Flights!

Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

shaun_k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights!

We are just trawling the compare web sites for our flights to Melbourne. There are no real stand out offers from any site or any airline. We have heard from a number of sources that you can find cheaper one way flights or extra baggage if you are emigrating. Does anyone know if this is the case or know of any alternative.

Shaun and Lucy looking forward to being there!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:39 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice
Default Re: Flights!

There's a contact on the visa grant which says it may have cheaper flights but they are one way tickets - and we need returns as we are validating first - so I never used it. Maybe someone who did will be along soon and tell you.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Hi Shaun and Lucy
Singapore airlines allows for double (40kg per person) on one way flights to OZ when you have an unvalidated visa in your passport.
We are also heading to Melbourne, hopefully in May. When are you travelling?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If you go via the US you can get two items of luggage (46kg), or Emirates does 30kg via asia (IIRC).
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

We have a validated visa so found BA to be the best. Extra 23kg bag was only £32 each. Flight to Sydney was £480. Found flights via US to be very expensive.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

I am booked with Etihad to fly to Melbourne on the 27th March. Although Etihad's Cattle Class has a higher than average baggage allowance of 30kg, there is no additional allowance for migrants with visa's (I phoned and checked this morning). Also, bizzarly, the Cattle Class baggage allowance from Melb. to Heathrow is 20kg. So if I was flying back I would have to leave 10 kilo's of stuff in Melb.

HTH.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I got 50 kg each with Emirates one way to Brisbane using promotional code if you have not validated visa. I started a thread recently about this.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stilletto_rebel
I am booked with Etihad to fly to Melbourne on the 27th March. Although Etihad's Cattle Class has a higher than average baggage allowance of 30kg, there is no additional allowance for migrants with visa's (I phoned and checked this morning). Also, bizzarly, the Cattle Class baggage allowance from Melb. to Heathrow is 20kg. So if I was flying back I would have to leave 10 kilo's of stuff in Melb.

HTH.
Are you absolutely sure about that 30kg?

It would be very unusual for a full service airline to give you a different baggage allowance on different sectors in the same class when booked on one ticket.

The Etihad UK website lists the Coral Economy baggage allowance as 20kg.

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...formation.aspx

If they have offered you 30kg make sure that is listed on your eTicket or you have it in writing some other way.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bcworld
Are you absolutely sure about that 30kg?

It would be very unusual for a full service airline to give you a different baggage allowance on different sectors in the same class when booked on one ticket.

The Etihad UK website lists the Coral Economy baggage allowance as 20kg.

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...formation.aspx

If they have offered you 30kg make sure that is listed on your eTicket or you have it in writing some other way.

Yep, just phoned the Heathrow office again and spoke with Nabila. Checked baggage is 20kg PLUS 10kg due to the destination being Melbourne. Plus 7kg's hand baggage.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

auds is an unknown quantity at this point

I've flown Etihad from Dublin to Melbourne and other way a couple of times this year and had 30kgs on all sectors all times (plus the 7kg hand luggage which they do weigh - this is separate to a hand bag even a huge one !!)

auds

ps. have found Etihad brill better than Singapore IMO

Last edited by auds; Feb 9th 2010 at 7:52 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

oz2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auds
I've flown Etihad from Dublin to Melbourne and other way a couple of times this year and had 30kgs on all sectors all times (plus the 7kg hand luggage which they do weigh - this is separate to a hand bag even a huge one !!)

auds

ps. have found Etihad brill better than Singapore IMO
how do you get 30kg from Etihad,
I am getting eTicket, it says 20kg only !!
do i have to ring them and ask for 30kg or what?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

auds is an unknown quantity at this point

its automatic, you don't have to do anything extra. My most recent flight was in Jan 2010 and I definitely got 30kgs.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

shaun_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Hi Shaun and Lucy
Singapore airlines allows for double (40kg per person) on one way flights to OZ when you have an unvalidated visa in your passport.
We are also heading to Melbourne, hopefully in May. When are you travelling?
Hi thanks yeah that looks like the best deal and the flights are not too much more. We are going towards the end of may. where abouts you heading to?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

We are also flying out in the second half of May. We have no idea of areas yet. Are considering everything from Point Cook in the West to Ferntree Gully/Upwey in the East. How about you?