Fish

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I put the fact that I'm posting in this thread down to being bored out me 'ead at work ...

Anyway, smoked fish. It's an ongoing source of woe for me ... I can find smoked trout and imported (from South Africa) smoked cod (which is truly bloody awful). In the UK, I loved smoked haddock. Is there anything similar here? And where might I find it in Sydney (the fish market doesn't seem to have anything)?

GG
We used to have smoked haddock for breakfast occasionally when I was a kid - pretty sure that my mum used to just buy it from Coles?

Are we talking the same thing - large flaked fish which when its smoked is a yellowy/orange colour?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:43 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It's yellow if it's been dyed (otherwise white) and, yes, a large flakey fish. Similar to cod (in the UK sense!), but great smoked. If it's proper, it comes from Scotland and is called Finnan haddock - delicious! Just can't find anything similar over here, other than imported cod from South Africa, which tastes awful.

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We used to have smoked haddock for breakfast occasionally when I was a kid - pretty sure that my mum used to just buy it from Coles?

Are we talking the same thing - large flaked fish which when its smoked is a yellowy/orange colour?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

It's yellow if it's been dyed (otherwise white) and, yes, a large flakey fish. Similar to cod (in the UK sense!), but great smoked. If it's proper, it comes from Scotland and is called Finnan haddock - delicious! Just can't find anything similar over here, other than imported cod from South Africa, which tastes awful.
you're going to have to scour all supermarket outlets - you can get smoked haddock here in vacuum sealed packs - sometimes frozen in the main supermarkets here ( Coles and woolworths), and it's from the UK. I haven't seen any for a while now ( maybe due to recent importation laws? I don't know. But I haven't seen it for a while come to think about it. Or perhaps not much of a call for it) .

smoked cod here from S.africa , depends on the stock - a lot if it of it tastes terrible - tough and too salty. It's hit and miss here with this fish. I've bought some lovely tasting ones ( and tastes like the Uk ones) other times it's gone straight in the bin.

cheers
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
Went food shopping tonight and noticed how expensive whiting has become. At woolies it was $36 a kilo.
OMG! When they were in season, we could always get the local whitings for about $15-20/kilo. The best ones are the King George whitings from SA/Vic and very often we have to pay over $25/kilo at the fish monger. Speaking of which I haven't had whitings in a while... Gotta visit the fish place on the weekend.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:55 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is the imported cod smoked as well?

It certainly sounds like what I used to have as a kid, was definitely called smoked haddock anyway, I'll have a look next time I am shopping, but Im sure you can get it in Coles & maybe Woolworths in the deli/fish section.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get Bombay Duck either. Thank God:

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, Ceri! I'll definitely check out Coles' frozen section and keep an eye out for anything vacuum packed in the deli/fish section. Thanks to Mrs Db for your help too!

Originally Posted by Ceri
you're going to have to scour all supermarket outlets - you can get smoked haddock here in vacuum sealed packs - sometimes frozen in the main supermarkets here ( Coles and woolworths), and it's from the UK. I haven't seen any for a while now ( maybe due to recent importation laws? I don't know. But I haven't seen it for a while come to think about it. Or perhaps not much of a call for it) .

smoked cod here from S.africa , depends on the stock - a lot if it of it tastes terrible - tough and too salty. It's hit and miss here with this fish. I've bought some lovely tasting ones ( and tastes like the Uk ones) other times it's gone straight in the bin.

cheers
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
OMG! When they were in season, we could always get the local whitings for about $15-20/kilo. The best ones are the King George whitings from SA/Vic and very often we have to pay over $25/kilo at the fish monger. Speaking of which I haven't had whitings in a while... Gotta visit the fish place on the weekend.

Mrs JTL
you'll get the local whiting here ( non king George) in Brisbane all year round in the fish markets, and bigger outlets of fresh fish shops - try deadcliffe ( Morgans seafood) if you can't find any shop near you which sells them - which is surprising as most big fresh fish shops sell whiting all year round, they are never really out of season either species ,there is summer and winter whiting here in SEQ
Winter species being the smallest species and in greater numbers during the winter.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 27th 2005 at 2:07 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:03 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

On the chippy theme does anybody know a chippy in Brissie that does mushy peas and gravy? I'm afraid for it to be proper fish and chips in my eyes it at least needs mushy peas.

I think an expat should open a chippy that does the above! any takers?

Homer moment mmmmmmmm......fish, chips, mushy peas and gravy sandwich.

TT
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
On the chippy theme does anybody know a chippy in Brissie that does mushy peas and gravy? I'm afraid for it to be proper fish and chips in my eyes it at least needs mushy peas.

TT
Never seen one yet - but they DO all have vinegar despite what some people will try to tell you!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:15 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Never seen one yet - but they DO all have vinegar despite what some people will try to tell you!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

TT
nope - but you can buy British tinned mushy peas in bilo for around $2 something - can't remember the price, but it's pretty cheap ( curry aisle, or international aisle whatever you want to call it , bought a tin of it months ago for hubby which he hasn't eaten yet- don't like mushy peas myself ) Bachelors brand I think - I can't remember - I'm not at home to look ( but it's definitely imported from the UK)
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

TT

Been here - Cairns - for over 9 months, tried numerous Fish and Chips, haven't found any that come up to the UK standard of glorius COD and CHIPS!So given up - boy do I miss the Saturday visit after work to our local Fish and Chippy Mouth watering stuff!! And of course, nothing quite like chip shop mushy peas is there

We do sell TINS of mushy peas in our British Lolly (sweet to us brits) Shop!

I really miss COD, the REAL stuff! If/when we go back to the UK for a visit, I know where I'll be heading - Cod, Chips and Mushy peas please, cheers m8!!!

Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

TT
Has tha nowt moist?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:33 am
Go the BNE Roar

Thats right fish and chips needs something moist with it.

Always made me laugh that in Huddersfield they were called 'peas wet' only in yorkshire eh!!!!

Originally Posted by wmoore
Has tha nowt moist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.