Fish

Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:09 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fish

Following on from the food questions, can someone tell me what fish are generally eaten in Australia? Here in the UK it's cod, plaice, haddock, trout, herrings, etc., but what do Ozzies eat in the fish stakes?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Fish

Have a look at this website for an idea of the many different types of fish eaten here: http://www.chsmith.com.au/fish-prices/melbourne.html

Barramundi is pretty popular.

I still stick to Cod, but my wife eats various weird looking fish, with heads on !!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:27 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Following on from the food questions, can someone tell me what fish are generally eaten in Australia? Here in the UK it's cod, plaice, haddock, trout, herrings, etc., but what do Ozzies eat in the fish stakes?
I had snapper and chips earlier and despire Eatstatic's "all Aussie fish and chips are crap", it was bloody lovely
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:40 pm
ABCDiamond

A couple of examples from the local supermarkets weekly leaflet:

Basa Fillets $9kg
DeepSea Cod Fillets $11kg
Barramundi Fillets $13kg
Nile Perch Fillets $8kg
Rainbow Trout Fillets $18kg
King Prawns $20kg
Tiger Prawns $12kg

My wife would say all these are expensive, as she buys at a fish market, and not the supermarket.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:19 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A couple of examples from the local supermarkets weekly leaflet:

Basa Fillets $9kg
DeepSea Cod Fillets $11kg
Barramundi Fillets $13kg
Nile Perch Fillets $8kg
Rainbow Trout Fillets $18kg
King Prawns $20kg
Tiger Prawns $12kg

My wife would say all these are expensive, as she buys at a fish market, and not the supermarket.
Depends where you are....Aus is so large that different fish are eaten on each coast!

Here in SE SA, the following are offered most of the time...

Whiting - like cod or haddock

Butterfish - whatever the fish shop has cheap at the time, usually hake or mulloway

Snapper

Bream

Perch - Nile perch, farmed, frozen and "thawed for your convenience"

Flake - Shark of some description.

You can also get trout most of the time, but its farmed and not nice.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
Perch - Nile perch, farmed, frozen and "thawed for your convenience"
That'll be so you can't sue them for dental costs.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:22 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like a bit of flake and salt baked barramundi is nice
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:24 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fraser
I quite like a bit of flake and salt baked barramundi is nice
Sorry to go off thread, but did you ever get a resolution with NTL Fraser?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:26 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Sorry to go off thread, but did you ever get a resolution with NTL Fraser?
Yep I decided to **** them off
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:28 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fraser
Yep I decided to **** them off
Yayhay That's what I like to hear!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:29 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have a look at this website for an idea of the many different types of fish eaten here: http://www.chsmith.com.au/fish-prices/melbourne.html

Barramundi is pretty popular.

I still stick to Cod, but my wife eats various weird looking fish, with heads on !!
Can you get cod over there, as someone told me you can't....please say you can ....
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:30 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Can you get cod over there, as someone told me you can't....please say you can ....
You can.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:32 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
You can.
Yippee!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
But there are loads of others to try, enjoy trying them all out.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:37 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Went food shopping tonight and noticed how expensive whiting has become. At woolies it was $36 a kilo.

We got snapper which was $19.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.