British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Fitting it all in the container! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fitting-all-container-261207/)

GLR Oct 20th 2004 12:39 pm

Fitting it all in the container!

We've got PSS coming in less than 2 weeks and I'm starting to panic about fitting everything we need in the container. The various shippers estimated that we have around 1,100 cubic foot of stuff and that a 20ft container holds about 1,030 cubic foot.

Have people found that the estimator tend to always overestimate and that when the container arrives everything fits in or are the estimators more accurate than that?

I'm trying to decide just how much stuff to place in the "maybe" pile of things that we'll leave out if the container becomes full.

Thanks

GLR

jensteve Oct 20th 2004 2:49 pm

Re: Fitting it all in the container!

[QUOTE=GLR]We've got PSS coming in less than 2 weeks and I'm starting to panic about fitting everything we need in the container. The various shippers estimated that we have around 1,100 cubic foot of stuff and that a 20ft container holds about 1,030 cubic foot.

Have people found that the estimator tend to always overestimate and that when the container arrives everything fits in or are the estimators more accurate than that?

I'm trying to decide just how much stuff to place in the "maybe" pile of things that we'll leave out if the container becomes full.

Hi
Our container arrived a couple of months back and how it all fitted in still makes me wonder.
All I can say is packers are bloody good at what they do, we had so much stuff it was unreal, and then just before it sailed I added a dining suite to it, and it all arrived.
Jenny

Jacko1 Oct 20th 2004 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by GLR
We've got PSS coming in less than 2 weeks and I'm starting to panic about fitting everything we need in the container. The various shippers estimated that we have around 1,100 cubic foot of stuff and that a 20ft container holds about 1,030 cubic foot.

Thanks

GLR

My money would be on it all fitting in :)

PJ

alison_g Oct 20th 2004 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by GLR

Thanks

GLR

undefinedWe felt exactly the same as you, PSS came and quoted at 960 cubic feet (Pickfords quoted at 1420, same stuff!) anyway we decided to use PSS. The week before their arrival, we moved all our stuff (the things that were staying behind) into one bedroom, then tried to put the china etc together in the kitchen and lounge etc., the put stickers on cupboards we didn't want them to go in. Anyway, they arrived at 8 am, and got to work, they originally said it would take 2 whole days to pack us up, anyway, they managed to wrap and pack everything in one day, they finished at 7pm, no lunch! just lots of tea. It was all packed very swiftly. They arrranged for the container to arrive at 7am the next day. The packers both thought it would be a squease and prepared us to consider sending some groupage, I can tell you I didn't sleep that night. Anway, they packed it in, like a jigsaw, then once it was all in there was room for more! I scooted about the house and added a 6ft bookcase, a chest of draws, an BIG excercise machine and a few other bits. and there was still a bit more room left. The reckon we had 1170 in our 20foot container! not bad eh!
Sorry if I have gone on abit, just thought you would like a bit of reassurance, I know I could have done with some!!!! :eek:
Good Luck, I hope the packers you get were as good as ours!
Alison