Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the flight nerves have started!!!

the flight nerves have started!!!

Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future
Default the flight nerves have started!!!

Hi guys, well we're off on Sunday to validate and the old flying nerves have kicked in already. Any words of comfort would be just dandy. Andy
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: the flight nerves have started!!!

I've just come back from doing four flights in four days with a mate who is s%^t scared of flying, he found drink helps
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:55 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Hi guys, well we're off on Sunday to validate and the old flying nerves have kicked in already. Any words of comfort would be just dandy. Andy
Just make sure you keep your arms flapping Have a great trip.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you didn't watch LOST last night
Don't worry it only happens for the movies - mostly
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Okey dokey, with 26 flights taken in the last 14 months, I can confirm that the following works for me. (And B4 anyone else accuses me, yes, I know that Im the daggiest person you'll ever come into contact with!!)

I take the following......

pack of cards - solitaire can be distracting, & can be played together with another person.

clementines/mandarins - just for the journey (leave unfinished ones on the plane)

bottle of water - Im in control of when I can have water, not the flight attendants!

book - my flight treat.

A magazine bought from departures. Another flight treat. Any magazine which I would love to buy on a regular basis, but am too tight to.

A pen & notebook. - I used to feel trapped on planes, but now I use the flights for "me-time". Its amazing all the things that I want to write down or plan, yet never seem to have a chance to do so. Well, the flight's your opportunity.

Using/doing these things calms me down, & leaves little time for stress!

Good luck with it.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, take some water on yourself as well - I usually have a couple of litre bottles. But buy it after you have checked in and gone through passport control that way it wont be counted if they decide to weigh your luggage at check in.

Words of comfort - IPOD, Good Book
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:32 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
I agree, take some water on yourself as well - I usually have a couple of litre bottles. But buy it after you have checked in and gone through passport control that way it wont be counted if they decide to weigh your luggage at check in.

Words of comfort - IPOD, Good Book
sit at the back they don't tend to reverse into things????
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your wise (and not so wise) words of wisdom. Andy
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm terrible with flying too but I have actually done 18 flights between LA and home in the last 18 months..
I have come to realise that planes do not drop out the sky and turbulence is just weather. I used to be almost sick with fear when we hit turbulence but apparantly the chances of a plane coming down due to turbulence are 10 billion to 1 so it doesn't bother me at all anymore, it also helps me if I think about all the other planes that are up in the sky at the same time, with so many why would it be mine that goes down? Once you're actually up there is virtually nothing that could go wrong.
There are some really good books out there that deal with the issue but buy before you get to the airport as they don't seem to stock them in the terminals, LOL.
If you're really scared go to your doctor and get some beta blockers, they worked wonders for my sister when she came out to see us.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I hope you're on a plane with your own screen. You can then click through all the films and play all the games whilst checking on the flight progress (speed, height etc). I'm not good in planes at all - but I find that control over the mini-TV distracts me from my fear. I also sit near the aisle so that I can drink lots of water and go to the loo lots. I also get extra snacks from the kitchen.

Have a good flight
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:50 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Homoeopathic argentum nitricum (arg. nit.) if there is real fear of flying - aot just *nerves*.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the flying you want to worry about it is the plummeting into a mountain from 7 miles up you should be scared of
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:49 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Just think of it as a bus in the sky and if you get turbulance, it's just a road bump you're going over

I hate flying too...and it's amazing when people tell you how safe it is compared to any other form of travel. I remind them my car is never 23,000 ft up in the air :scared:

Being scared of flying doesn't mean you're stupid. It's irrational behaviour but not stupid behaviour. So keeping this in mind might help?

Good luck...... handy Andy

Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:55 am
CJN
Forum Regular

CJN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Just think of it as a bus in the sky and if you get turbulance, it's just a road bump you're going over

I hate flying too...and it's amazing when people tell you how safe it is compared to any other form of travel. I remind them my car is never 23,000 ft up in the air :scared:

Being scared of flying doesn't mean you're stupid. It's irrational behaviour but not stupid behaviour. So keeping this in mind might help?

Good luck...... handy Andy
My fiance is a bad flyer.

A couple of years ago she went the get hypnotised before a short flight we were due to make. I could not believe that I was flying with the same person - it's the best £40 we ever spent.

Unfortunately it does wear off after a peiod of time & three months later she wasn't quite so good.

I didn't believe that it would work before she went but have now seen that it definitely does work.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:06 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by CJN
My fiance is a bad flyer.

A couple of years ago she went the get hypnotised before a short flight we were due to make. I could not believe that I was flying with the same person - it's the best £40 we ever spent.

Unfortunately it does wear off after a peiod of time & three months later she wasn't quite so good.

I didn't believe that it would work before she went but have now seen that it definitely does work.
Maybe that's the answer for some i.e hypnotism

Not for me though. I know it's an irrational fear.

My son [when he was much younger] once read the disaster instructions normally kept in the pocket behind the chair in front.

He said "dont worry mum, there's an inflatable slide, a floaty jacket and a whistle if anything happens"

BIG EFFIN DEAL......I thought

Gonna be a BIG help at 23,000 bleedin feet innit :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.