British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flight Booked today-yeahhhhhhh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flight-booked-today-yeahhhhhhh-279635/)

threlly Jan 24th 2005 2:41 pm

Flight Booked today-yeahhhhhhh

Hi there,
I got my 136 visa last week and have just booked our flights to OZ. We fly out from Manchester on May 1st via Hong Kong, so have booked into a hotel in HK for 4 nights which I am really looking forward to. We then fly from Hong Kong to cairns and arrive in Cairns on 7th May. We plan to travel down the east coast to Sydney for about 6-8 weeks, so should be in Sydney around mid to end of June. I am so excited and don't know what to sort out next. It's only 14 weeks away which is nothing. I have not booked a hotel in Cairns yet, we plan to stay there for about 5 nights and do the Barrier reef etc, last time we were there we stayed in a hostel but this time I want to stay in a nice hotel with a pool and just chill for a few days, if anyone as any recommendations of hotels that are in the center close to the bars, nightlife etc I would be greatful to hear from you. I suppose I better start calling family/friends to let them know our plans. :beer:
cheers for now

wortho Feb 16th 2005 8:03 pm

Re: Flight Booked today-yeahhhhhhh

Hi Threlly,
I read on another post (can't find it now)that you were flying Cathy on a special deal. I was wondering what the baggage allowance is on these flights? my Dad is also flying to Sydney in April but will have about 40kg of baggage so its important he finds the right airline.
Cheers

Originally Posted by threlly
Hi there,
I got my 136 visa last week and have just booked our flights to OZ. We fly out from Manchester on May 1st via Hong Kong, so have booked into a hotel in HK for 4 nights which I am really looking forward to. We then fly from Hong Kong to cairns and arrive in Cairns on 7th May. We plan to travel down the east coast to Sydney for about 6-8 weeks, so should be in Sydney around mid to end of June. I am so excited and don't know what to sort out next. It's only 14 weeks away which is nothing. I have not booked a hotel in Cairns yet, we plan to stay there for about 5 nights and do the Barrier reef etc, last time we were there we stayed in a hostel but this time I want to stay in a nice hotel with a pool and just chill for a few days, if anyone as any recommendations of hotels that are in the center close to the bars, nightlife etc I would be greatful to hear from you. I suppose I better start calling family/friends to let them know our plans. :beer:
cheers for now

soapy© Feb 16th 2005 8:10 pm

ooooow i bet your gettin excited now ;)

threlly Feb 17th 2005 10:03 am

Hi wortho,
yes i got a special deal, we paid £293 each one way. i think the luggage allowance is only 20kg. that is fine for us as we are only taking our backpacks as we r travelling for 10 weeks, the rest is being shipped over. we r not flying to sydney though, we r flying to cairns
cheers

Originally Posted by wortho
Hi Threlly,
I read on another post (can't find it now)that you were flying Cathy on a special deal. I was wondering what the baggage allowance is on these flights? my Dad is also flying to Sydney in April but will have about 40kg of baggage so its important he finds the right airline.
Cheers

samnrob2 Feb 17th 2005 10:09 am

Hi wortho,
yes i got a special deal, we paid £293 each one way. i think the luggage allowance is only 20kg. that is fine for us as we are only taking our backpacks as we r travelling for 10 weeks, the rest is being shipped over. we r not flying to sydney though, we r flying to cairns
cheers

Having reserved our flights a couple of days ago, we're going to be booking our flights tomorrow - just got our house completion date through today - next Friday!!! yippppeeee!

Flying with Qantas 20th March from Heathrow to LA. Stop for 5 hours and then straight on to Brisbane. £1,112 (inc. taxes and insurance) for me and the wife, with 128kg baggage allowance and 12kg hand luggage = 22 stone!

You beauty!

Rob

joveazey Feb 17th 2005 10:10 am

Hi Threlly,

I was really excited to read your post ! Hopefully we'll be booking flights to go about the same time, but Heathrow to Perth. I can't believe that the time seems to have flown since we were both applying for our visas. Good luck to you in your new life. ;)

Jo

threlly Feb 17th 2005 10:21 am

Hi joveazey,
good luck to you as well in your new life. its all so exciting isn't it, i feel like i am living a dream at the moment, it hasn't sunk in that i have my visa after all the time and waiting. i thought that once i got my visa i could relax a bit, but how wrong and stupid i was, there is so much to sort out, i have a list as long as my arms and legs. just want to pack and go now. good luck and stay in touch
cheers for now

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi Threlly,

I was really excited to read your post ! Hopefully we'll be booking flights to go about the same time, but Heathrow to Perth. I can't believe that the time seems to have flown since we were both applying for our visas. Good luck to you in your new life. ;)

Jo

suzysu Feb 17th 2005 10:28 am

I've been in Sydney for 3 months now and still living in a dream i think, dont know whether that feeling will ever change, but its great!!

Best of luck with sorting everything out before u fly over. The time will go really quickly for you, so make sure u are really organised.

Hopefully see u at one of the sydney meets once u are here

su

RichnKim Feb 17th 2005 10:41 am

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Having reserved our flights a couple of days ago, we're going to be booking our flights tomorrow - just got our house completion date through today - next Friday!!! yippppeeee!

Flying with Qantas 20th March from Heathrow to LA. Stop for 5 hours and then straight on to Brisbane. £1,112 (inc. taxes and insurance) for me and the wife, with 128kg baggage allowance and 12kg hand luggage = 22 stone!

You beauty!

Rob

Hey Rob
We are completing on the house on the same day. But we are flying out the next morning. Couldn't find anybody who would put us up. So its pack and go.

Rgds
Rich

threlly Feb 17th 2005 10:48 am

Hi suzysu,
i am a really organised person anyway, but my lists keep getting longer and longer, its all the little things that need doing. i'm sure it will all be fine and yes u will see me at one of the sydney meets
cheers

Originally Posted by suzysu
I've been in Sydney for 3 months now and still living in a dream i think, dont know whether that feeling will ever change, but its great!!

Best of luck with sorting everything out before u fly over. The time will go really quickly for you, so make sure u are really organised.

Hopefully see u at one of the sydney meets once u are here

su

samnrob2 Feb 17th 2005 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RichnKim
Hey Rob
We are completing on the house on the same day. But we are flying out the next morning. Couldn't find anybody who would put us up. So its pack and go.

Rgds
Rich

That's very brave of you...our chain collapsed just before Xmas so we didn't want to tempt fate and book flights so close to the move date - just in case! Thankfully the mother-in-law is on a six week holiday in Spain at the moment so we have the use of her house.

Also, I was covering my own back at work - didn't want to officially give my notice in until I was certain!

Where are you going to Rich?

Hope everything goes through ok - have you said all your goodbyes already?

Rob

djdutts Feb 17th 2005 10:52 am

See you in Manly!

MorningMaro Feb 17th 2005 12:14 pm

Nice one threlly, great news!
We booked our flights today too - going to Sydney from Manchester via Kuala Lumpur (for 2 nights) flying out on Mar 29th...
Just trawling the net for some decent hotel deals for while we're there.
Just six weeks to go now and a million and one things still to do (including small matters of renting house out, selling car, booking packers etc etc etc the list goes on...) very scary but exciting isn't it!!

Caro

Hi there,
cheers for now

threlly Feb 17th 2005 12:30 pm

Hi Morningmaro,
yes, it is very scary and exciting. i have 11 weeks to go. we r flying from manchester to cairns. there is an endless list of things to do. we had whites & co round our place on tuesday, there should be a quote in the post anytime soon. we have also ahd a quote from john masons and are going to contact pickfords. where in manchester r u? we r in disbury, south manchester
cheers

Originally Posted by MorningMaro
Nice one threlly, great news!
We booked our flights today too - going to Sydney from Manchester via Kuala Lumpur (for 2 nights) flying out on Mar 29th...
Just trawling the net for some decent hotel deals for while we're there.
Just six weeks to go now and a million and one things still to do (including small matters of renting house out, selling car, booking packers etc etc etc the list goes on...) very scary but exciting isn't it!!

Caro

wortho Feb 19th 2005 8:43 pm

Hi Threlly,
Thanks for your reply, I thought they may not be so generous with the baggage allowance on these cheaper fares.
BTW. An article from this mornings paper regarding house prices in Manly. House prices at Manly dropped by 24 per cent while those at Bondi dipped 18.6 per cent. A further drop of at least 9 per cent is expected in both suburbs this year. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/...709487884.html
Cheers

Hi wortho,
cheers