Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:36 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Originally Posted by jothefw
It was wonderful to see very close friends and family but it isn't a holiday!
Oh boy yes!! We felt the same as that. It was fantastic to spend time with family and catch up with friends but we were glad to get back home - even if that was to Darwin
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annb
ive been here 15yrs and still find going back to the UK very unsettling, my kids are only young and the only grandparents they have are in the uk and we have no other family around us here - I go back to the uk at least once a year and each time struggle with which place I would rather live. The first few years I was here (without kids) I couldnt care less, but now that the folks are ageing, the kids have no cousins/uncles/aunties around its hard. Over the years I have spent time traveling around visiting old friends and finding we have not a lot in common anymore, now when I go home I barely even tell people I am going back and those that I do tell, well they know where I live if they want to see me!! I do 'call australia home' but I still call the UK home as well!! Its hard, you are caught between 2 places and whilst you know that yes the lifestyle is probably better over here for your immediate family, it doesnt stop you wondering if leaving your 'extended' family behind is for the best. I honestly dont think I will ever be settled in one place or the other, I cant see myself living in England again, Ive got too much to give up here after 15yrs, but I do always wonder 'what if we went back'.
Im sure you will have a great trip though, just remember when you get back to Aus it will take you a few weeks to settle back down and stop those homesick feelings!

Great post and true for many of us. Very unsettling for everyone. For us, seeing my kids and my parents having to go through goodbyes again is just too painful.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Hi Guys!
Well, we're taking our first trip back to the UK to catch up with friends and family in a few days time...just wondered who else has done it/doing it soon?
We've been here almost 2 years and having recently sold our house in the UK and bought one here, we thought we'd take a trip back with the bit of money we had left over. It's now or never as we won't have the money: we'll end up spending it on something else.
My main reason for going back is to catch up with my good friends (the ones who aren't able to travel out here for many reasons) and also my Nan who is the grand old age of 86.
When we first left the UK, it was a 'let's try it and see' good bye. This time, I feel like I will be tying up those loose ends as we're here to stay.
Just wondered if any of you have any recent experiences??
Claire.

Hi

Yes I went back early this year in April - for same reasons really. To see my gran of 89 and friends and family.

I did enjoy it - but I couldn't wait to get home - It is true for me at least - you can't go back - people move on especially friends
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Hi,
we are booked to go to England in December, we have been here over a year now. My husband isn't bothered about going back, but I need to see my grandparent their 86. It will also be great to see my parents and family, but Im not sure how I will cope with the goodbyes again. I'm already feeling guilty about saying goodbye to my mum all over again! Our 3 children are the only grandchildren and mum still cries over them. It won't be much of a holiday in that sense, but I just feel the need to go back.
Sharon
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys!
Well, we're taking our first trip back to the UK to catch up with friends and family in a few days time...just wondered who else has done it/doing it soon?
We've been here almost 2 years and having recently sold our house in the UK and bought one here, we thought we'd take a trip back with the bit of money we had left over. It's now or never as we won't have the money: we'll end up spending it on something else.
My main reason for going back is to catch up with my good friends (the ones who aren't able to travel out here for many reasons) and also my Nan who is the grand old age of 86.
When we first left the UK, it was a 'let's try it and see' good bye. This time, I feel like I will be tying up those loose ends as we're here to stay.
Just wondered if any of you have any recent experiences??
Claire.
I have just got back from our first trip back home after being in Oz for 2 years and boy was it a shock to see the UK again. You see it through completely different eyes. After the 2nd day there i wanted to come back home to Manly, Australia.

It was awesome to see family and friends but after thats done i was Australia-sick.
I finally came to the conclusion that i was the one that had changed, my expectations of whats nice, clean and a great way of life because i hated being back in the UK. It fully reminded me of why i left in the first place.

I promised my Dad i would go back every 2 years to see him as he will not travel, but thank god i will not have to go back for another 2 years!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodwin
I have just got back from our first trip back home after being in Oz for 2 years and boy was it a shock to see the UK again. You see it through completely different eyes. After the 2nd day there i wanted to come back home to Manly, Australia.

It was awesome to see family and friends but after thats done i was Australia-sick.
I finally came to the conclusion that i was the one that had changed, my expectations of whats nice, clean and a great way of life because i hated being back in the UK. It fully reminded me of why i left in the first place.

I promised my Dad i would go back every 2 years to see him as he will not travel, but thank god i will not have to go back for another 2 years!!!!
Oh and i forgot to say that.....it affected me so much being back in the UK that 2 days after arriving back in Australia we applied for Austrialian citizenship!!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi,
we are booked to go to England in December, we have been here over a year now. My husband isn't bothered about going back, but I need to see my grandparent their 86. It will also be great to see my parents and family, but Im not sure how I will cope with the goodbyes again. I'm already feeling guilty about saying goodbye to my mum all over again! Our 3 children are the only grandchildren and mum still cries over them. It won't be much of a holiday in that sense, but I just feel the need to go back.
Sharon
Hi Sharon,
That's exactly how I feel.......'the need to go back'....and my husband isn't bothered either. Infact, I'm going with my two girls of 9 and 7 and he's staying here to work!!! My nan is also 86 and if I don't go now, I feel it might be too late next year or the year after....
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Goodwin

Many people have siad that to me Goodwin...that we'll see it through different eyes. I'm hoping I'll feel the same: ie that we'll be keen to come 'home' to Australia.
Oh well, 8 days to go........
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many people have siad that to me Goodwin...that we'll see it through different eyes. I'm hoping I'll feel the same: ie that we'll be keen to come 'home' to Australia.
Oh well, 8 days to go........
P.S. Did you get your citizenship or are you still waiting to hear?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

P.S. Did you get your citizenship or are you still waiting to hear?
We applied online and then i called to arrange an interview, which is in 1 week!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

kathkim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

we went back after being here 2 years as i was desperatly homesick,have a big family in uk.and had such a great time that when we got back here we put our house on the market and went back.BIG MISTAKE after only 2 weeks in uk realised we had done wrong so came back after a year.We have been here 18 years now and go back every 2 years for a holiday but oz is now our home.I think we had to go back so I could come back and settle if you know what i mean.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Hi Sharon,
That's exactly how I feel.......'the need to go back'....and my husband isn't bothered either. Infact, I'm going with my two girls of 9 and 7 and he's staying here to work!!! My nan is also 86 and if I don't go now, I feel it might be too late next year or the year after....
Hi,
My husband is going back with us, but his heart isn't in it, he would rather have gone to Queensland etc. But he knows how important it is for me to see my grandparents. I know what you mean about it being too late, my grandad hasn't been well lately. So Queensland can wait for now! My three sons are excited.
Sharon
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was back there a few weeks ago and although I have no axe to grind with the UK, it was good to get back home to Perth. This is our home now and this trip confirmed it. SE England is still mental, traffic is still insane. Surrey, Sussex and Kent are still beautiful. London is as crowded as ever but still a fantastic city. Seeing the COL over there confirmed to me that Australia is really no cheaper - drinking in central London is cheaper than in Perth for instance. We went over to France and Belgium which was the highlight of the whole trip. I do miss the cheap travel options but apart from that and a few other small things don't miss much else.
Drinking in London...cheaper than drinking in Perth crikey!!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Drinking in London...cheaper than drinking in Perth crikey!!!
Yeah, I was shocked too. I was drinking Guinness in a central London pub - The Argyle Arms, right next to Oxford Circus Tube, as central as you can get - and it was GBP3 a pint (AUD7.20 at today's ER). In Perth you would pay $8-10 for a Guinness (& it tastes sh1te. London Guinness is brewed in Dublin - Aussie Guinness is brewed f**k knows where) and Perth ain't London.
In Europe it is even worse. Drinking my fav. Belgian beer in Brugge cost me $4-6. Same beer in perth is $14.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: First trip back to UK since emigrating.....

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah, I was shocked too. I was drinking Guinness in a central London pub - The Argyle Arms, right next to Oxford Circus Tube, as central as you can get - and it was GBP3 a pint (AUD7.20 at today's ER). In Perth you would pay $8-10 for a Guinness (& it tastes sh1te. London Guinness is brewed in Dublin - Aussie Guinness is brewed f**k knows where) and Perth ain't London.
In Europe it is even worse. Drinking my fav. Belgian beer in Brugge cost me $4-6. Same beer in perth is $14.
Most Guiness products in Australia are brewed under license by CUB - but cans of Guinness Draught and Kilkenny Irish Ale are imported, as is Harp Lager Draught.

So if you want the original product, buy a can of Draught or Ale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.