Wikiposts

Flies (again)

Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:20 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: Flies (again)

Originally Posted by GinaUK
O.k., this is probably a really dumb question and you can all laugh at me: but why doesn't anyone in Oz wear a sort of "sun-hat-with-veil" when the flies are out? Can't think of a better way to describe them, but in the north of the Scandinavian countries people wear these, mainly to protect from mozzies, but I'm sure it would work against flies as well. Would that not work?

Gina
We go one better-we wash daily. Thats why the flies tend to go for the POMs and leave us alone. Its our little secret. You have heard the old Aussie saying, "You can smell when a POMs around", I'm sure. So can the flies.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:44 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As far as I'm concerned the flies, and dont underestimate their nuisance
value until you've experienced it, are the single most annoying thing about Aussie.
Hear, hear. If I forget to put the cover on my daughter's pram on the walk to school, they just get funnelled in there. She's pretty good about not complaining, I check her, and she's completely black - all over her eyes, nose and mouth.

The flies regularly ruin picnics for the kids during the week - as my kids haven't grown up with them, their tolerance is quite low (same as me) and it just completely puts you off the outdoor eating experience. Such a shame, when the weather is so glorious!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:03 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As far as I'm concerned the flies, and dont underestimate their nuisance
value until you've experienced it, are the single most annoying thing about Aussie.
Yep - I'd second that. But their only redeeming quality is that here, at least, they vanish at sunset. And of course they're not around all the year. When we were over in May, we didn't see one single fly, either in Sydney or Perth.

Dh has found that when he walks the dog in the morning and at night, they are dreadful while he's walking north, but when he comes back in the other direction he doesn't get troubled at all. Very odd....and yes, he does shower every day!

Sue
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Dh has found that when he walks the dog in the morning and at night, they are dreadful while he's walking north, but when he comes back in the other direction he doesn't get troubled at all. Very odd....and yes, he does shower every day!

Sue
Its because they sit on your back when your going the other way so you don't realise they are there, odd I know and I've no idea why but I notice it when there are 2 of us walking the dogs, maybe its when they are in the shade of your body they stick to your back. (I shower every day normally twice and they still bug the hell out of me)
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:19 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Its because they sit on your back when your going the other way so you don't realise they are there, odd I know and I've no idea why but I notice it when there are 2 of us walking the dogs, maybe its when they are in the shade of your body they stick to your back. (I shower every day normally twice and they still bug the hell out of me)
Cheeky buggers!! Hitching a flaming ride!!

I have to admit, I don't think I will ever get used to the flies. The heat and the flies were my only reservations about life here - I know I have yet to experience the draining heat, but I am living the flies right now and hate it every bit as much as I expected to. Daft as it sounds, flies are about the only thing that make me angry enough to commit murder. I'm a gentle soul most of the time but when I am armed with my fly swatter, I'm EVIL....

Sue
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:22 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
Its when they go up your nose and ge stuck at the back of your throat, still buzzing that I start to loose it :
this happened to mrs soapy at the last expats meet. nearly pissed myself laughing. this is what u guys need. mitre 10 $15 each. and worth every cent
Attached Thumbnails Flies (again)-1-085.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Cheeky buggers!! Hitching a flaming ride!!

I have to admit, I don't think I will ever get used to the flies. The heat and the flies were my only reservations about life here - I know I have yet to experience the draining heat, but I am living the flies right now and hate it every bit as much as I expected to. Daft as it sounds, flies are about the only thing that make me angry enough to commit murder. I'm a gentle soul most of the time but when I am armed with my fly swatter, I'm EVIL....

Sue
I've spent the last week on my hands and knees in the garden cementing a wall and the little f888kers won't leave me alone, and its almost impossible to swat them away with a cement covered trowl in one hand and a hopper full of cement in the other! Half a can of aeroguard doesn't seem to help either.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:26 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by soapy
this happened to mrs soapy at the last expats meet. nearly pissed myself laughing. this is what u guys need. mitre 10 $15 each. and worth every cent
How does that work? I've just bought 2 fly traps from big W and in a whole week they only caught 1 fly! How high do you keep it off the ground?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
How does that work? I've just bought 2 fly traps from big W and in a whole week they only caught 1 fly! How high do you keep it off the ground?
trust me they work. we have a few about the garden. one was full to the top after a few really hot days.
they have a powder in them that attracts the B%^$£"^s.
we can now sit outside and eat without hassle
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe it, I actually agree with Grayling, the flies in Sydney are a nightmare. The good thing is the further you go up the coast the less of them there are.
The bloody March flies are a nuisance though if you go white water rafting on the tully river, the little buggers bite and hurt quite a bit!!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:13 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GinaUK
O.k., this is probably a really dumb question and you can all laugh at me: but why doesn't anyone in Oz wear a sort of "sun-hat-with-veil" when the flies are out? Can't think of a better way to describe them, but in the north of the Scandinavian countries people wear these, mainly to protect from mozzies, but I'm sure it would work against flies as well. Would that not work?

Gina
we saw quite a few people wearing them Gina, but i guess they are a pain for everyday life or just nipping to the shops in :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i have got to ask: where are you????

London
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
Do you get to skull it at the end of the week??