Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip to Dentist

Wikiposts

First trip to Dentist

Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default First trip to Dentist

Yesterday I went to my long put off trip to the dentist.

Now my teeth are shocking I'm sad to say (too many "lollies" as a kid & not enough Colgate) but I have always been a good girl and suffered the consequences of this with 6 monthly trips to the house of horrors.

Anyway I got recommended this dentist cos he was supposed to be good with kids so off me & little guy goes with the promise of a toy for little guy for being brave on his first visit (getting more expensive by the minute). I goes on the chair first and he says, well lets have a good look around and see what we can find to do (bad start) after a couple of xrays he hits me with the fact that my crowns (3 of them) are crap and not fitted properly and would all have to be redone or else I'll die (slight exaggeration there). He was slagging off the NHS dental system something cronic and making sarky comments about my "metal" fillings
After 40 minutes in "the chair" it was Wills turn but he had other ideas and tried to leg it!! Got him to lay on top of me on "the Chair" and the mad dentist from Joonalup about wets his pants and exclaims "ooohhhh this little fella will need an orthodontist when he's older - have you got a medical plan!!!"""

So I coughs up $155 for our check up and xrays and have a treatment plan amounting to $1150. I'm not covered till next June for my crown but according to him I'll be dead by then so who cares!!

I found the whole experience to be like an American Dental Sitcom, why were my crowns good enough in the Uk but not here
and to top it all they didn't even give littlie a sticker!!!

Would dentures be cheaper???
Di
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:46 pm
owieb

Default Re: First trip to Dentist

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I goes on the chair first and he says, well lets have a good look around and see what we can find to do (bad start) after a couple of xrays he hits me with the fact that my crowns (3 of them) are crap and not fitted properly and would all have to be redone or else I'll die (slight exaggeration there). He was slagging off the NHS dental system something cronic and making sarky comments about my "metal" fillings

I found the whole experience to be like an American Dental Sitcom, why were my crowns good enough in the Uk but not here
When I had my medical done in Perth I was told by the examining doctor that I had 'pommie teeth' in that I had loads of fillings that weren't very good!

And when she did the 'cup and cough' test she told me I had 'British Balls'! I haven't got a clue what that is supposed to mean!

Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

And when she did the 'cup and cough' test she told me I had 'British Balls'! I haven't got a clue what that is supposed to mean! -

---------------------------------

Sounds like something you'd serve on a plate with Ceris grubs!
:scared:
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Yesterday I went to my long put off trip to the dentist.

Now my teeth are shocking I'm sad to say (too many "lollies" as a kid & not enough Colgate) but I have always been a good girl and suffered the consequences of this with 6 monthly trips to the house of horrors.

Anyway I got recommended this dentist cos he was supposed to be good with kids so off me & little guy goes with the promise of a toy for little guy for being brave on his first visit (getting more expensive by the minute). I goes on the chair first and he says, well lets have a good look around and see what we can find to do (bad start) after a couple of xrays he hits me with the fact that my crowns (3 of them) are crap and not fitted properly and would all have to be redone or else I'll die (slight exaggeration there). He was slagging off the NHS dental system something cronic and making sarky comments about my "metal" fillings
After 40 minutes in "the chair" it was Wills turn but he had other ideas and tried to leg it!! Got him to lay on top of me on "the Chair" and the mad dentist from Joonalup about wets his pants and exclaims "ooohhhh this little fella will need an orthodontist when he's older - have you got a medical plan!!!"""

So I coughs up $155 for our check up and xrays and have a treatment plan amounting to $1150. I'm not covered till next June for my crown but according to him I'll be dead by then so who cares!!

Would dentures be cheaper???
Di
Oh you poor thing!!!

I had a tooth out a few months ago and I needed to go back and have the other out, I delayed it and still need it out!!!

I wonder if they are just saying that about your teeth?
I took our daughter to the dentist and the first thing they said is that she would need to see an 'Orthadontist' I thought this was strange as she only has two bottom gown up teeth, the rest are milk teeth!!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know - William hasn't got any big teeth yet!!! Something to do with his "bite" they reckoned.

Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Oh you poor thing!!!

I had a tooth out a few months ago and I needed to go back and have the other out, I delayed it and still need it out!!!

I wonder if they are just saying that about your teeth?
I took our daughter to the dentist and the first thing they said is that she would need to see an 'Orthadontist' I thought this was strange as she only has two bottom gown up teeth, the rest are milk teeth!!
My boy has to have a crown and a few fillings. He has to have it at the hospital unger anaesthetic as he has a phobia about dentists. It will cost $3,500.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh my God, my bill fades into insignificance!! I hope he does okay, a bloke at work has to have a similar thing with his daughter and that's costing a few thousand too.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:57 pm
owieb

Originally posted by renth
My boy has to have a crown and a few fillings. He has to have it at the hospital unger anaesthetic as he has a phobia about dentists. It will cost $3,500.
I've got to have a tooth taken out which is only costing $350, but then the dentist produced a menu of options for what I can do to fill the gap.

The cheapest was a bridge starting at about $3,500 going up to these "great new titanium screw in teeth" which cost about $5,500! :scared:

In the end I decided to leave the busted tooth in my mouth and wait for it to fall out on it's own as I can't afford to have anything done if it is taken out now. It's still going strong after 10 months so the UK dentist must have done a good route canal filling!

Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
I've got to have a tooth taken out which is only costing $350, but then the dentist produced a menu of options for what I can do to fill the gap.

The cheapest was a bridge starting at about $3,500 going up to these "great new titanium screw in teeth" which cost about $5,500! :scared:

In the end I decided to leave the busted tooth in my mouth and wait for it to fall out on it's own as I can't afford to have anything done if it is taken out now. It's still going strong after 10 months so the UK dentist must have done a good route canal filling!
There is a lot to be said for waiting for a trip back to the UK to get the teeth sorted out.

I wonder, would our old NHS dentist be able to find out that we don't actually live in the UK anymore? Would it matter?

I guess the sun tans and the kid's Aussie accents might be a giveaway!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:45 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Cheaper to fly back once ayear i reckon even for 4 people by the sound of things, i think i will use my relatives address when i sell up & get the MIL to make our appointments. Pain either way
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I was afraid of this, and it seems that my fears are confirmed. I'm happier with the British system where my dentist doesn't notice I need crowns, and I don't notice I need crowns. I reckon my teeth will suddenly turn to chalk the instant I set foot in an Aussie dentist's office. Seeing as there is little NHS dental cover any more in the UK, why the huge difference in cost and expectation in Au and the US? their teeth aren't THAT much better on the whole!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:03 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by CHnJ
I was afraid of this, and it seems that my fears are confirmed. I'm happier with the British system where my dentist doesn't notice I need crowns, and I don't notice I need crowns. I reckon my teeth will suddenly turn to chalk the instant I set foot in an Aussie dentist's office. Seeing as there is little NHS dental cover any more in the UK, why the huge difference in cost and expectation in Au and the US? their teeth aren't THAT much better on the whole!
The best thing to do is get the top level of "extras" cover with your private health policy.

We've got the bells and whistles policy with Medibank Private but I reckon they won't pay out for this because they will deem it pre-existing as we've only been in the scheme 6 months.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:06 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

is there a dentist in the house?

we need some technical information on all this....

I trust dentists as much as I trust mechanics. who's to say they're not just making it up to get a nice big fat payday....
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:41 pm
owieb

Originally posted by renth
The best thing to do is get the top level of "extras" cover with your private health policy.

We've got the bells and whistles policy with Medibank Private but I reckon they won't pay out for this because they will deem it pre-existing as we've only been in the scheme 6 months.
That was our plan to do it on the private health policy, but because we are on a temp visa the cost for two of us on the top level "extras" cover was a staggering $450 per month so we didn't bother.

Once we get permanent residency it drops to about $170 a month. But even then we have to wait 12 months before we can have any major dental work done. Think I'll be sucking through a straw by then!

Old Nov 11th 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Whilst you lot over there moan about the cost of it, and i dont blame you, i will moan myself once i've had to go, let me fill you in on the state of dentistry in the uk.

We only moved here a few months back and havent registered with a dentist, so a couple of weeks back i got an infection in one of my crowns (a crap nhs one like di's) nobody would see me because a/ i wasnt registered and none of the dentists in a 30 mile radius of us is taking on new patients and b/i'm pregnant so no dentist will treat me anyway. So we move swiftly on to my 75 year old mother who still has most of her own teeth, her dentist retired leaving his patients to find alternative dentists, a week later my mother finds a lump in her gum, she calls every dentist in aberdeen and the surrounding area and the earliest she can be seen is the 20th of februaury. Here's hoping its not cancerous!

This wasnt just nhs dentists but private blood suckers too, obviously they have all moved to oz for the big bucks, perhaps we should all invest in a good pair of pliers and a liquidiser.

Lynn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.