Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices to r

For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices to r

Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:47 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices to r

"For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices to remain flat or fall."
"SENTIMENT among Australian property investors is turning increasingly bearish, according to the latest Investor Pulse poll of investors conducted by Colmar Brunton and BusinessDay.

For the first time this year, the number of investors expecting house prices to remain flat or fall outweighs those who see prices rising. The fundamental reason for the shift in sentiment is a dawning belief that Australian housing is in a ''bubble'' that at some point will burst and return to historic levels of affordability.

When asked about recent comments by famed US fund manager and property bubble expert Jeremy Grantham - who described Australian and British property as the only two of 34 bubbles he had studied that had not yet burst - 43 per cent of investors agreed that reversion to the mean would involve considerable pain. Only 25 per cent of investors disagreed with the bubble diagnosis and 32 per cent were undecided."
"a dawning belief that Australian housing is in a bubble that at some point will burst and return to historic levels of affordability" - not much of a fall then.

"Rising interest rates were surprisingly low on the list of causes, with only 10 per cent of investors blaming monetary policy for the slowdown."
sounds like they are free to resume interest rate rises.

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...715-10bod.html

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 15th 2010 at 3:50 am.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices

Hey Coolshadows, I guess we've been in front of the curve for a while now.

Smart money has exited, smarter investors are trying to get out now and the numpties will be scrambling for the exits when it's too late.

The UK press is choc full of news items relating to downward pressure and a heavily falling market which can only mean less migrants with less cash to Aus.

I'm sure the FHOG and allowing foreigners to buy Aus property was a way to ensure that everyone who was connected to the Govt could sell their investment properties at top dollar in a market that was obviously gonna fall.

Even Glenn Stevens (RBA chief) has warned the public that buying property is no way to quick riches or something to that affect. He's warned the public.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Hey Coolshadows, I guess we've been in front of the curve for a while now.
Interesting figures... 12% expect a drop and 44% expect them to keep rising.

That article shows:

1% expect a 10% drop (that's the group you are in, yes? )
11% expect a 5% drop

39% expect a 5% rise
5% expect a 10% rise

Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Interesting figures... 12% expect a drop and 44% expect them to keep rising.

That article shows:

1% expect a 10% drop (that's the group you are in, yes? )
11% expect a 5% drop

39% expect a 5% rise
5% expect a 10% rise

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/07/...se25-420x0.jpg
38% expected flat. This survey was aimed at PROPERTY INVESTORS! Who are probably already holding property and therefore will be biased to price rises and yet they are NOT!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
38% expected flat. This survey was aimed at PROPERTY INVESTORS! Who are probably already holding property and therefore will be biased to price rises and yet they are NOT!!
As I said, an interesting article.

And 61 per cent of investors agreed that interest rates were at the right level or still too low.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:10 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I'm seeing more 'reduced' tags in the local paper property pages. Is this a new sales ploy, or genuine reductions I wonder...

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I'm seeing more 'reduced' tags in the local paper property pages. Is this a new sales ploy, or genuine reductions I wonder...

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3206/salesai.jpg
Thats how it started in Florida
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:44 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Another day, another thread featuring the usual suspects.

ABCdiamond I love the way you gatecrash these little parties and let the readers see what the article is actually saying, not what pomtastic, freebo and coolshadows want the readers to see...

Based on the colmar brunton graph:

5% = don't know
12% = think it will fall
38% = think it will stay flat
44% = think it will rise

The article is titled:
For the first time this year, most investors surveyed are expecting house prices to remain flat or fall.

So the number of people who think it will stay flat or fall (12% + 38%) = 50%, outweighs the number that think it will rise....44%.

Of course, you could flip it around and say that the number of people who think the market will rise or stay flat (82%), far outweighs the number of people who think it will fall (12%). But I'm not sure that Pomtastic and others would get too excited about an article based on those stats.....

Last edited by asprilla; Jul 15th 2010 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

ps - better quickly add in a disclaimer... I'm part of the 12% that reckon prices will drop this year. I'm just not part of the "bubble gang".
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by asprilla
ABCdiamond I love the way you gatecrash these little parties and let the readers see what the article is actually saying, not what pomtastic, freebo and coolshadows want the readers to see...
I simply bring some sarcasm to the table, trying to counter-balance all the 'but it's different in Australia' cr@p.

The key point of this article was the change in direction. No longer are they simply discussing if it'll be 10% or 20% increases (and the chart is from a property investment research company).

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 15th 2010 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

To know that we're entertaining you is reward enough!

BTW I think the tree of us + you & ABCD are the readers, Mr Diamond however offers a useful perspective.

Last edited by freebo; Jul 16th 2010 at 12:14 am.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:12 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by freebo
To know that we're entertaining you is reward enough!

BTW I think the tree of us + you & ABCD are the readers, Mr Diamond however offers a useful perspective.
ha ha... yep you're probably right we're the only ones that bother reading this stuff !!! everyone else just scrolls on past to the next thread, heh heh.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:33 am
ABCDiamond

ps - better quickly add in a disclaimer... I'm part of the 12% that reckon prices will drop this year. I'm just not part of the "bubble gang".
and I am in the 5% that don't know Too damn complex to make a real call.

Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You lot should ask for your own forum on here.... The "Boring Bastards Obsessed with Property" board. B-BOP for short.

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You lot should ask for your own forum on here.... The "Boring Bastards Obsessed with Property" board. B-BOP for short.

Actually I'm more obsessed with The Economy, property's just a side issue, so I would be a B-BOTE, which sounds even worse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.