Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Thanks for this thread guys!
The excitement of applying for the visa has now gone as nothing to do now, all paperwork and medicals done. Bring on the BIG wait!!!!:curse:
I'm having serious wobbles as my life at home is not that bad and we are not running from anything but in the same breath its not all that exciting either!
Reading this site has put a few doubts in my mind about buying a house, wages and homesickness but being by the beach with no money is still more of a life than sitting at home with a bit of money looking at the rain!!!
This thread has given me renewed faith that all will be ok (i hope).
So thanks again for putting my mind at rest that this feeling is very normal as i do love my family and friends very much and i havent even gone yet!
Told our family that we have applied for a visa to oz and they said "good dont blame you, get my grandchildren out of this bl**dy country and give them a life and a future" so no matter how bad i feel i need to focus on them!
Fingers crossed for visa.
(scared that they may say yes, but more scared they may say no!)
Thanks Claire.x
Hi Claire,
You're not going to know unless you try, and life's too short to sit wondering. At the end of the day, if it doesn't work out, what have you lost ? (apart from a bit of money, but money doesn't buy happiness!)
Hope your visa comes quickly.....If you fulfill the criteria, there's no reason why you shouldn't get one. You just have that long wait whilst they process it!! Keep us posted. It'll be worth the wait...I promise.
Robbo2 (Also Claire). x
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Thanks for this thread guys!
The excitement of applying for the visa has now gone as nothing to do now, all paperwork and medicals done. Bring on the BIG wait!!!!:curse:
That is a tough time. Vaguely similar to the period of time after 3 months here. All the hard stuff is done and you wonder what to do next. It'll be good.

We are vaguely thinking about planning a trip back in Jan 2009 but my heart isn't in it, hubby's certainly isn't, youngest couldn't be fussed either way but eldest would like to. I just think we should as our parents are obviously not getting any younger and we don't want my mother to come out here It's such a lot of money though and I keep finding problems like where we'd all stay and stuff like that.

I think I'll forget about it for a few months again
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Hi Guys!
Well, we're taking our first trip back to the UK to catch up with friends and family in a few days time...just wondered who else has done it/doing it soon?
We've been here almost 2 years and having recently sold our house in the UK and bought one here, we thought we'd take a trip back with the bit of money we had left over. It's now or never as we won't have the money: we'll end up spending it on something else.
My main reason for going back is to catch up with my good friends (the ones who aren't able to travel out here for many reasons) and also my Nan who is the grand old age of 86.
When we first left the UK, it was a 'let's try it and see' good bye. This time, I feel like I will be tying up those loose ends as we're here to stay.
Just wondered if any of you have any recent experiences??
Claire.
Went back to UK for 3 half weeks after 18 months in Perth. It was good to get back to familarality.
I can honestly say i felt alive again. Although Perth is nice and sunny (well most of the time, windy and cold at the mo) it just isn't enough to give me the thrill.
Uk has it's downsides, but all is forgiven when you feel more at home.
Been Back in Perth afew days now and the place is empty in comparison. I know others crave this emptiness, but i prefer the fullness of life that we felt whilst back in the UK, along with the family and friends. It sure has been an eye opener with both countries.
Have a fab holiday.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:06 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Ouch...that seems rather a lot of money!, but I guess that is for a bit longer than I went, and it's worth staying a bit longer if you can afford to, as I was exhausted!
Let me know what you decide to do!
Well that was looking at tickets for 4 of us, and then cost of hiring a car for 3 weeks, as family spread out all over place, and like has been said before cant imagine they would all meet in one place to make it easy for us!!

So what with spending money whilst there to it works out a lotta money!!

Still we will see what happens, we did the right we are NOT going back thing and now we said that think we all feel that we would like to go back just to take a peep!! Who knows!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I must be lucky when I go home - the aged rellies put me up and lend me a car and I zip about and visit friends. Last trip I only did a small tour - 1750 miles. The previous year I was almost up to 3000 miles in the 6 weeks. My parents have a spare room but I need to escape from them after about 5 days and I wander off and see who I want to see. I generally stay in Travelodges or the occasional Formule 1 so it doesnt cost an arm and a leg - they have some fantastic offers! Until recently I had a son in London and could kip on his sofa but he has moved out now so - no London digs

I dont mind visiting friends, most of them are great and get really miffed if I dont go and stay with them for a day or so - we usually lapse into the conversation that we didnt finish the last time we got together!