Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight Oz to UK...Emirates...Can u take bag AND laptop (in bag) in cabin?

Flight Oz to UK...Emirates...Can u take bag AND laptop (in bag) in cabin?

Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Flight Oz to UK...Emirates...Can u take bag AND laptop (in bag) in cabin?

Hi Guys

I know that you are only allowed one bag to take in the cabin, however can you take a 2nd bag with solely a laptop in it?

I am sure I have taken two bags on before in the cabin, I just want to check that it is still OK?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Oz to UK...Emirates...Can u take bag AND laptop (in bag) in cabin?

Handbag or laptop case and one other is usually fine.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Oz to UK...Emirates...Can u take bag AND laptop (in bag) in cabin?

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

I know that you are only allowed one bag to take in the cabin, however can you take a 2nd bag with solely a laptop in it?

I am sure I have taken two bags on before in the cabin, I just want to check that it is still OK?

Thanks in advance
Yes - I fly with QF/Emirats regularly, always with two bags.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob

The simplest way to be certain is to check the airline's website. The following page is the one you need:

Cabin baggage rules | Baggage | Essential Information | Emirates United Kingdom

As you will see, it depends on the class you are flying:
  • First Class and Business Class customers are permitted two pieces of carry-on baggage: one briefcase plus either one handbag or one garment bag.
  • Economy Class customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag...
Be careful also of the size and weight restrictions.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 1:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
The simplest way to be certain is to check the airline's website. The following page is the one you need:

Cabin baggage rules | Baggage | Essential Information | Emirates United Kingdom

As you will see, it depends on the class you are flying:
  • First Class and Business Class customers are permitted two pieces of carry-on baggage: one briefcase plus either one handbag or one garment bag.
  • Economy Class customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag...
Be careful also of the size and weight restrictions.
However Qantas, who codeshare, and operate most of the flights ex Australia towards Europe, allow two.
Boarding from here with a laptop and a handbag is fine.

Carry On Baggage Allowance | Qantas
Old Apr 30th 2016, 11:18 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
However Qantas, who codeshare, and operate most of the flights ex Australia towards Europe, allow two.
Boarding from here with a laptop and a handbag is fine.

Carry On Baggage Allowance | Qantas
Still need to be careful though. The laptop needs to be a a very thin bag to qualify, and you can't take any other of the allowable items (like a coat, or duty free) at the same time. It's also a bit questionable about the weight - you might find them saying the total weight of laptop+carry on has to be below 7kg.

I usually just try to avoid taking a laptop at all, maybe going as far as a tablet+keyboard cover, in the carry on.
Old May 1st 2016, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Thanks guys...yes I do need to be careful as i dont want to get caught out at the airport. I'll take the laptop in a thin bag. Good point about the weight.

Normally when I have travelled when they ask about carry on baggage I just give them one bag and hold on to the second.

I need the laptop in cabin baggage as to maximise the weight in my case for stuff for a month in the UK. I have to dig out all my 'cold' clothes and boots

Just one really small thing...would a pencil sharpener be confiscated?

Cheers everyone!