British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   flight - how do you cope? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flight-how-do-you-cope-247436/)

ohippy Aug 8th 2004 7:41 pm

flight - how do you cope?

This time next week we'll be in the air on the way to our reccie trip. I'm a tad excited :D but a little bit worried about how I'm going to cope travelling for that length of time. No kiddies to worry about (am leaving them behind) but I don't sleep well and fidget a lot - anyone got any ideas how I am to cope/entertain myself ?

Timber Floor Au Aug 8th 2004 7:57 pm

Re: flight - how do you cope?

Originally Posted by ohippy
This time next week we'll be in the air on the way to our reccie trip. I'm a tad excited :D but a little bit worried about how I'm going to cope travelling for that length of time. No kiddies to worry about (am leaving them behind) but I don't sleep well and fidget a lot - anyone got any ideas how I am to cope/entertain myself ?

Ask for an Outside seat ! :D

bundy Aug 8th 2004 8:12 pm

Get hold of some Nytol from the chemist - gentle herbal rememdy that helps you sleep. And try taking some 5-HTP (from Holland and Barrett). It boost the body's seretonin secretion, combatting jetlag. But it also contains valerian which helps you sleep too.

ProofReader Aug 8th 2004 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by ohippy

The flight is a long, tedious one, that's for sure! I don't sleep properly on these long hauls either.

I usually try to take a wander around the plane at frequent intervals to help pass the time and stretch my legs. Often you can strike up a conversation with another passenger/s or the crew members.

Drink plenty of water, try to keep the alcohol to a minimum.

A good book and/or crossword or other puzzle book is essential!

A pack of cards can also help, if you like playing patience.

Take a notebook and jot down thoughts. You may find that you sit there thinking, "I must remember to do *such and such*"! Write it down!! Write down your thoughts/observations for next time you travel.

Just a few suggestions anyway! ;)

Above all, relax and enjoy every new experience! Hope you have a wonderful trip!! :D

PR

ohippy Aug 8th 2004 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by bundy
Get hold of some Nytol from the chemist - gentle herbal rememdy that helps you sleep. And try taking some 5-HTP (from Holland and Barrett). It boost the body's seretonin secretion, combatting jetlag. But it also contains valerian which helps you sleep too.

Thanks for the ideas (have already asked for an outside seat) - I must admit that, for a minute, I thought you wrote that it contained valium !! Off to town tomorrow - will get 5-HTP as a definite - won't have any time for jetlag

SuperSeagulls Aug 8th 2004 9:08 pm

You could always play on the computer consoles most flights have these days! Or if you're really lucky they'll be a camera at the front of the plane that is relayed to one of the channels on your screen.....fantastic for take offs and landing.

SS