Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight training schools in Brisbane (recreational)

Flight training schools in Brisbane (recreational)

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:09 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flight training schools in Brisbane (recreational)

Does anyone know of any good flight training schools that let people get there private pilots licence at their own pace?

My husband has been wanting to do this for a while so we figured it's time to stop thinking about it and give it a go. He is working during the week so ideally one evening class during the week and an hour or two of flight time on the weekend would be good.

Has anyone on here done this? How did you find it, and how long did it take? I have a rough idea of what it costs already But I would love to hear othe thoughts on it.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight training schools in Brisbane (recreational)

Originally Posted by comet555
Does anyone know of any good flight training schools that let people get there private pilots licence at their own pace?

My husband has been wanting to do this for a while so we figured it's time to stop thinking about it and give it a go. He is working during the week so ideally one evening class during the week and an hour or two of flight time on the weekend would be good.

Has anyone on here done this? How did you find it, and how long did it take? I have a rough idea of what it costs already But I would love to hear othe thoughts on it.
I'd be interested in the cost, too. Years ago I did the occasional light aircraft flying but it got far too expensive in the UK.

Gliding's more fun and a lot less expensive, BTW<g>.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It is very expensive but my husband has done nothing but work for the last 5 years so I think he's earned the right to pursue it if he wants. For the full private licence it's approx $11-12,000. But around mid way you can take a test that will allow you to fly by yourself with a friend of two for very shorts trips of an hour or two. This is what we're going by for costs:

http://www.hempelsaviation.com.au/Pricelist.html

I'm just hoping someone on here has done something similar and has some advice or recommendations.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:58 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I did about 28 hours in the UK, but the weather was so bad that you only managed 1 weekend in 3, and it was very slow progress. I guess I did about 7 hours solo.

I expect its the same here. There are 6 exams+ medical. You need to pass the medical and law exam before going solo.

Flying itself is easy ( planes fly themselves ) , 90% is planning for emergencies, take off and landings. I think most small planes crash on landing as a landing is actually a planned stall.

I'd get something like microsoft flying sim, and flying yoke for a pc, and practise your landings and take-offs with it. Its a longer cheaper as you'll only get 5-6 in a 1 hour lesson if you keep doing touch and go practice landings.

You get a fair bit of engine failure on takeoff practice ( pick someone to land etc ), engine failure at height ( you get a few minutes to pick a spot and plan an approach ), stalling and recovery, some basic instrument flying.

The will start to add weather, navigation etc into your flying for the other exams.

Once past you need regular medicals, and a certain number of hours per year to keep your licence.

The other is you may struggle to get life insurance, as private flying is ruled out of many policies.

Not done it Oz, but the weather is much better.. going the boating route instead ( Some laws. nav, weather. less expense. )
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

Try some of the flying schools at Archerfield - Gil Layts had a good reputation, think they are still going, or the Royal Queensland Aero Club.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

I'll check them out. I haven't heard of Gil Layts yet so I'll have a look. My husband drove through the Archerfield airport and took pictures of all the signs that mentioned flight school

I'll check it out. He's wanted to do this forever he just needs a little push to get going