Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight nerves - any tips?

Flight nerves - any tips?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:16 pm
Here at last!!!

The Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant future
Default Flight nerves - any tips?

I'm a nervous flyer - any tips for me to get over my nerves?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight nerves - any tips?

Originally Posted by The Dove Family
Yep, buy this book

"The Flying Book" by David Blatner, it explains what all the clunks and bangs are and explains turbolence really well (the most scary thing to me before I read this book).
It certainly made me feel better, like most things it is fear of the unknown.

Might be worth a try for you?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:51 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

My doctor in the UK used to give me Temazepam. This together with a glass of wine and some rescue remedy usually sees me through. However I do have to top up on a long flight. Downside (if you see it like that) is that you sleep the whole flight (could be the drink on top of the drugs!!)
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
My doctor in the UK used to give me Temazepam. This together with a glass of wine and some rescue remedy usually sees me through. However I do have to top up on a long flight. Downside (if you see it like that) is that you sleep the whole flight (could be the drink on top of the drugs!!)

Would VERY strongly recommend against taking temazepam with alcohol.. not a safe thing to do and you wouldn't want to 'get into trouble' on a long haul flight...
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:08 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi My sister is an air stewardess (trolley dolly!!) and she said to let the staff know and they will look after you, I have to say I was TERRIFIED of flying and living near Heathrow at the time didn't help :scared:
I went on a trip to Prague with my sisters (4 of us in all) and she organized for me to sit in the cockpit as we landed at Heathrow ... I could hear everything and the captain was lovely explaining everything. It helped me no end I still feel a little anxious but no where near as much. British airways also used to do a fear of flying day usually at the Renaissance hotel at Heathrow It may be worth looking into, Learning relaxation techniques is also a good idea, I also try and drink a bit (it relaxes me ) but am always aware coz of the kids
Hope this helps a little
Jane xx
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Yep, buy this book

"The Flying Book" by David Blatner, it explains what all the clunks and bangs are and explains turbolence really well (the most scary thing to me before I read this book).
It certainly made me feel better, like most things it is fear of the unknown.

Might be worth a try for you?
I too would recommend the book, but if you're really nervous go and get some beta blockers from your doctor, they won't knock you out like the tamazepam will but they do get rid of that awful, nervous, butterfly feeling you get in your stomach..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:38 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

I used to love flying and now I HATE it..I get worse everytime I fly. I always have a window seat though..least I can see if anything goes wrong! Worst was flying Singapore-UK leg when we hit turbulence..even the air stewards strapped themselves down..that when I had to try and stop full out panicking!!! I have flown 11 times already this year so it doesnt stop me..just freaks me more each time!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:51 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

I can sympathise with you, being nervous flying is horrible, especially when its a long haul flight
but the one sure fire way to get rid of all your nerves and enjoy the flight is by going business class with BA, QANTAS or Singapore, i guarentee you, you will have such a pleasurable time that you wont have time to feel nervous
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

DIAZAPAN , i took these for the flight, i was absolutely terrified, i would not even fly to Spain , we always went by coach.
I had a fear that i would get on that plane and have a panic attack, well i took the medication and i was fine, i was so laid back, and relaxed, and i enjoyed the flight, I stopped taking them when we got here, highly recommended. Denise
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Are you out of Rehab yet??
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Are you out of Rehab yet??
I was but husband is thinking of sending me back in!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:45 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I was but husband is thinking of sending me back in!

Sensible man.

Have you met our Melibeam down in Mentone yet?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Sensible man.

Have you met our Melibeam down in Mentone yet?
I most certainly have and meeting her next Thursday for coffee/lunch/wine (not sure what order though!)
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:53 am
The Godfather

I most certainly have and meeting her next Thursday for coffee/lunch/wine (not sure what order though!)

Give her my best, shes a sweetheart with a cracking accent.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:31 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Valium works best for me.

I am a very nervous flyer - your worst kind of nightmare to have to sit next to - the kind who tries to get out of their set if the plane hits an air pocket and would love to run down the isle screaming. I obviously don't.

There are courses you can go on to over come your fears, try doing a search on the internet, might be worth it if you intend to travel to and fro from OZ. They will talk through the noises the plane makes and will take you on a short flight - not done the course, but have considered it. The book might be a cheaper alternative initially - see how that goes.

Things I do, if I'm not popping pills - look at the steward - they are not nervous, why should you be. My dad has talked through all the noises of the plane to me, so I keep that in the back of my mind.

I got on a rough flight from France once, the steward noticed me and asked if I was ok (Much to the embarrassment of my partner!), I told her I didn't like flying and she moved me to the front of the plane for landing as it's apparently more smoother at the front of the aircraft. It was empty in first class and thinking back she probably moved me, so I wouldn't scare other passengers. But it might be worth booking your seats before check in towards the front of the aircraft.

I'll stop going on now. Good luck with your book and let me know how you get on.

Claire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.