Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First two months in Oz

First two months in Oz

Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default First two months in Oz

We (wife, 3 kids aged 9,12 and 15 and I) emigrated to Australia 2 months ago and I thought I'd take the liberty to express my thoughts at this moment in time.
It's been a hectic few weeks with not much time to pause to reflect on things.
We got a rental home and the kids into school all within the first 2 weeks. We bought a car in the 3rd week after initially renting a car. Once we got the kids into school I started job hunting and managed to secure casual work as an electrical trade assistant. Work is very hard and pay does not reflect the cost of living or the fact that electricians are in short supply. Due to the lack of electricians the company I work for just don't have enough sparks so we all rush around trying to fulfill all the customers requirements.
We brought just a few thousand pounds worth of travellers cheques most of which are now spent or converted into dollars and sat in our newly opened bank account. We applied for 2 UK credit cards before we left the UK and they have proved useful for buying all our new stuff out here. Its just a bit painful knowing the exchange rate is poor.
We have cleared a lot of hurdles like Medicare card, tax file number, buying mobile phones, passing our multi choice driving exam and getting our driving licence, opening a bank account, getting Internet access (but can't get broadband yet). I've also been awarded my Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC), taken the mandatory Resuscitation training course and have since submitted the certificates to apply for my electrical licence. I then have to wait for the licencing authority to tell me what training I need to undergo before I can be awarded an electrical licence. So some months down the line I should be able to go and start working as an electrician - something I have done for 24 years. This is the first time since I completed my apprenticeship 20 years ago, that I am not allowed to work unsupervised. I wouldn't say I was angry about it, more frustrated.
We have had rain on about half of the days we have been here and as its quite cool here it almost feels like being in the UK.
Supermarket shopping is getting slightly easier now as we are starting to know what products we consider to be edible.
All in all, getting a job only 6 weeks after getting here is pretty good going. The kids have settled in well at school and have made quite a few friends already. The area we live in is pretty with plenty to do, good shopping, great beaches, good cinemas, tourist attractions, beautiful countryside(or should that be bush). Last night I went out for several beers with 3 of the guys in our street, but spent most of the evening wondering what the hell they were talking about. Australians may speak English but if you don't know the names of Aussie celebs or sports people you're not in on the conversation or the joke. I actually saw 2 wild Kangaroos bounding down the side of the road today, the first wild Kangaroos I've ever seen. The wild life is fantastic here, particularly the bird life. Pelicans, Lorikeets, Kookaburras abound and it makes the days much more different than back in ole Blighty.
I am at a point now where I'm not sure how I feel about the whole life changing thing. Its probably down to everything being strange and the hard financial facts of living off of an Australian wage.

One thing that takes a while is knowing where to go to buy the things you need. In the UK you just know where you are going to pay through the nose or get a good deal. You also have a pretty good idea of what every shop sells but once out here you have to start again. Some shops are similar - Bunnings is just like a B&Q Depot. Supermarkets are similar but the products are different. We have seen a lot of good quality furniture at very reasonable prices. Lots of good solid wood pieces of furniture that are as cheap as self assembly junk in the UK. I'm actually glad we held off buying furniture for a couple of years before leaving the UK. I think we have bought better gear for the money here than we would have got in the UK.
Electrical goods really are expensive here though. They are at least as expensive as in the UK if not more in some cases. We did discover very quickly that you should always ask for a deal even if buying only one item. Don't be shy to ask, they expect it. If they can do you a better price they will, if its already been reduced then unless you are very persuasive you will find it hard to get the price reduced. Shopping when you first get here is very time consuming, it really takes up far too much time. Even the shopaholic wife got cheesed off with it. I just wanted to die. One of the main reasons it takes up so much time is trying to shut up salespeople that like the sound of their own voice. Also some of them cotton on to the fact that you have just emigrated here and then chew the hind legs off a donkey which is actually nice but just eats into your day. One day when we were buying our car, the saleswoman just wouldn't let us go even though we were telling her we should have picked our son up from school 5 minutes ago. She wasn't trying to push a sale, she just wanted to give us loads of advice.
This has got far too long so I'll wrap up here. It doesn't feel bad and it doesn't feel great, just really strange. Thank god we moved to an English speaking country. Respect to those that do.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First two months in Oz

Nice honest post. Thanks for that. The first few months must be wierd - settling in, experiencing so much, brain must go into meltdown.

Keep giving us your thoughts.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by migrantoz
We (wife, 3 kids aged 9,12 and 15 and I) emigrated to Australia 2 months ago and I thought I'd take the liberty to express my thoughts at this moment in time.
We got a rental home and the kids into school all within the first 2 weeks. We bought a car in the 3rd week after initially renting a car. Once we got the kids into school I started job hunting and managed to secure casual work as an electrical trade assistant. Work is very hard and pay does not reflect the cost of living or the fact that electricians are in short supply. Due to the lack of electricians the company I work for just don't have enough sparks so we all rush around trying to fulfill all the customers requirements.
We brought just a few thousand pounds worth of travellers cheques most of which are now spent or converted into dollars and sat in our newly opened bank account. We applied for 2 UK credit cards before we left the UK and they have proved useful for buying all our new stuff out here. Its just a bit painful knowing the exchange rate is poor.
We have cleared a lot of hurdles like Medicare card, tax file number, buying mobile phones, passing our multi choice driving exam and getting our driving licence, opening a bank account, getting Internet access (but can't get broadband yet). I've also been awarded my Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC), taken the mandatory Resuscitation training course and have since submitted the certificates to apply for my electrical licence. I then have to wait for the licencing authority to tell me what training I need to undergo before I can be awarded an electrical licence. So some months down the line I should be able to go and start working as an electrician - something I have done for 24 years. This is the first time since I completed my apprenticeship 20 years ago, that I am not allowed to work unsupervised. I wouldn't say I was angry about it, more frustrated.
We have had rain on about half of the days we have been here and as its quite cool here it almost feels like being in the UK.
Supermarket shopping is getting slightly easier now as we are starting to know what products we consider to be edible.
All in all, getting a job only 6 weeks after getting here is pretty good going. The kids have settled in well at school and have made quite a few friends already. The area we live in is pretty with plenty to do, good shopping, great beaches, good cinemas, tourist attractions, beautiful countryside(or should that be bush). Last night I went out for several beers with 3 of the guys in our street, but spent most of the evening wondering what the hell they were talking about. Australians may speak English but if you don't know the names of Aussie celebs or sports people you're not in on the conversation or the joke. I actually saw 2 wild Kangaroos bounding down the side of the road today, the first wild Kangaroos I've ever seen. The wild life is fantastic here, particularly the bird life. Pelicans, Lorikeets, Kookaburras abound and it makes the days much more different than back in ole Blighty.
I am at a point now where I'm not sure how I feel about the whole life changing thing. Its probably down to everything being strange and the hard financial facts of living off of an Australian wage.

One thing that takes a while is knowing where to go to buy the things you need. In the UK you just know where you are going to pay through the nose or get a good deal. You also have a pretty good idea of what every shop sells but once out here you have to start again. Some shops are similar - Bunnings is just like a B&Q Depot. Supermarkets are similar but the products are different. We have seen a lot of good quality furniture at very reasonable prices. Lots of good solid wood pieces of furniture that are as cheap as self assembly junk in the UK. I'm actually glad we held off buying furniture for a couple of years before leaving the UK. I think we have bought better gear for the money here than we would have got in the UK.
Electrical goods really are expensive here though. They are at least as expensive as in the UK if not more in some cases. We did discover very quickly that you should always ask for a deal even if buying only one item. Don't be shy to ask, they expect it. If they can do you a better price they will, if its already been reduced then unless you are very persuasive you will find it hard to get the price reduced. Shopping when you first get here is very time consuming, it really takes up far too much time. Even the shopaholic wife got cheesed off with it. I just wanted to die. One of the main reasons it takes up so much time is trying to shut up salespeople that like the sound of their own voice. Also some of them cotton on to the fact that you have just emigrated here and then chew the hind legs off a donkey which is actually nice but just eats into your day. One day when we were buying our car, the saleswoman just wouldn't let us go even though we were telling her we should have picked our son up from school 5 minutes ago. She wasn't trying to push a sale, she just wanted to give us loads of advice.
This has got far too long so I'll wrap up here. It doesn't feel bad and it doesn't feel great, just really strange. Thank god we moved to an English speaking country. Respect to those that do.
good post,cause we don't really know how things will be but good insights like this is good, the more the better. rangersman
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Reading your post makes me feel just how lucky we are going to be when we first move to Melbourne. My sister-in-law lives there and insisted we live with her until we get ourselves a job/car/schools, etc. It is a huge relief to know that we will have that support. when we went out in december, it was brilliant to have her to tell us where to shop and where not to shop. She has pretty much done the leg work for us and it is a great thing.

It was a good honest post, good luck with it all.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:25 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't help with the job or the salary specifics but from previous experience of migrating, life will get better.

One way that helped us was to refuse to make comparisons with the UK - just completely immerse yourself and (I know this won't be possible with the salary) just kind of enjoy the differences.

You might not be there forever, if you keep this in mind it might help.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:04 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Many thanks for this info. It's kind of how we're expecting to feel if/when we arrive.
Hopefully those more negative feelings will disappear in time. I'm sure you have made the right decision.
Good Luck!
Julie
Old Jun 25th 2005, 12:34 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. Nice to see a balanced view of life in Oz.

All the best
Claire
Old Jun 25th 2005, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your honest post, We really do need to hear of your experiences.

My family (sons aged 6,11 and 13) are also hoping to settle on the Sunshine Coast later this year. Can you tell me exactly where you are living and what schools your children have started.

We are planning to move to Buderim and wondered how easy it was to find rental accomadation in the Mountain Creek High School catchment area.

Any information would be glady received or any further advice or tips you may have about what to bring etc etc.

Thanks for your help

Sheila
Old Jun 25th 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the post. I can completely sympathise with you. We moved to France 4 years ago with a baby. I couldn't speak French and was extremely homesick. Nothing in the supermarket looked familiar (what washing powder do I get? what's the name for washing powder in French ) It takes a good 6 months to feel settled and now 4 years down the line I know all the shops and know where to get a bargain. I'm sure you will soon pick up the lingo Also, once you're settled and are familiar with everything things will fall in place.

Take care
Marina
Old Jun 25th 2005, 7:13 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read your post, sounds like things are working out ok. Thanks for the little tips re: furniture. We were actually thinking of buying a new dining table and chairs, but I think I will wait. Was going to wait to buy a new washer, but think I will do that tomorrow (mine only spins when it wants to).

Other thing was I noticed your children as exactly the same ages as mine are 9, 12 and 15. I just wondered if they had settled in ok and were they enthusiatic about going. Mine all say they really want to go and I believe them cos they loved it when we have visited, but I'm not sure that the youngest gets the idea that we won't be coming back. I Hope you don't mind me asking

Shirley
Old Jun 25th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

lizasi is an unknown quantity at this point

great post to read. nice to hear what its really like,sounds like you are all getting on really well. just hope it goes like that for us but who knows got to get through the paper work 1st.....
good luck......
Old Jun 25th 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Great post.

Really nice to hear from folk that have just arrived and to listen to how thing's are going, we've got our visa and are just waiting for the sale of our house before we move to the sunshine coast ourself asap. we've got two kids 5 and 13yrs.

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here since January and shopping is now so much easier. Like you, it took forever at first. Some things are bound to be more expensive as it is all down to supply and demand, but I would rather pay slightly more and live in a country with a population of 20million than pay less and live with 60million others.
I bought all our things here and managed to get a washing machine for $599 which is way cheaper than in UK. There are bargains to be had but you have to shop around.
We have yet to do the whole medicare thing as we are on temp visas till later this week. So I had better start swotting up for the driving multiplechoice test.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you remember a lot more about your first two months in Australia, than I do. Although I was grateful that they spoke English too.

Also, the milk was free
Old Jun 26th 2005, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

nibblo will become famous soon enoughnibblo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for such an honest post
We can completely sympathise with you (although we are in Perth), we have been here for 3 months now and I can honestly say i'm neither hating it or loving it. Luckily I found work straight away (dental nurse) and am working with some nice people - have to agree about not knowing what they are on about with some conversations - but they are nice enough.
My husband however has had trouble finding work - he is a chef and we were expecting to have loads of work available (being on the demand list ) - he has applied for quite a few jobs- in a lot of cases nobody even bothers to get back to you - which we find really rude - and the ones he was offered have just come with an insulting salary after 18 years in the trade (45+ hours a week for $35k!!).
He has only just got a full time job at a hospital - although it is called casual work - but has been offered at least 35 hours a week - its all to do with employers not having to give you holiday entitlements if they employ casual staff - I think - something else we need to find out about!!
We have suffered from homesickness a bit - but I think if you have alot of time on your hands you have more time to think - we are going to try and join some sort of club to get ourselves into the community.
I would have to sum it up that we are glad we had the courage to try something new - and we are going to give ourselves a couple of years to settle in and then see how we feel.
Good luck with your new adventure and to all those still in the process
Nibblo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.