Wikiposts

Fishing anyone?

Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:09 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Fishing is a very big thing for my better half, he has just spent the best part of last week cleaning all his gear ready for the shippers, he looked on the net and found a few clubs near to where we want to live, looks obviously allot different as he is used to the river adur here but is looking forward to a bit of sea fishing, thank goodness, he would have been one sad bloke if he could'nt do his fishing!!!!

Suz
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I went out fishing on a boat 15 kms out the Sydney harbour. It was great seeing dolphins but the 4 hours of sea sickness that followed was a nightmare. I think I will go out on a calmer day next time. One of the group caught a 20kg dolphin fish. It had spectacular colours when it was pulled out and tasted delicious.

Hopefully I might build up a resistance and give ocean fishing another go.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:51 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing anyone?

Originally posted by Ceri
Why do you want a pom club? There are plenty of fishing clubs here and the beauty of them is that they attract people from all walks of life... Brits, Aussies, kiwi's Chinese, Italians etc etc. The club tournaments which I have been in there are plenty of "poms" mixed in there.

I personally feel fishing is a sport, people sharing the same interest. You are in Aus.. why do you want to segregate yourself to a "poms only" fishing club . I've never understood this mentality myself.

There are plenty of Brits that fish here, same as the Aussies. But I don't tend to go around asking if they are a pom?lol. I speak to a person because I want to speak to that person

I'll stick to my multi nationalities clubs. I've just had a 'orrible picture in my mind .. out fishing on the bay and being surrounded by a bunch of English supporters..lol ( just joking)..

Yikes no thanks. I've seen this clubby attitude in Asia where it is really rife.. people sticking to their own kind.. they miss out on so much.

There is no need for a pom fishing club here. Poms usually can be found in the "normal" fishing clubs along with other nationalities who all enjoy the same thing, and that is fishing.

cheers
Ceri
Why the attack???? I was merely talking to petey and in you come with your complete and utter erelevant reply. I do not care that you think it is for all and I should not segregate myself. Why do people like you always have to post such an attack???? I am moving back to Brisbane, a lot of my friends Oz, kiwi, dutch have moved on and it would be nice once I get back to make contacts who will be there once I am back. If you do not understand why birds of a feather stick together then please save your comments.
As for a Pom fishing club..get a grip.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:10 pm
WBB

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We are virgin fishers - basically no friggin idea what we are doing but we'll get there!!

Seems to be very relaxing and soemthing you could get hooked on (ha ha pardon the pun)

Di

lol, you and me both.

but that is the thing with fishing, you can have all the gear and be an expert caster etc etc and the next guy has an old rod and reel and catches more fish.

after all the fish dont know who is on the other end of the rod...do they?

Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
after all the fish dont know who is on the other end of the rod...do they?

Nor do they care

Whoever has the juiciest looking bait in the right spot and the right time will catch the most fish.

Sometimes i hate going with my wife.......i don't quite know whats going on but she ALWAYS catches more than me. I will often catch the biggest, but you can bet your life that she will have more in the bucket/released more than i have.

Bah. Is all i can say to that

Suz.....make sure your man does'nt take any netting.....i don't think AQIS like nets very much, and are very fussy about them. They are cheap to buy out there
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Is there many people on here in Oz who go out fishing? When I go back I will look forward to doing it again and with my sons. I never saw any other Brits out fishing and went every weekend to a popular area. Is there any clubs where there are poms that organise get togethers and have BBQ's and fishing trips? I know it isnt everyones cup of tea but I love it.
Im a mad keen Angler.. I mainly fish coarse fishing style, which i believe is not too popular in Oz, yet. There is a few clubs (coarse fishing) around Perth, Sydney, SA. But none that i know of around Brisbane area, im keen to have a good luck around at the river and some lakes when i get to Brisbane next year..

Im taking all my tackle.. (No jokes.lol) I cant wait to see oz anglers faces when i fishing along side them with a 16m pole..
I refuse to sell the gear, just in case i come across a cracking spot for catching carp, or other fish that will take sweetcorn and meat etc...

I havent got a clue about the oz species yet, but i cant wait to try sea fishing to catch something i can chuck on the bbq, and im willing to learn from the locals and join in.

Anyone have any experience in coarse fishing in Oz? around Brisbane maybe? and why didnt oz put a team in for the world champs in Hungry? China did...lol.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:45 pm
WBB

Originally posted by itsasecret
Im a mad keen Angler.. I mainly fish coarse fishing style, which i believe is not too popular in Oz, yet. There is a few clubs (coarse fishing) around Perth, Sydney, SA. But none that i know of around Brisbane area, im keen to have a good luck around at the river and some lakes when i get to Brisbane next year..

Im taking all my tackle.. (No jokes.lol) I cant wait to see oz anglers faces when i fishing along side them with a 16m pole..
I refuse to sell the gear, just in case i come across a cracking spot for catching carp, or other fish that will take sweetcorn and meat etc...

I havent got a clue about the oz species yet, but i cant wait to try sea fishing to catch something i can chuck on the bbq, and im willing to learn from the locals and join in.

Anyone have any experience in coarse fishing in Oz? around Brisbane maybe? and why didnt oz put a team in for the world champs in Hungry? China did...lol.
16 metres!!!!!

jesus christ what do you do with that?????

Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
16 metres!!!!!

jesus christ what do you do with that?????
16metres of hightech carbon fibre, gets a little heavy at 16m but can easily be fished at 14.5m all day.

Cost.. £1000.. (Some cost upto £3000!!)
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

You know that if you catch carp you are not allowed to put em back.... Its illegal!

You have to just chuck em up on the bank and take them home for garden fertiliser, bait for your next trip or similar. Its understandable.....they have caused alot of problems out there, and are reputed to be one of the main factors in the decline of the Murray cod. I still don't fancy going fishing and having to bring home a hundred pound of dead, useless carp.....so im not going going to fish for them!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PeteY
You know that if you catch carp you are not allowed to put em back.... Its illegal!

You have to just chuck em up on the bank and take them home for garden fertiliser, bait for your next trip or similar. Its understandable.....they have caused alot of problems out there, and are reputed to be one of the main factors in the decline of the Murray cod. I still don't fancy going fishing and having to bring home a hundred pound of dead, useless carp.....so im not going going to fish for them!

yer, i know the problems they have from carp. Everyone has to live with it and keep to the rules.. Its an argument that has been going on for too long so i wont go into it. I used to hate Carp, but now love them (no we dont eat them) I cant see me killing 100lb of carp either.. we take great care of this species in the UK as you know. and to change my perception of this fish is going to be very hard indeed.

Do you know another species around Brisbane, that fits the bill of a coarse fish and in perticular ones that are "none predatory?" that i could aim for instead?
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

yer, i know the problems they have from carp. Everyone has to live with it and keep to the rules.. Its an argument that has been going on for too long so i wont go into it. I used to hate Carp, but now love them (no we dont eat them) I cant see me killing 100lb of carp either.. we take great care of this species in the UK as you know. and to change my perception of this fish is going to be very hard indeed.

Do you know another species around Brisbane, that fits the bill of a coarse fish and in perticular ones that are "none predatory?" that i could aim for instead?
itsasecret, where exactly are you planning on coarse fishing?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
itsasecret, where exactly are you planning on coarse fishing?

Hi,

Like i said i dont know much about the oz species around Brisbane, my question is :- what species around Brisbane are none predatory.?

Coarse fishing in oz is not very popular and are mainly run by expats. There is a national team and they have fished in the world champs before, its a different style to fresh water fishing and is aimed at "match fishing methods", there is teams based around oz, but none that i know of in and around Brisbane? this maybe because of the species that are available in and around Brisbane, but now too sure..
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:05 am
A Male Member

Hmmm, i am afraid it will be pretty difficult....

There are lots of dams stocked with bass....and they often have natives in too. In freshwater you could try for mouth-almighty, and maybe sotty grunter. You could also take a whip out and some bread and maybe go for a few mullet etc. There are the baitfish too, hardiheads and the like, but they (along with the mullet) are saltwater fish. Up north there are Archerfish (north of Mackay really), and down south you have Perch, Roach and Tench....but not much around Bris to my knowledge.

My advice? Put your pole into storage and try out for the bounty of other species with a heavier bait rod, and a lure kit. There is plenty of great fishing around, from Bass and Saratoga in the fresh, to Snapper and Whiting in the salt.

Try...

www.fishnet.com.au
www.sportfish.com.au
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:06 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

You can fish in most freshwater rivers and tidal waters. I do not think you would see many anglers fishing the rivers - most will be in the tidal parts - hoping to catch something that is good eating.

Your best bet would probably be the stocked impoundments or Dams (that is a lake/reservoir to a Pom, because, of course, we know that a dam is the wall that holds the water in).

You need a licence to fish these here in Qld - useful info is here and the related pages.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PeteY
Hmmm, i am afraid it will be pretty difficult....

There are lots of dams stocked with bass....and they often have natives in too. In freshwater you could try for mouth-almighty, and maybe sotty grunter. You could also take a whip out and some bread and maybe go for a few mullet etc. There are the baitfish too, hardiheads and the like, but they (along with the mullet) are saltwater fish. Up north there are Archerfish (north of Mackay really), and down south you have Perch, Roach and Tench....but not much around Bris to my knowledge.

My advice? Put your pole into storage and try out for the bounty of other species with a heavier bait rod, and a lure kit. There is plenty of great fishing around, from Bass and Saratoga in the fresh, to Snapper and Whiting in the salt.

Try...

www.fishnet.com.au
www.sportfish.com.au

oh my god how will i cope? i may have to change locations? maybe to SA.. (only joking.) this means I will have to buy new tackle... and try some spinning/lure fishing. Im looking forward to trying this style of fishing so it would be good to meet up when i get out there (back end of next year.)... would love to have my own boat too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.