Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fishing under the harbour bridge.

Fishing under the harbour bridge.

Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:27 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing under the harbour bridge.

I decided to broaden my fishing area. I'm sure i read somewhere that some people fish around the bridge. Is this true? My friend said something to me about you shouldnt fish in the harbour because of toxins. I thought this was bullshit. Any truth in it? Anyway me and my mate popped over to Milsons Point area for a fish just left of the bridge. We were there for a couple of hours around 3to 5pm yesterday. Caught bugga all. But happy that we werent out shopping with the wives. Anyway. Willing to get back down there after work someday. Since i work in the city and knock off at 3pm i can drive over the bridge and spend a couple hours fishing, So would you recommend it? Will i get lucky there? Is the back of 3 too early? etc etc.Thanks in advance
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing under the harbour bridge.

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I decided to broaden my fishing area. I'm sure i read somewhere that some people fish around the bridge. Is this true? My friend said something to me about you shouldnt fish in the harbour because of toxins. I thought this was bullshit. Any truth in it? Anyway me and my mate popped over to Milsons Point area for a fish just left of the bridge. We were there for a couple of hours around 3to 5pm yesterday. Caught bugga all. But happy that we werent out shopping with the wives. Anyway. Willing to get back down there after work someday. Since i work in the city and knock off at 3pm i can drive over the bridge and spend a couple hours fishing, So would you recommend it? Will i get lucky there? Is the back of 3 too early? etc etc.Thanks in advance
You are advised not to eat fish from Sydney harbour because of the levels of toxins in the water.

G
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

which water is cleaner uk coast or rivers or clear waters of australia. i fished the other day on the avon in uk. got very cold and wet and had one barbel and that was 8 hrs.but i still had a good day.but i do wish i was there doing it . tight lines m8
Dave
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mad.chef
which water is cleaner uk coast or rivers or clear waters of australia. i fished the other day on the avon in uk. got very cold and wet and had one barbel and that was 8 hrs.but i still had a good day.but i do wish i was there doing it . tight lines m8
Dave
I'd fish in Aus rivers any day. However, I wouldn't fish in the harbour. Not clean.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:30 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby went fishing the other week in a mates boat around the Harbour - said it was fantastic! Got a bit peckish so they docked on the beach next to Doyles, had a beer and then hopped back in the boat - gutted I missed it!

Not to sure about eating whatever you catch but he said it was a superb experience!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:43 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Might go away this weekend with the wife to the Entrance for some fishing. I only mentioned it to her. But the wife is keen. I bought a nice new surf rod the other day. Since i got 2 rods now the wife seems to have claimed my first one. But if we fish of a jetty or breakwall or beach them we will be fine. If off a boat. No way with the big rod.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:50 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

You can fish under the bridge. There are always a few older guys at the side of the hotel there with rods (I know nothing about fishing so will call them rods). Sure they could give you all the info you need.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

you can fish in the harbour OK.

.....but the advice is not to eat any of the fish you catch due to high levels of toxins both in the water and in the fish:scared:

G
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

i just cant wait to get out there. is it a good idea to bring all my fishing things or get them out there.how much do these cost for a good set . many thanks
Dave
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by mad.chef
i just cant wait to get out there. is it a good idea to bring all my fishing things or get them out there.how much do these cost for a good set . many thanks
Dave

Good quality fishing gear is expensive in Australia. More expensive than UK.

G
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:30 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Do you know much about "Mercury". Look it up.

Be thankful you didn't catch anything. :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:50 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
you can fish in the harbour OK.

.....but the advice is not to eat any of the fish you catch due to high levels of toxins both in the water and in the fish:scared:

G
I heard that it was ok to eat fish caught east of the bridge, I always see loads of people out on small boats in the morning fishing around the bridge. Whether they eat their catch or not is another matter.

Just watch out for the ferries if you're out on a small boat

http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL/...105220225.html

Graham