As an airport Singapore is brilliant on all accounts, and Singapore Airlines is probably the best airline too as long as you are... not flying with kids. Their bassinets are rather compact and when the seatbelt sign flickers on the flight attendants will rush to you to ensure that you remove the child from the bassinet. Other airlines take a more balanced approach, like Lufthansa. They also have bigger bassinets. Their biggest downside is Frankfurt airport, a true hell-hole...

I cannot speak for Malaysian or Cathay (the last time I flew with them... I was a kid), but BA is a good choice for travel with kids. They are also good if you have lots of extra luggage as they have the per-piece approach.

My favourite carrier in recent years though has been Finnair. Great airline and staff, smoother flights as they take a more northerly course, and Helsinki is a pleasant airport.

Looking at your situation I see that you will need a paid seat for the 3yo and will not be requiring one for the <2yo who can be on your lap and then in the bassinet for sleep. Hence, I would strongly advise booking a flight where you are sure of bassinet row seats as not securing them will make this a very strenuous experience.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for reply.

I have been looking into bassinets in past just briefly. My 2 kiddies are now 2 and 10 months,but don't like lastminute.com so I want to research before we fly. The problem is my 10 months old is almost same high as my 2 years old, and she is tall also. So I am worried that bassinet will not be able to cope with my son anyway.

We will need to buy 4 seats as to sit him on lap will not work. I am not sure, how is it with the pricing, just guessing around 25% from adult price cost the baby seat. Not sure how about infant, as he by age will be infant category, but not by kg and by having his own seat.

I thought first we may need to get car seats for them to travel, but again each company has different seat measurements, so I have to go by them and choose car seat which will actually fit into the seat.

And I did found some car seats which have been available just from US, but I may not be able to use them here in EU..they have some regulations...I do not understand that at all.

Later I just found I may be able to use this straps, it's extra harness which goes onto the plane seat together with the seat harness. They are some height and weight regulations also, but should go internationally. Haven't been researching that yet if the airlines will accept it...

I may say I may have some preferences which airlines I like, but we have to feel comfortable, not to be squeeze in seats.

Does anyone know if mothers can use the disabled toilets also if it has some changing units?? They may have some plans of aircraft online, but not sure if I can find some measurements there or video..Singapore airlines does have a bit info, but even when I asked them,they haven't been able to tell me anything..I know this is concrete question which they don't deal with every day...
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is not just the carrier you need to look at but what actual planes they use on each leg. Some have new planes with better seats and more leg room for instance. Oh and if you can go for a row in the middle then you have two sides to exit from and are not forced up by the person at the window needing a pee, useful if you have just settled a child. Most bassinets seem to be in middle rows anyway.

We just flew Qatar, new planes with plenty leg room but I didn't get on with the new style headrests. The food wasn't brill either! And Qatar airport for transit was the most expensive airport I have been in. Only cigarettes were cheap ( I don't buy), a round of coffees was silly money.......and rather meh!

All planes have baby change facilities in at least one of the toilets. On each plane there are always some larger toilets and some tiny ones! So ask the stewardess which one you should use.

In the end we choose on price and schedule l as there isn't so much difference anymore.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hedvika
Hi all,

I would like to know your experiences with different airlines when you travel to OZ.
We will be travelling with 3 years old and almost 2 years and double buggy.
Our preferences are Singapore airlines, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific, BA and Qantas. How did you find those? What about changing baby on the plane, customer services stop over in Singapore? Did you used travel harness or always car seats??
Also what about charges for buggy? Singapore doesn't charge as I know, but others?? Bags allowance per person (kg)??
Please just post your recommendation, experiences ..

Thanks
Vicky
Having done 3 Sydney London trips with a child under 2 in the past 2 years here is my tip.

Avoid airlines where the staff are trained to be like robots. That's Singapore, Emirates in my experience. Sometimes the little ones are a bit unpredictable so you need an airline where the staff think outside the box.

So that leads you to BA or Qantas. You can forget a bassinet for the 2 year old and potentially the 10 month old on Qantas. The bassinets are a set size with no wriggle room. On BA the bassinets are like a deck chair at the beach so their legs can hang over the side if they are a little too big. You will want as much bassinet time as possible. The 2 year old will be a challenge staying in a bassinet if they fit.

Entertainment is key. Get a pad or phone, load it with fresh material and truck on through it. Go to youtube, find a vid, the retype the url with www.ssyoutube.com/...... path. It will download an MP4.

One thing to watch out for. If the child doesn't have their own seat they may not give you food so stock up before departure.

Singapore is the best and easiest airport in the world. That means BA or a Qantas BA double act. Avoid Dubai, the connecting flight might require a train to another terminal which is not the end of the world but an added challenge.

Best of luck. Its a lot of fun .... not.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Having done 3 Sydney London trips with a child under 2 in the past 2 years here is my tip.

Avoid airlines where the staff are trained to be like robots. That's Singapore, Emirates in my experience. Sometimes the little ones are a bit unpredictable so you need an airline where the staff think outside the box.

So that leads you to BA or Qantas. You can forget a bassinet for the 2 year old and potentially the 10 month old on Qantas. The bassinets are a set size with no wriggle room. On BA the bassinets are like a deck chair at the beach so their legs can hang over the side if they are a little too big. You will want as much bassinet time as possible. The 2 year old will be a challenge staying in a bassinet if they fit.

Entertainment is key. Get a pad or phone, load it with fresh material and truck on through it. Go to youtube, find a vid, the retype the url with Free Online YouTube Downloader: Download YouTube Videos, Facebook and many others!...... path. It will download an MP4.

One thing to watch out for. If the child doesn't have their own seat they may not give you food so stock up before departure.

Singapore is the best and easiest airport in the world. That means BA or a Qantas BA double act. Avoid Dubai, the connecting flight might require a train to another terminal which is not the end of the world but an added challenge.

Best of luck. Its a lot of fun .... not.
Very good point, if I had to be stuck in and airport I would always choose Singapore with little ones or without.

Even on a few hours of transit it has things to do and cheap facilities without needing to pay for expensive lounge access.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Very good point, if I had to be stuck in and airport I would always choose Singapore with little ones or without.

Even on a few hours of transit it has things to do and cheap facilities without needing to pay for expensive lounge access.
Yes it does, unfortunately I do both.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you again for your posts.

We think to fly through Singapore or Honk Kong. Would be great if we can stay for couple of night and then continue journey, but that will cost a much more. I had look at those stopovers, they are between 2-12 hours.

Is it better to stay longer hours in the lounge area just to get some rest or straight carry on to the second flight??

Also did you find one way ticket more expensive than return one?? We do not need return tickets, but sometimes it may be cheaper??!
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:21 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

We will need to buy 4 seats as to sit him on lap will not work. I am not sure, how is it with the pricing, just guessing around 25% from adult price cost the baby seat.
If you can get a bassinet seat then you should be ok with 3 seats for your group. For take-off and landing you will always be using an additional seatbelt supplied by the flight attendant that basically loops into your own seatbelt.

As for pricing I believe a child seat is around 75% of an adult one - probably depends on the airline though.

They may have some plans of aircraft online, but not sure if I can find some measurements there or video.
Best place to check is seatguru.com where you can get the plans for virtually all major airlines/aircraft.

You might also want to look at expertflyer.com to see which seats are reserved/open on the exact flight you are interested in.

And if you have any specific questions you should also give this place a thorough look: Miles&Points - FlyerTalk Forums

It's for frequent flyers, but once you head into the appropriate sub-forum you can ask about anything, including everything to do with bassinets or travelling with kids.

I had look at those stopovers, they are between 2-12 hours.

Is it better to stay longer hours in the lounge area just to get some rest or straight carry on to the second flight??
Stopovers where you simply wait at the airport will not really qualify as rest. You certainly don't want to wait 12 hours before your next flight, and 2 hours is practically ideal I would say.

Also did you find one way ticket more expensive than return one?? We do not need return tickets, but sometimes it may be cheaper??!
Unless you're flying Scoot you'll find that one-way tickets are usually a giant rip-off. Likewise, non-stop connections tend to be more expensive than ones with a plane change. There will also be huge differences depending on the country you are flying out of, even if it requires an additional connection, so for instance flying BA from Germany or Italy to Singapore (via London) will sometimes be WAY cheaper than a similar ticket just from London to Singapore. Similarly, Emirates will sometimes sell flights from Singapore to somewhere in Europe (via Dubai) for less than just the shorter flight from Dubai to that destination.

Speaking of Scoot, have you thought of giving them a look? As in taking them to SIN and then booking the following flight separately? They're a very decent airline, and just to compare them with something more tangible I thought they were heaps better than Etihad for instance. I'd fly Scoot any day. Plus it's the most modern fleet in the sky - all their aircraft are 787 Dreamliners.