Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flies in adelaide, it's not that bad or is it?

flies in adelaide, it's not that bad or is it?

Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of
Default flies in adelaide, it's not that bad or is it?

Just been reading some previous posts about flies in the summertime hitting the cities in their thousands etc and being a real pain in the arse but from what i have read adelaide seems to be spared the worst of it, is this true?
Mrs oldhamisadump was totally freaked by some of the other posts about flies in yer gob and eyes etc and was moaning about "why bother going to aus if you have to spend half the summer indoors because if you go outside you get covered in sweat licking sh1t eaters"!!!
PLEASE tell me it is not that bad as it has put her right off.
Cheers for any replies.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Re: flies in adelaide, it's not that bad or is it?

Originally Posted by oldhamisadump
Just been reading some previous posts about flies in the summertime hitting the cities in their thousands etc and being a real pain in the arse but from what i have read adelaide seems to be spared the worst of it, is this true?
Mrs oldhamisadump was totally freaked by some of the other posts about flies in yer gob and eyes etc and was moaning about "why bother going to aus if you have to spend half the summer indoors because if you go outside you get covered in sweat licking sh1t eaters"!!!
Cheers for any replies.
Only been here since April so this is our first Summer here. Just started noticing the flies these last few weeks as the weather has started improving. They are a pain the arse but from what I have read I don't think they are as bad here as other places. But they are still a nuisance. We went to Henley Beach a few weeks back and we had to leave after half hour cos they were really pissing us off but when we went to North Haven beach they didn't bother us. As we haven't been here for a full summer not sure if they will get any worse but I hope not as I feel they are manageable at the moment but couldn't cope if they were in the face constantly.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of

Thanks Foster Clan.
I don't know if the wife could cope with flies in her face all the time, Please let me know if it gets any better/worse.
I hope everything is going well for you down under.
PS. How is the job situation there? are you working/did it take long to find a job?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Thanks Foster Clan.
I don't know if the wife could cope with flies in her face all the time, Please let me know if it gets any better/worse.
PS. How is the job situation there? are you working/did it take long to find a job?

Will keep you posted on the fly situation.
Regarding jobs in Adelaide. My husband is a registered nurse so had a nursing job lined up already before we got here. However in UK he was a medical sales rep and as soon as we got here he started job hunting and it took about four months for him to get a medical sales job. Which incidentally he loves (he hated nursing). I don't work as I have a toddler and am due a baby any day (overdue now). However in UK I had a second job as an IT tutor working in community centres/night classes etc. I did initially try to get something similar along those lines when we got here just for a few hours a week but nothing came of it. I didn't really try that hard - just rang a few places us but they said they had too many IT tutors already. Not something I encountered in UK as I was always being asked to do extra classes etc.
I suppose it depends what line of work you are in as to how easy it is.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:02 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any replies.
I've a question on flies, (TROLLS close your eyes now). I read all the fly info on that site someone posted the other day and it said that flies migrate from north to south on the wind and when the wind changes from south to north they all sit down so as not to get blown back up north. So does this mean there are less flies up in Queensland?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Foster Clan.

I take it all back. The flies are a nightmare and definitely in your face. The worst is taking the kids out and they are in their faces. We've just attempted to go out and came back 30 minutes later due to the flies. Not the first time either.
Jo
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
I take it all back. The flies are a nightmare and definitely in your face. The worst is taking the kids out and they are in their faces. We've just attempted to go out and came back 30 minutes later due to the flies. Not the first time either.
Jo
Well the files are getting exponentially worse here now, I now have to wear the silly hat when I go out but they still drive me nuts. Worst is in the swimming pool with just your head sticking out they use you for target practice then when they get tired they sit on you. I've now got 2 fly traps and the mossie slayer and they still survive!! Got to invent something better, If I'd wanted to live in africa I would have moved there instead!
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: flies in adelaide, it's not that bad or is it?

Cheers for any replies.
The fliese are really bad this year, have never known them to be quite this bad, I think it has got something to do with having a really wet winter.We have lived here for over 40 years and this is the worst YEAR that I can ever recall.
We went on a car rally last weekend to Rapid Bay and they were so bad we could not eat our lunch,so we sprayed inside our car pulled up the windows and ate our lunch in the car, thank God it was'nt 40 degs. :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I've a question on flies, (TROLLS close your eyes now). I read all the fly info on that site someone posted the other day and it said that flies migrate from north to south on the wind and when the wind changes from south to north they all sit down so as not to get blown back up north. So does this mean there are less flies up in Queensland?
Along the coast of qld you just dont seem to get the disgusting flies, you get a few normal flies that get around food but not the body hunting ones Its the only place in OZ Ive been that does not seem to get them in summer, however out west in qld they seemed to be a problem too, but we were near cattle so maybe thats why. Worst shock I got was they are in melbourne too, dont know why just thought they would not have them there but they were pretty bad last december, not in winter tho of course.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Along the coast of qld you just dont seem to get the disgusting flies, you get a few normal flies that get around food but not the body hunting ones Its the only place in OZ Ive been that does not seem to get them in summer, however out west in qld they seemed to be a problem too, but we were near cattle so maybe thats why. Worst shock I got was they are in melbourne too, dont know why just thought they would not have them there but they were pretty bad last december, not in winter tho of course.
In Melbourne they seem to come on the odd day, like once every few weeks or something. They're there for a day, then vanish. They were bad for one of the days I was down there a few weeks ago. Not a regular enough occurence to not want to move there. WA was the worst place I have ever been for flies but only down at Bunbury.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

The local paper here ran an article on the extreme fly problem this year (something like 650 billion estimate :scared: ). This is not normal though and things should improve as the weather heats up and the predators catch up with the cycle (not 100% sure I am happy about the sound of that but at the moment less flies does sound good) . This is the same paper however that ran an article after a recent storm with pictures of a hospital burning and matching headlines only to then mention somewhere near the bottom that it was a planned fire to demolish the building so not sure how much credence I would give to their figures.
Nicky
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:07 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
I take it all back. The flies are a nightmare and definitely in your face.
Invest in a hat and fly-net. For those that can't bear the flies it's the only remedy.

I get the flies all over me, but after a few minutes I get used to it and can mentally block it out most of the time - keep your mouth closed and you're ok-ish. I don't know what's worse, the flies or people I'm with whinging about the flies.

Just wait till the March flies arrive, you'll look back at the current pest as an old friend.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:18 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

The flies in Sydney are absolutely awful, and are every summer. Yesterday we tried to have an outdoor buffet at the local pool - flies all over the food, babies, everywhere. Total waste of time. Roll on Autumn, they seem to die out a bit then.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently, they are attracted to sweat . They have been round since mid-Nov in Melbourne which is unusual but yes, there here, they're a pain in the arse but at least it's only for about 3 or so months (if that helps )
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:21 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Apparently, they are attracted to sweat . They have been round since mid-Nov in Melbourne which is unusual but yes, there here, they're a pain in the arse but at least it's only for about 3 or so months (if that helps )
Also to dark colours as they retain heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.