British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   fishing tackle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fishing-tackle-394011/)

aston man Aug 31st 2006 10:49 pm

fishing tackle

i bet there is no chance of them letting fishing tackle in is there?
it would be a shame if not got thousands of pounds worth and i would have to sell it for next to nothing :beer:

ianandhelena Aug 31st 2006 11:22 pm

Re: fishing tackle

Originally Posted by aston man
it would be a shame if not got thousands of pounds worth and i would have to sell it for next to nothing :beer:

why don't you ring AQIS and ask them?

DagBoy Aug 31st 2006 11:27 pm

I do not see why they would not allow it - as long as it is clean.

Cheers,

DagBoy

flip Aug 31st 2006 11:28 pm

Is it possible to have it steam cleaned?

northernbird Aug 31st 2006 11:51 pm

my husband brought all his, just made sure it was clean. Although saying that he hasn't used it much.

christinabell Aug 31st 2006 11:56 pm

Id imagine their wouldnt be a problem with most of it, but if ur bringing in lures with real feathers on them it could be. Id be ringing Quarantine and asking them to make sure.

Good luck

rab Sep 1st 2006 4:03 am

Brought in all my fishing tackle with no problem whatsoever.

I just cleaned everything, stripped the reels of line and covered everything in pallet shrink-wrap.

The Bloke Sep 1st 2006 9:03 am

Why use fishing tackle, a stick of dynamite would work just as well.:D

christinabell Sep 1st 2006 9:14 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Why use fishing tackle, a stick of dynamite would work just as well.:D

Makes it too hard to kiss them and throw them back like rex hunt does lol

banjo Sep 1st 2006 9:29 am

my OH took all his.....just cleaned it first (not even steam cleaned). It went through no problems.

4500 Times Sep 1st 2006 9:43 am

As long as its clean, theres no problem.
I too had tons of tackle, but sold most of it for next too nothing....BIG MISTAKE, if ya can bring it with ya....

Rabc Sep 1st 2006 10:21 am

Quite right, no problem as long as its clean of mud and obvious slime. mark the boxes/bags etc with what it is ie Rods, Reels rather than fishing tackle, this might disude the potentially light fingered inspectors. (I had some stuff nicked which lead to a prosecution and full recovery- but not the scumbags job). A couple of things to remember though, fishing here is nothing like the UK and if like me you bought lots of expensive freshwater gear you may well find that you only use a tiny fraction of it. Poles, match rods etc are all of limited use. I use most of my sea stuff and to be honest the quality of tackle in Oz is way behind the technology available in the UK. Don''s sell it for nothing, sell it on ebay, I spent the last 2 months in the UK selling all the gear I didnt think I would need and the proceeds paid for my new 4x4 when we got here!

best of luck

rab Sep 1st 2006 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rabc
A couple of things to remember though, fishing here is nothing like the UK and if like me you bought lots of expensive freshwater gear you may well find that you only use a tiny fraction of it.

Yeah I'm a dick I brought my huge green fishing brolly to SA, which, as you probably know, is the driest state in the driest continent on earth!

Grayling Sep 1st 2006 1:40 pm

A lot of the tackle on sale in Australia is either cheap crap or very expensive :eek:

Most coarse and fly gear can be adapted for Australian fishing (sea or freshwater).

You should not bring nets though (these would probably be conficated anyway).

I intend to take all mine....I have over 50 rods :eek: and would get very little for them seconhand anyway.

G

Wendy Sep 1st 2006 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
A lot of the tackle on sale in Australia is either cheap crap or very expensive :eek:

Most coarse and fly gear can be adapted for Australian fishing (sea or freshwater).

You should not bring nets though (these would probably be conficated anyway).

I intend to take all mine....I have over 50 rods :eek: and would get very little for them seconhand anyway.

G

Where is the best place to go fishing then G ?? In South Australia I mean ;)