Fishing Rod

Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:39 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing Rod

Hellooooooooooooo,

Anyone know if you can take your fishing rod on the plane?

Its a six foot, collapsed into two halves, so 3ft in length. Its just the rod, no holder its just taped together.

I am flying with Singapore Airlines, i like my rod, its a real nice one, flexible but stiff, just wondered would it be seen as a dangerous weapon? You know if you started waving your rod about on the plane................................ someone could get hurt?

Would they put it into storage with the cases, just don't want to get it damaged, you only get one rod and you have to look after it!

Keith!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Rod

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Hellooooooooooooo,

Anyone know if you can take your fishing rod on the plane?

Its a six foot, collapsed into two halves, so 3ft in length. Its just the rod, no holder its just taped together.

I am flying with Singapore Airlines, i like my rod, its a real nice one, flexible but stiff, just wondered would it be seen as a dangerous weapon? You know if you started waving your rod about on the plane................................ someone could get hurt?

Would they put it into storage with the cases, just don't want to get it damaged, you only get one rod and you have to look after it!

Keith!
generally -No. Fishing rods are banned. You should email Singapore air for the only definitive advice that will matter.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can

I have carried fishing rods many times, on several airlines to several different countries...including Singapore.

It is best carried in a rigid strong carry case (you can buy them but a piece of drainpipe will do) and checked in to baggage hold.

Last edited by Grayling; Apr 5th 2010 at 7:34 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We once took a didgeridoo back on the plane but they would only allow it from Aus to Singapore after that it had to go in the hold. However, that was pre-9/11 so I expect you'd have to put it in the hold now.

As the OP said get some drain pipe and seal it up and make sure they put a fragile sticker on it at check-in and then they put it in a different part of the hold. When you get back to the UK you just have to pick it up from the oversized luggage area.

The Dig arrived back okay and............. is now back in Australia!

KK
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly cheers guys, thanks for the help!

Next, koalakim, reckon you should say sorry to the wise one Grayling, calling him an OP (Old Pensioner) he may be old but many a good tune played on an old fiddle!

Oh yeh Grayling, come Thursday night i am going to OD on Pedigree!! Whoop Whoop!!!!!

Keith
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You have to check with the airline.

Since the pillock put the bomb in his pants people are ansty about things. If you get a bad guy on the day wiht the x-ray you will lose it - so write to Sing. The rules change ALL the time. What was ok a year ago, 6mths ago , last week may no longer be the case.

Eg : My daughter had a plastic snake (6" long) taken off her at brisbane airport because the guy thought it was a 'risk to passengers'

If the rod is special and you dont want to leave it at brisbane airport -get it in writing.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Oh yeh Grayling, come Thursday night i am going to OD on Pedigree!! Whoop Whoop!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spalen
You have to check with the airline.

Since the pillock put the bomb in his pants people are ansty about things. If you get a bad guy on the day wiht the x-ray you will lose it - so write to Sing. The rules change ALL the time. What was ok a year ago, 6mths ago , last week may no longer be the case.

Eg : My daughter had a plastic snake (6" long) taken off her at brisbane airport because the guy thought it was a 'risk to passengers'

If the rod is special and you dont want to leave it at brisbane airport -get it in writing.

No need to check with airline. As already stated, put it in a rod holder and check it into the hold. Piece of plastic pipe, some glue and screw on caps costs about $15 from Bunnings. Or hide it/them inside a golf bag as some people do
Bringing it into the cabin obviously would be a non starter with all airlines.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling

Your the bollox, gonna have to meet up for a beer when i get back to this place, would love to listen to some of your tales!!!!!!

Keith
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:58 am
Banned

Well, the rod arrived home in two pieces no problem, went into oversized, no packaging, arrived at Heathrow, not a mark on it, no damage at all, even without any sort of case or protection!

Singapore Airlines, for me, there is no other option, would fly time and time again and again!

Keith