Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Time Renting in NSW

First Time Renting in NSW

Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future
Default First Time Renting in NSW

Morning all

Well we are looking at rental houses in NSW and we've been advised by a RE Agent that you must physically look at the property before you can rent - fair one!

How did everyone else go about this?

My idea was to short list some properties in the area and arrange to see them when we first get there - staying in a hotel during the process. Does anyone know how long it takes (roughly obviously) from viewing to moving in??

Thanks all

Polly & Matt
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:03 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: First Time Renting in NSW

It can vary.

It can be as low as two days, or it could be 2 weeks.

If the property is already vacant, and you can provide everything required, it can be done very quickly.

Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

We relocated from NSW to QLD and had the same trouble. Did manage to find a real estate who would rent to us without viewing the property but we had to sign a disclaimer that we would view the house unseen. Due to that we decided on a new property, thought there would be fewer surprises. If we had viewed the property beforehand we would probably not have chosen it but it serves it's purpose.

When we first emigrated we stayed in a caravan park and then travelled around suburbs to see where we would live. Dependent on where in NSW you are going, there are always no go areas so find out as much about the local area as you can before you consider renting in a suburb. we found looks can be deceptive out here!

If you want to get in a house as soon as possible, take references with you. We took one from the real estate that sold our UK property to say it was in good condition and had mortgage statements and bank statements printed out. Saves time chasing these things up with time differences etc. If you have all the paperwork you need then it should only take a few days to sign paperwork and move in. If you look on real estate websites and click on tenancy application links it will list all the paperwork they require. Job offer letters confirming salary are also a must to have with you.

If you need any further info let me know.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

It can be really difficult securing your first property in NSW and the RE agents are notoriously shifty, often allegedly taking backhanders from those inclined to offer them. The way we did it was to search for private rental properties not on RE agents books. They are harder to find but they are out there, and the advantage is that you get to meet the landlord in person.

Doing it through RE agents is a tiring process.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bananalana
It can be really difficult securing your first property in NSW and the RE agents are notoriously shifty, often allegedly taking backhanders from those inclined to offer them. The way we did it was to search for private rental properties not on RE agents books. They are harder to find but they are out there, and the advantage is that you get to meet the landlord in person.

thanks for the advice. we've got a letter from the estate agent that we sold our house with, surprisingly they did it the day I asked, feel a bit better about all the money they got ha ha ha

thanks again
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by polly_pod
Morning all

Well we are looking at rental houses in NSW and we've been advised by a RE Agent that you must physically look at the property before you can rent - fair one!

How did everyone else go about this?

My idea was to short list some properties in the area and arrange to see them when we first get there - staying in a hotel during the process. Does anyone know how long it takes (roughly obviously) from viewing to moving in??

Thanks all

Polly & Matt
We had a bad experience when securing a rental property in Sydney through RE agents. The process was that they have 'open sessions' - about 15-30 minutes at a certain time where all perspective tenants can look around and take application forms away if they like the place. - i.e. you don't have the luxuary of dictating what you want to see and when.

The tenancy process is not first-come-first-serve either. As all perspective tenants look around at the same time, and if you like it you apply, submit a stack of documents explaining your suitability (bank statements, job contracts and anything you think will show you as a good candidate). The RE agent then provides the landlord with the applicants he/she thinks are most suitable and the landlord chooses. It is difficult as it is out of your hands - you can't just say "Yes, I like the place, I'll take it". I think it is also a bit personal - you may be the nicest people in the world, but the RE agent evaluates your documents and makes a judgement on whether you would be good tenants or not!

We looked at about 10 properties, applied for 6 and got 6 rejections. Eventually we looked in the papers and approached the landlord direct (although he used an agent also) he liked us when we met and said he'll ask specifically for our application to be included in the recommendations.

Best option is to try and meet the landlords direct, or make some sort of personal connection with the RE agent - speak to them and explain your situation and explain why you would be suitable etc. I can understand the OP saying some candidates offer back-handers to secure the flat - it is a tough market renting at the mo.

Hope this is useful
Mark
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

I went through the process of viewing a couple of properties. The first I didn't like but the second I did. I applied and was accepted immediately on a nice property in a sought after area.

However, I did my homework first because I had no Au rental history and I needed somewhere to live pretty quickly. I put together a nice bound bundle of documents. It included a covering letter introducing myself and my partner, what we are doing in Aus, my employer and what work my partner is likely to get. I explained that we weren't smokers etc. I explained that we had rented in the past and had also had a mortgage in the UK prior to moving here. You know, personalise things.

I then included copies of our visas, police checks, bank statements, utility bills, rental references, bank references and some pictures of our previous home. This showed cleared balances, savings, good history and that our home was in good condition.

In short, I had to make us look more attractive than every other candidate who would generally only be submitting an application form. It payed off....accepted on our first application.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
I went through the process of viewing a couple of properties. The first I didn't like but the second I did. I applied and was accepted immediately on a nice property in a sought after area.

However, I did my homework first because I had no Au rental history and I needed somewhere to live pretty quickly. I put together a nice bound bundle of documents. It included a covering letter introducing myself and my partner, what we are doing in Aus, my employer and what work my partner is likely to get. I explained that we weren't smokers etc. I explained that we had rented in the past and had also had a mortgage in the UK prior to moving here. You know, personalise things.

I then included copies of our visas, police checks, bank statements, utility bills, rental references, bank references and some pictures of our previous home. This showed cleared balances, savings, good history and that our home was in good condition.

In short, I had to make us look more attractive than every other candidate who would generally only be submitting an application form. It payed off....accepted on our first application.
Sounds good. May be you were lucky or may be I wasn't?

My wife and I did the same, included copies of all the same documents, wrote a friendly and incouraging covering letter (non smokers, no pets, good financial stability etc) and our prepared packs went in the bin of the RE agent. We got fed up spending the 5 bucks photocopying the 20 odd pages for each place we ended up going round the RE agents to collect our unsuccessful applications out of their trash bins.

The factor that affects your chances is how many other people are applying for the same property? When we viewed the 6 or 7 places there were about 30 others (15 or so groups) viewing them also, most taking away an application to fill in. With 1/15 the odds weren't that great.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Every place we applied for in sydney had about 10 other couples looking at it, we was panicking so started putting in for ones and they all was getting rejected.
We said we would pay 6 months upfront and even offered more on some places.

Eventually when we wasnt getting anywhere, my dad just printed off his bank statements and said he would pay 6 months upfront and they could directly from his account if we ever defaulted...after accepting the one we wanted, nearly everysingle one came back and said we could have them after seeing my dads bank balance..lol

We are a young couple (both 26) with a 4 year old daughter, so we wasnt going to be having parties or anything and my partner already had a job and letter stating his pay etc.

Totaally different to when we lived in vaucluse (estern suburbs) in 2004, walked into an agents and had the keys within hours, and it was to a huge apatment in great area, we could pay in cash by the week also.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by polly_pod
..........Does anyone know how long it takes (roughly obviously) from viewing to moving in??

Thanks all

Polly & Matt
The process is pretty quick once your application is accepted. When we eventually signed contracts we were given the keys the next day.

It is of course, situation dependent - if the property has tennants moving out, if the landlord is doing any repairs or anything etc. So it depends on other factors.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by taylor25
Every place we applied for in sydney had about 10 other couples looking at it, we was panicking so started putting in for ones and they all was getting rejected.
We said we would pay 6 months upfront and even offered more on some places.

Eventually when we wasnt getting anywhere, my dad just printed off his bank statements and said he would pay 6 months upfront and they could directly from his account if we ever defaulted...after accepting the one we wanted, nearly everysingle one came back and said we could have them after seeing my dads bank balance..lol

We are a young couple (both 26) with a 4 year old daughter, so we wasnt going to be having parties or anything and my partner already had a job and letter stating his pay etc.

Totaally different to when we lived in vaucluse (estern suburbs) in 2004, walked into an agents and had the keys within hours, and it was to a huge apatment in great area, we could pay in cash by the week also.
I feel your pain!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bananalana

Yes, that is so true, all of us shifty real estate agents are living the high life with all the backhanders we get.....Thank you everyone!!!