Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Most Guiness products in Australia are brewed under license by CUB - but cans of Guinness Draught and Kilkenny Irish Ale are imported, as is Harp Lager Draught.

So if you want the original product, buy a can of Draught or Ale.
Thing is, Guinness in tins tastes shite wherever it is brewed!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well, there's that of course...
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:10 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Would it be wrong for me to suggest that you dont drink the Guinness and try something else?? I know it would be hard, OH is finding it exceptionally hard, but has settled on a few others which he has the more you drink of said beer in one go the better it tastes!!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Goodwin
We applied online and then i called to arrange an interview, which is in 1 week!!
Brilliant!! Best wishes for that......I would love to know how you get on, as we plan to apply early December once we have been here the two years.
Keep me posted.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by on a mission
Funny, we came back I think due to work and homesickness, or confusion what ever it was, it now seems pethetic looking back at our excuses.

Been back 18 months, and seen family about 10 times, the bond isnt there, and the relationships just dont seem to be what was anticipated. I think we have moved on from the lifestlye and whinge how crap it is, and how good we had it, and acted like a couple of spoilt brats.

All our friends now have young kids, something we now dont have, so our social friend circle has changed, everyone has moved on, which we should have done permanently..

no red rug for us Im afraid
Hi - this is the same as what happened to me. Hubby wanted to stay but I was so desperate to get back - work and homesickness the same - never felt anythig like it in my life - and now my actions just seem pathetic. I often think if I was watching one of the relocation shows on TV and someone was sat there in the frame of mind I was in, I would think they needed shaking, but it is impossible to know how you would feel.

We are going back later this year/early next
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Hi We went back after being here 9 months, it was great, seeing friends and family, having that comfortable banter, understanding the long standing jokes, I loved it and intend to go back every year at least. I did not mind making the effort going to see every one, after all it was us that left.
Have fun enjoy
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi We went back after being here 9 months, it was great, seeing friends and family, having that comfortable banter, understanding the long standing jokes, I loved it and intend to go back every year at least. I did not mind making the effort going to see every one, after all it was us that left.
Have fun enjoy
Good to hear another perspective...thanks for your post.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Good to hear another perspective...thanks for your post.
We had to go back for hubbies dads funeral which was 1 year after moving here (we did have a holiday booked to the UK for 3 months later though) and our first feeling was what a flat plain looking place but that was cruising from London to Bristol and all we could see where fields everywhere. We were there for 3.5 weeks and were glad to come home. Obviously it was a trying time but we did find time for some fun too and to visit friends in various locations. Hardwork, expensive and hot (it was last summer and temps hit 30+ a lot) and sticky. Loved the light nights though and apart from family this is what I liked most. Its another year + on again and no plans to return in the next year or so. Hubbies mum coming over in November (80 yrs old and like Hyasinth Bucket) and my parents in Jan and BIL in Oct maybe so very busy year next year.
Jo
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here almost 29 years now and the longer I am here the more homesick I get. I try and go home (yes, it feels like home) at least once a year to see my elderly parents, ever diminishing extended family and now our eldest son who seems to have emigrated back (better career prospects would you believe?!). When we first arrived it was fine, we had young kids and this was a wonderful place to bring them up in. The older I have got, the more I miss the green, the history, the atmosphere of the cities and some very long time friends (in addition to the family of course!!!). When I leave Cambridge on the train up to Heathrow to come back to Aus I bawl my eyes out every time (most confusing for any other passengers who happen to be in the carriage I can assure you!).

When I go home, I always do the tripping around to keep up with friends - 1250 miles last time and that was a small trip for me! I would dearly love to go home or do what my parents did for 15 years in their early retirement - summer here for 6 months then summer there for 6 months however my Aussie DH really doesnt want to stir far from Canberra unless it is to move out into the bush somewhere.

I must admit that I never thought I would feel this way - for many years I relished the weather (you can have too much sun after a while!) the cleanliness (sterility?), the glorious birds (bloody cockatoo cacophony!) and the facilities but now I yearn for home.

Interesting too that in all my time here I have never found a British expat board nor thought of belonging to one until I found you today!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:23 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was shocked too. I was drinking Guinness in a central London pub - The Argyle Arms, right next to Oxford Circus Tube, as central as you can get - and it was GBP3 a pint (AUD7.20 at today's ER). In Perth you would pay $8-10 for a Guinness (& it tastes sh1te. London Guinness is brewed in Dublin - Aussie Guinness is brewed f**k knows where) and Perth ain't London.
In Europe it is even worse. Drinking my fav. Belgian beer in Brugge cost me $4-6. Same beer in perth is $14.
Holy wotsit! You really pay $10 for a Guinness in Perth??? I love proper Guinness and don't drink a great deal here but every now and then I decide to see if it has improved since the last one (it never does) but I haven't paid more than $7 or $7.50 anywhere in QLD or NT.

Hi Sharon,
That's exactly how I feel.......'the need to go back'....and my husband isn't bothered either. Infact, I'm going with my two girls of 9 and 7 and he's staying here to work!!! My nan is also 86 and if I don't go now, I feel it might be too late next year or the year after....
When we were planning a trip back earlier this year, I could have done without the hassle to be honest. You can't beat catching up with mates and family but I sure could have spent that $6k on something else.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

When we were planning a trip back earlier this year, I could have done without the hassle to be honest. You can't beat catching up with mates and family but I sure could have spent that $6k on something else.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm beginning to feel like it's a bit of a hassle and I haven't left yet!!
I'll let you know how we get on...leave a week today.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, I'm back...and have been for almost 2 weeks, but it's taken me til now to feel human again!!!
The trip was exhausting (especially travelling on my own with 2 children!!), but it was nice to catch up with family and friends. It definitely confirmed that we've made the right move. Although it was really comfortable with old friends (like we'd never been away!), I didn't feel like I belonged. My friends seemed to think the same, but obviously I now know a different lifestyle over here.
Even though it was a tiring trip and by no means a holiday, I'm glad I went back. It satisfied my need, but my hunger has now gone, and I won't be rushing back again for quite some time. Like some one else said: the $6k could pay for something else!!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Thanks for this thread guys!
The excitement of applying for the visa has now gone as nothing to do now, all paperwork and medicals done. Bring on the BIG wait!!!!:curse:
I'm having serious wobbles as my life at home is not that bad and we are not running from anything but in the same breath its not all that exciting either!
Reading this site has put a few doubts in my mind about buying a house, wages and homesickness but being by the beach with no money is still more of a life than sitting at home with a bit of money looking at the rain!!!
This thread has given me renewed faith that all will be ok (i hope).
So thanks again for putting my mind at rest that this feeling is very normal as i do love my family and friends very much and i havent even gone yet!
Told our family that we have applied for a visa to oz and they said "good dont blame you, get my grandchildren out of this bl**dy country and give them a life and a future" so no matter how bad i feel i need to focus on them!
Fingers crossed for visa.
(scared that they may say yes, but more scared they may say no!)
Thanks Claire.x
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:40 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Well, I'm back...and have been for almost 2 weeks, but it's taken me til now to feel human again!!!
The trip was exhausting (especially travelling on my own with 2 children!!), but it was nice to catch up with family and friends. It definitely confirmed that we've made the right move. Although it was really comfortable with old friends (like we'd never been away!), I didn't feel like I belonged. My friends seemed to think the same, but obviously I now know a different lifestyle over here.
Even though it was a tiring trip and by no means a holiday, I'm glad I went back. It satisfied my need, but my hunger has now gone, and I won't be rushing back again for quite some time. Like some one else said: the $6k could pay for something else!!!
We were talking about this thread the other day friends and I and wondered how you had gone on your trip back!! Seems that everyone I have spoken to that goes back for trip has the same outcome that they made the right decision to come to Oz!! We are thinking about our first trip back in May next year, but looking into the cost has put us off BIG time, looking about $10-$12 grand for a 3-4 week trip for the whole family!! I would rather put that towards my new kitchen!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We were talking about this thread the other day friends and I and wondered how you had gone on your trip back!! Seems that everyone I have spoken to that goes back for trip has the same outcome that they made the right decision to come to Oz!! We are thinking about our first trip back in May next year, but looking into the cost has put us off BIG time, looking about $10-$12 grand for a 3-4 week trip for the whole family!! I would rather put that towards my new kitchen!!
Ouch...that seems rather a lot of money!, but I guess that is for a bit longer than I went, and it's worth staying a bit longer if you can afford to, as I was exhausted!
Let me know what you decide to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.