Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide

Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide

Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Re: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide

Had a quick shifty in the greenwith area. Quite a variety of houses there.
This one's under offer right enough, but is the kind of property we'd hope to be looking for. What sort of rep. does Ian wood homes have? Anyone?

This one doesn't look too bad either, but difficult to tell.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rightruccus
This one's under offer right enough, but is the kind of property we'd hope to be looking for. What sort of rep. does Ian wood homes have? Anyone?

If you like Greenwith, which is a great place, also look at Golden Grove, Gulf view hights, Redwood Park, Banksia Park, All within 5mins of each other.
Golden grove is the hub with a great choice of state & private schools. Good shopping facilities, fantastic public transport,
Most house's in greenwith and golden grove are less than 10yrs old, which is good for rentals, also it is easier to get a rental as not in big demand as the south area's.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Thanks milly, much appreciated info.
I'll have a look later tonight and see what the houses are like in the areas you mention.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I like the first one! A lot of house for the money!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I like the first one! A lot of house for the money!
Yeah. I quite liked this one as well, but not as much as the first.

Last edited by rightruccus; Sep 27th 2007 at 10:04 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. I quite liked this one as well, but not as much as the first.
That sounds nice inside, but hasn't got as much kerb appeal as the first one. LOL. however, I have noticed you tend toward 'English' style houses!

I am determined to have a bungalow. We have a 3 storey house and it's a killer running up and down stairs all day. Never again!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Up To Late
That sounds nice inside, but hasn't got as much kerb appeal as the first one. LOL. however, I have noticed you tend toward 'English' style houses!

I am determined to have a bungalow. We have a 3 storey house and it's a killer running up and down stairs all day. Never again!
Ha ha. The thing is, i ain't even English! I've never been one for Tudor style houses in the UK and even more so "fake" Tudor style (bleugh!), but there was something about that one that caught my eye, but can't put my finger on it.

Funnily enough in other areas we've been looking at, most were bungalows, but haven't seen any in Greenwith that have given the "wow" factor. Bungalow would be nice yes, i like all on the one level type.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha. The thing is, i ain't even English! I've never been one for Tudor style houses in the UK and even more so "fake" Tudor style (bleugh!), but there was something about that one that caught my eye, but can't put my finger on it.

Funnily enough in other areas we've been looking at, most were bungalows, but haven't seen any in Greenwith that have given the "wow" factor. Bungalow would be nice yes, i like all on the one level type.
Yes, I liked the first one too - despite it being mock Tudor. We used to live in an Edwardian mock Tudor house. (ie it was 100 yrs old) so I suppose it looked a lot like that to me. That was 3 storeys too.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:33 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by milly123
If you like Greenwith, which is a great place, also look at Golden Grove, Gulf view hights, Redwood Park, Banksia Park, All within 5mins of each other.
Golden grove is the hub with a great choice of state & private schools. Good shopping facilities, fantastic public transport,
Most house's in greenwith and golden grove are less than 10yrs old, which is good for rentals, also it is easier to get a rental as not in big demand as the south area's.
Have to disagree with some of your points!! Agree with the areas you mention personally I like Greenwith and Golden Grove, Wynn Vale best out of those areas!!

Our house is 11 years old in Greenwith but friends of ours is 8 years old and another 10 years, but there is still alot of builds going up here!

Rental wise, it is a nightmare getting something, all the good places go before they even come on the market, friend of ours just put advert in the paper to rent her 5 bed house out and she got in one weekend 39 phone calls!! Guess it is just luck of the draw!!

The houses you are pointing out on the internet, are all nice it is very misleading looking at houses on the internet as the photos always make them look nice!! We are lucky we have a really big block in Greenwith but some of the houses in the above areas have tiny tiny gardens, guess it depends what you want!!

Whilst it seems alot of Poms head down South, I hear lots of english accents in Golden Grove and Greenwith and areas, I think this area is becoming more and more popular!!

Certainly with the hype in the paper about people coming out of state to buy in the North East areas because this is where the properties in Adealaide are going to rise quickly, is pushing the prices up, we bought ours in Feb this year and remained friends with our Real Estate agent who was british, she now values our home at considerably more than what we paid for it!!

But as is always said whats for one isnt always for another!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:48 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Just had another look at the houses you selected the first one Tudor Style been on market for a while, see it now sold though!! Our Aussie mates all said DONT buy a house with one garage, as most Aussies look for a double garage and reselling a house with only one can be difficult!! Infact when we looked at houses on our rekkie trip we looked at about 4 or 5 that had 3 garages!!! Two normal and one "fake" fronted for the boat or caravan!! Good idea we thought!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Have to disagree with some of your points!! Agree with the areas you mention personally I like Greenwith and Golden Grove, Wynn Vale best out of those areas!!

Our house is 11 years old in Greenwith but friends of ours is 8 years old and another 10 years, but there is still alot of builds going up here!

Rental wise, it is a nightmare getting something, all the good places go before they even come on the market, friend of ours just put advert in the paper to rent her 5 bed house out and she got in one weekend 39 phone calls!! Guess it is just luck of the draw!!

The houses you are pointing out on the internet, are all nice it is very misleading looking at houses on the internet as the photos always make them look nice!! We are lucky we have a really big block in Greenwith but some of the houses in the above areas have tiny tiny gardens, guess it depends what you want!!

Whilst it seems alot of Poms head down South, I hear lots of english accents in Golden Grove and Greenwith and areas, I think this area is becoming more and more popular!!

Certainly with the hype in the paper about people coming out of state to buy in the North East areas because this is where the properties in Adealaide are going to rise quickly, is pushing the prices up, we bought ours in Feb this year and remained friends with our Real Estate agent who was british, she now values our home at considerably more than what we paid for it!!

But as is always said whats for one isnt always for another!!
Just looked on the web, and i would still say that the north has more new property for rent , unless you look at seaford rise etc. Most new arrivals still like to try and be near the beach at the beginning.
And yes the newer the property usually the smaller the block.
Hence bigger blocks in Flagstaff hill or wynn vale.
Like you said depends on the individual. and what they are looking for.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

The houses you are pointing out on the internet, are all nice it is very misleading looking at houses on the internet as the photos always make them look nice!!
Yeah i agree, it's the same over here. Houses look the dogs doo dahs, then when you get to the property, it's nothing like it! A bit of creative photography going on!

we bought ours in Feb this year and remained friends with our Real Estate agent who was british, she now values our home at considerably more than what we paid for it!!
Any idea what sort of % increase you're seeing? Where we are just now, we've been seeing on average around 10%/annum for a considerable number of years. In monetary terms the increase is like a second income! This gives us the dilemma of selling up lock,stock and barrel or renting out as a nest egg for later years.

Our Aussie mates all said DONT buy a house with one garage,
Cheers for the tip Sham, we'll keep that in mind.

Most new arrivals still like to try and be near the beach at the beginning.
Interesting. We're kinda spoiled where we are just now. Within 15mins drive, we have major shopping centres. In another direction, we're 20-30 mins from the coast and beaches and around 45-60mins in another direction we have all the hills,mountains,lochs,valleys and typical Scottish Highland scenery a tourist expects to see from this country. All we don't have is a view from our own home apart from hundreds of other modern samey houses.

I know what you mean about newer houses being on smaller blocks. Same here. In fact i hate it. They give you like one car parking space in the driveway which means it's arse usually overhangs on to the pavement. Couple that with most households having two cars now, means the second car is parked on the pavement cause nobody uses their garage for anything apart from storing their clutter or as additional storage space. When you then take most of the houses round here with cars littering the street and streets having been made narrower than in the past, circumnavigating the streets round here is a bit of a nightmare. Keeps the speed down though...
The thing is, a lot of buyers now are "professional", career type people who haven't the time or inclination to do gardening, so who needs the big gardens of old?

Last edited by rightruccus; Sep 28th 2007 at 11:25 am.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what sort of % increase you're seeing? Where we are just now, we've been seeing on average around 10%/annum for a considerable number of years. In monetary terms the increase is like a second income! This gives us the dilemma of selling up lock,stock and barrel or renting out as a nest egg for later years.
They are saying that they are expecting a 20% increase over the next year or two. Mine has gone up about 10% in 6 months and I hardly started renovating yet

Interesting. We're kinda spoiled where we are just now. Within 15mins drive, we have major shopping centres. In another direction, we're 20-30 mins from the coast and beaches and around 45-60mins in another direction we have all the hills,mountains,lochs,valleys and typical Scottish Highland scenery a tourist expects to see from this country. All we don't have is a view from our own home apart from hundreds of other modern samey houses.
It's not really that different here. I'm half hour away from the beach, 10 - 15 minutes away from the hills, half hour away from the Barossa Valley and only about and hour and half away from the outback

Adelaide is great like that, there is something here for everyone. You've just got to find what it is you're looking for.
I know what you mean about newer houses being on smaller blocks. Same here. In fact i hate it. They give you like one car parking space in the driveway which means it's arse usually overhangs on to the pavement. Couple that with most households having two cars now, means the second car is parked on the pavement cause nobody uses their garage for anything apart from storing their clutter or as additional storage space. When you then take most of the houses round here with cars littering the street and streets having been made narrower than in the past, circumnavigating the streets round here is a bit of a nightmare. Keeps the speed down though...
The thing is, a lot of buyers now are "professional", career type people who haven't the time or inclination to do gardening, so who needs the big gardens of old?
I'm in a 30 year old house. It's double brick and is on a 911 metre block. I have a huge garden, palm trees, orange and lemon trees. I only have one garage, but I have room for two cars on my drive way which is enclosed by fencing.

At the end of the day it's all about preference. Some people don't want a garden, some people don't want an older house, some people don't want to live near the beach, some people don't want to live near shopping centres etc etc etc. You've got to look for what you want, and sod everyone else
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:39 pm
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by milly123
Just looked on the web, and i would still say that the north has more new property for rent , unless you look at seaford rise etc. Most new arrivals still like to try and be near the beach at the beginning.
Hence bigger blocks in Flagstaff hill or wynn vale.
Like you said depends on the individual. and what they are looking for.
I guess it comes down to personal experience, when we first arrived we looked for a 4 bed rental in Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Greenwith areas as the kids were in booked in for schools there and honestly there was nothing!! We viewed a couple slightly outside these areas and well I wouldnt of put my dog in either!!

Lucky for us we ended up buying our "dream" house in Greenwith within a couple of days, so our plan changed completely to what it was meant to be!!

Like I said before guess it just comes down to the old fashioned "in the right place at the right time"!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:56 pm
A Returning Member!!

Yeah i agree, it's the same over here. Houses look the dogs doo dahs, then when you get to the property, it's nothing like it! A bit of creative photography going on!

Cheers for the tip Sham, we'll keep that in mind.

We nearly bought a house here off the web, various reasons why, looking back we were mental to think about it, but we sent friends of ours (two different sets) to the open of the house we were interested in buying, seriously scared the $%&£ out of us, the photos our two sets of friends took compared to the ones on the web well I was sure it was a different house to be honest!! But guess at your stage it does give you an idea of what you get for your money!!

Pretty much at the £400-£450 mark you are looking at a nice 4 bedder in the areas we are talking about.

With regards to increase on our property the price we paid compared to the price it is now valued at some 8 months later I would agree with Wendy on that it has increased just over 10% in 7-8 months, all we have done is paint the kids rooms! It seems though again in my experience that it is much harder here to price a house, if that makes sense, friends of ours are looking, and they have put in a bids on a house saying bids over $400,000.00 they are bidding away and said house is being sold at $470,000.00 +++ and even the agent is shocked!!

With regards your comments about two car drivers in households, cars parked in the street etc etc, that isnt really the case here, well not where I live, as most houses have the double garages and park in them (not like in the UK, dont think i ever parked in a garage in the UK here we use the garage all the time) guess this is why my original comment about being advised to not buy a house with a single garage!!?!?!

Are you coming out on a rekkie trip?? To me that was invaluable we managed to sort everything on ours, jobs, schools, areas to live, etc etc so very lucky!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.