first timer- need advice!

Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

lisa1 will become famous soon enough
Default first timer- need advice!

Hello,
Firstly
What is a tra?

Myself anf hubby have been debating for 2 years now about oz. Our daughter is 14 yrs old and I guess we are worried about how she will settle in. I would love to hear from other parents who may have had the same concerns as we do and hear their stories.

We havent even sent for an application as we have loads of research to do. We did some ages ago but have forgotton most of it! I am debating if it would be better to train as a nurse in OZ so we dont have to wait 4 yrs but if we have do, we will. My hubby is an engineer building services so maybe we could get a working visa.

If anyone has any advice then please feel free to mail me. At the moment not sure where to start . We are looking at perth Adelaide or Melbourne.

Wishin everyone the best of luck

Lisa
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:13 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: first timer- need advice!

Originally Posted by lisa1
Hello,
Firstly
What is a tra?

Myself anf hubby have been debating for 2 years now about oz. Our daughter is 14 yrs old and I guess we are worried about how she will settle in. I would love to hear from other parents who may have had the same concerns as we do and hear their stories.

We havent even sent for an application as we have loads of research to do. We did some ages ago but have forgotton most of it! I am debating if it would be better to train as a nurse in OZ so we dont have to wait 4 yrs but if we have do, we will. My hubby is an engineer building services so maybe we could get a working visa.

If anyone has any advice then please feel free to mail me. At the moment not sure where to start . We are looking at perth Adelaide or Melbourne.

Lisa
TRa is a skills assessing body http://www.workplace.gov.au/TRA/
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Just noticed you will be off sonn. They very best of luck.
quivk question

How long is the TRA valid for before sending of your application.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:38 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Just noticed you will be off sonn. They very best of luck.
quivk question

How long is the TRA valid for before sending of your application.
Once you have tra thats it valid 4ever , unless someone else knows other wise !
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: first timer- need advice!

Hello,
Firstly
What is a tra?

Lisa

Gday and welcome

TRA is Trades Recognition Australia.

It is the skills assesment arm for most applicants looking at migrating under the term "skills visa class" amongst others, that far more qualified members could help you with.

Initially, you should look at the dimia website, www.dimia.gov.au i think !!

Then look at the type of VISA class that you think, best suits your eligibility...

example : there are regional visas , STNI state territory nominated, etc etc etc have a good read...

Perhaps look at Alan Collets website also, www.gomatilda.com i think ...

Usually , most people I would guestimate, download all the documentation they can get and print it off. Beware theres shit loads of paperwork.

If you follow the Skills route, ie get your old mans skills assessed , this is to say, that his qualifications and skills , match that of an australian equivalent skill/job/trade within the TRA skills list.

To do this, he would need to provide skill details, work history, trade details, etc etc etc and get all this bumph off to TRA.

Please dont mistake my briefness above to reflect the briefness in which you apply, to TRA, more is good, less is bad !!!!!

For skills route, this is the 1st pre requisite to pass.
If you fail, you can appeal , I DID !!! lol and passed, all because our solicitor advised us NOT to sign certain pages, as being un necessary

This TRA application can take, upto 20 weeks !!!

You can phone them, i think they open the doors at 8am or 9am , so 12 midnight uk time...

they are very approachable and follow the rule, of we cannot advise but we can suggest route, albeit they can give you INSIDER HINTS !! if you act very subserviant.

Once you get a positive TRA, i think the process from memory, is to send in main application, again you need to choose SKILLS application, and give shitloads of detail.

After an agonising wait, with the only feedback being your application and MONEY have been received, you will be asked for :

more info or
medicals and police checks called , pc's

this is the point when you KNOW shit this is becoming real, but again NOTHING is guaranteed.

This is where MANY crap themselves for being in the do i sell my house and tell my boss hes a wanka DILEMMA !!

The entire process, for this can be 12-24 months !! so be prepared to WAIT !!

The tricks are, TRA NOW !!!!!!!!

because, dimia financial year ends i think MAY

gives you enough tim to get TRA passed, and make main application. Then hopefully come MAY when DIMIA have hired more staff cos they have more money in the coffers, the list can whittle down a bit quicker, and your application, last in last served gets looked at a bit quicker.

This isnt a definitive answer or guide but well used and trusted by many.

Re kids !!!!!

we moved with 3 kids and 4 dogs and imported a car and a 20ft container to Brisbane.

We had been many times before to Oz. So new a little of what to expect.

My kids were 14 12 and 11

I think Kids settle based on the vibes they get off their parents, and each kids personality, and each families overall situation.

Ours settled immediately, in fact began school 2 days ater arriving.

I could go on, but I wont.

I think this post has earnt enough Karma, always reminds me of POPIDOL cococola advert in australia, KARMA KARMA KARMA THE VENGEFUL ELEPHANT !!

lol

goodluck the Brisbane 5
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I really appreciate it. I guess we will do the TRA bit and then take if from there. I dont have a skill per say unless i can include juggling a teenager, studies, housework, taxi driver .......I could go on!!!!!!!
Was it easy to find work over?

Again thanks for the advice, your great.

Lisa

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Gday and welcome

TRA is Trades Recognition Australia.

It is the skills assesment arm for most applicants looking at migrating under the term "skills visa class" amongst others, that far more qualified members could help you with.

Initially, you should look at the dimia website, www.dimia.gov.au i think !!

Then look at the type of VISA class that you think, best suits your eligibility...

example : there are regional visas , STNI state territory nominated, etc etc etc have a good read...

Perhaps look at Alan Collets website also, www.gomatilda.com i think ...

Usually , most people I would guestimate, download all the documentation they can get and print it off. Beware theres shit loads of paperwork.

If you follow the Skills route, ie get your old mans skills assessed , this is to say, that his qualifications and skills , match that of an australian equivalent skill/job/trade within the TRA skills list.

To do this, he would need to provide skill details, work history, trade details, etc etc etc and get all this bumph off to TRA.

Please dont mistake my briefness above to reflect the briefness in which you apply, to TRA, more is good, less is bad !!!!!

For skills route, this is the 1st pre requisite to pass.
If you fail, you can appeal , I DID !!! lol and passed, all because our solicitor advised us NOT to sign certain pages, as being un necessary

This TRA application can take, upto 20 weeks !!!

You can phone them, i think they open the doors at 8am or 9am , so 12 midnight uk time...

they are very approachable and follow the rule, of we cannot advise but we can suggest route, albeit they can give you INSIDER HINTS !! if you act very subserviant.

Once you get a positive TRA, i think the process from memory, is to send in main application, again you need to choose SKILLS application, and give shitloads of detail.

After an agonising wait, with the only feedback being your application and MONEY have been received, you will be asked for :

more info or
medicals and police checks called , pc's

this is the point when you KNOW shit this is becoming real, but again NOTHING is guaranteed.

This is where MANY crap themselves for being in the do i sell my house and tell my boss hes a wanka DILEMMA !!

The entire process, for this can be 12-24 months !! so be prepared to WAIT !!

The tricks are, TRA NOW !!!!!!!!

because, dimia financial year ends i think MAY

gives you enough tim to get TRA passed, and make main application. Then hopefully come MAY when DIMIA have hired more staff cos they have more money in the coffers, the list can whittle down a bit quicker, and your application, last in last served gets looked at a bit quicker.

This isnt a definitive answer or guide but well used and trusted by many.

Re kids !!!!!

we moved with 3 kids and 4 dogs and imported a car and a 20ft container to Brisbane.

We had been many times before to Oz. So new a little of what to expect.

My kids were 14 12 and 11

I think Kids settle based on the vibes they get off their parents, and each kids personality, and each families overall situation.

Ours settled immediately, in fact began school 2 days ater arriving.

I could go on, but I wont.

I think this post has earnt enough Karma, always reminds me of POPIDOL cococola advert in australia, KARMA KARMA KARMA THE VENGEFUL ELEPHANT !!

lol

goodluck the Brisbane 5
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:01 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I really appreciate it. I guess we will do the TRA bit and then take if from there. I dont have a skill per say unless i can include juggling a teenager, studies, housework, taxi driver .......I could go on!!!!!!!
Was it easy to find work over?

Again thanks for the advice, your great.

Lisa

Your very welcome...

I wont burden you with our story lol... but

I began working after about 2 weeks of arriving, it isnt difficult, however... I was lucky i guess.

I do know some on here who have had an awful time, of finding work, and some that have moved straight into work.

The problem here as I see it, is the Red Tape involved with getting a job.

For example:

juggling a teenager
studies
housework
taxi driver

Juggling requires a Hawkers license and 5 million public liability
studying requires a TAFE course
housework, requires a vaccum cleaner applicance skill assesmnent and dust and dirt disposal cert part 3
taxi driver, requires an understanding of chinese punjabi , serb and slovakian, and perhaps english, also health and safety part 1 2 and 3, public liability etc etc

just joshing but seriously, if you wanted to become a GLASS COLLECTOR in a pub !!

You need Health and Safety Cert +
Hospitality and tourism management cert !!

LOL

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

LOL
I like your writing style. So would we experience much red tape getting a job as a building service engineer?

Your very welcome...

I wont burden you with our story lol... but

I began working after about 2 weeks of arriving, it isnt difficult, however... I was lucky i guess.

I do know some on here who have had an awful time, of finding work, and some that have moved straight into work.

The problem here as I see it, is the Red Tape involved with getting a job.

For example:

juggling a teenager
studies
housework
taxi driver

Juggling requires a Hawkers license and 5 million public liability
studying requires a TAFE course
housework, requires a vaccum cleaner applicance skill assesmnent and dust and dirt disposal cert part 3
taxi driver, requires an understanding of chinese punjabi , serb and slovakian, and perhaps english, also health and safety part 1 2 and 3, public liability etc etc

just joshing but seriously, if you wanted to become a GLASS COLLECTOR in a pub !!

You need Health and Safety Cert +
Hospitality and tourism management cert !!

LOL

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:07 pm
Banned

LOL
I like your writing style. So would we experience much red tape getting a job as a building service engineer?

WTF is a Building Services Engineer lol ????

like a site foreman ??
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Designs heating, plumbing, domestic water services air conditioning electrical installation, lighting etc.

WTF is a Building Services Engineer lol ????

like a site foreman ??
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Designs heating, plumbing, domestic water services air conditioning electrical installation, lighting etc.
Does your husband have an engineering degree? If so, skills assessment can be a lot easier, done under the Washington Accord Agreement...........
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Yea hes got a degree in aeronautics but went into building services as no jobs in aeronautics, typical. Leave uni and what you trained for is a waste a bit like nursing over here. A lot in the news about nurses getting laid off etc. This country has gone mad! So what is the washington accord agreement? Perhaps you could elaborate.

If you could have anything english brought to OZ what would it be?

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Does your husband have an engineering degree? If so, skills assessment can be a lot easier, done under the Washington Accord Agreement...........
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea hes got a degree in aeronautics but went into building services as no jobs in aeronautics, typical. Leave uni and what you trained for is a waste a bit like nursing over here. A lot in the news about nurses getting laid off etc. This country has gone mad! So what is the washington accord agreement? Perhaps you could elaborate.

If you could have anything english brought to OZ what would it be?
Also take a look at IEAust for the skills assessmnet bit after reading up on Booklet 6 on the DIMIA website.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:39 am
Just Joined

thanks Marco
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:15 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Firstly
What is a tra?

Lisa
Hi Lisa, there's not much I can add really to what's already been said - it's a long complicated process anyway. If you want my advice get a good agent to help you - we haven't got one but I wish we had! It would certainly make things a lot easier. There's a few recommended on this site from various people which you'll soon find if you do a search.

There's an expo on in London at the end of the month, if you look at this website it'll give you some more info http://www.expo-australia.com/ It might be worth going to if you're in the early stages to give you a bit more of an idea.

Kath x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.