Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fisrt Time Buyers Stamp Duty in Aus

Wikiposts

Fisrt Time Buyers Stamp Duty in Aus

Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fisrt Time Buyers Stamp Duty in Aus

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Chris,

On the phone with my mum on the gold coast this weekend & she told me about "DEVINE HOMES" www.devine.com.au who are offering a good land + home package...... subsidised rent for the 6 mths of the build, susbsidised mortgae payment for the 1st year you are in the house & they pay your stamp duty! They have a few developments in Queensland, not sure about anywhere else.

Claire
x
Thanks Claire. Maybe something similar in WA
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit too good to be true... make sure you look into it with a fine tooth comb.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:15 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Sounds a bit too good to be true... make sure you look into it with a fine tooth comb.
Thats what I thought too but have checked out the website & it all seems above board!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know the only stamp duty they are talking about abolishing is for finiacial transactions (on mortages, bank accounts, legal documents) and a few states have agred to this.

Stamp duty on property is in a different league as QLD makes about 1$ billion out of this each year so I won't hold my breath about it being scrapped.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Thats what I thought too but have checked out the website & it all seems above board!
I wouldnt touch Devine homes with a 10 foot barge pole.

Ever heard of negative equity? :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

here's the stamp duty calculator for South Australia:

http://www.brentonward.com.au/inform...mpdutycalc.htm

the stamp duty to be abolished 1 Jan 06 is the one for the Mortgage, not the large one for buying a house!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

LOL i thought the exact same thing Mrs DB (thats happening a lot lately :scared: )

A word of warning people, don't jump straight into building with any company till you've been around in Aus for a while. You get to hear a lot of stuff once you're here. (not from the companies themselves, or their websites, but from people that have used them and are in the know )

For anyone coming to Vic, be prepared to feel ripped off, our stamp duty is higher than anywhere else in Aus You also pay stamp duty on new and used cars too.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
i thought the exact same thing Mrs DB (thats happening a lot lately )
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Please God, make it stop

Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

here's the stamp duty calculator for South Australia:

http://www.brentonward.com.au/inform...mpdutycalc.htm

the stamp duty to be abolished 1 Jan 06 is the one for the Mortgage, not the large one for buying a house!

Blimey! How many types of stamp duty do they have over there

So, just to clarify this, does it mean that even if we WONT be taking out a mortgage to buy a property we still need to pay the stamp duty (in SA)?

Hugs
Karen x
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Karen

that's right, there seems to be 'Stamp Duty' on everything and don't forget GST!

(You can still use the Stamp Duty Calculator, without entering a mortgage amount).
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:16 pm
ABCDiamond

and don't forget GST!
At least thats only 10% though

Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TRUE - GST @ 10% doesn't sound too bad

Recently I moved into a rental and needed contents insurance:

The premium is $340 pa
+ GST $34
+ Stamp Duty $41.15

That's over 22% in taxes
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:57 pm
ABCDiamond

TRUE - GST @ 10% doesn't sound too bad

Recently I moved into a rental and needed contents insurance:

The premium is $340 pa
+ GST $34
+ Stamp Duty $41.15

That's over 22% in taxes
That part is the ridiculous bit, and part of having two governments.

The original plan, when GST was brought in, was for the Liberal Federal Government to give the GST revenue to the Labour run States, in exchange for the States to drop the various smaller stamp duties. The Labor States got the the GST revenue, but the other duties are still here aswell

That's politics

Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:14 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Is there something you would like to share with the rest of us??? ;o)
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:51 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Question Re: Fisrt Time Buyers Stamp Duty in Aus

Originally Posted by ssinnige
Be aware of the whereabouts of your 'first' home. In Qld, the rules are different for the stamp duty and the first home owners grant. For the first home owners grant you must not have owned a home within Australia ever before. While for the stamp duty for first home owners you must not have owned a home ANYWHERE in the world! Your sollicitor should take that into account (as mine did) when you buy a home.

Just to make regulations a bit more exciting for sollicitors they come up with these little issues.
I've been looking at the property buying rules etc for Queensland and am now focussing on Melbourne.... (long story) - SOMEWHERE I thought I had read that the rule for the FHOG was that you could not have owned a home in Australia since a particular date... sorry, forgotten when it was but 5-10 years.... So I understood that my husband would still be able to apply since he hasn't owned property in Oz for about 15 years. Am I wrong/nuts/dreaming? If so, can I apply on my own - i.e. technically buy the house without putting his name on the deeds - and claim the grant.... and if we have a joint mortgage, would that mean we both need to be on the deeds? Would there be a way round it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.