Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first time in OZ

first time in OZ

Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:40 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all
Default first time in OZ

Hi all was just wondering if any one was the same as us moving to Oz never been before. My brother has been in melbourne for 3 years and keeps saying how great it is apart from the weather in victoria (be warned if you going there) we are a family of 4.

steve
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:01 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: first time in OZ

Originally Posted by stevelaird
My brother has been in melbourne for 3 years and keeps saying how great it is apart from the weather in victoria (be warned if you going there)

steve
As in, too hot ?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:18 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by @boy
As in, too hot ?

Nope as in too cold !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:20 pm

Nope as in too cold !
Where is he living in Melbourne ? In a Fridge ;-)
Apart from 2 months of the year in Melbourne, I would describe it as anything BUT cold or wet....
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:26 pm
visa granted 6th August

Where is he living in Melbourne ? In a Fridge ;-)
Apart from 2 months of the year in Melbourne, I would describe it as anything BUT cold or wet....
well he lives in st kilda and nearly ever time i speak to him he says the weather is c*** but suppose he wont be compairing it to UK weather any more but the rest of Australia.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Hi all was just wondering if any one was the same as us moving to Oz never been before. My brother has been in melbourne for 3 years and keeps saying how great it is apart from the weather in victoria (be warned if you going there) we are a family of 4.

steve

Hi Stevelaird,

We are hoping to jet off in summer, even with never stepping in foot in Oz, what an adventure !!!!!

Uncle went travelling round Oz Nov 06 - Mar 07 and he didn't want to come back, he said his favourite place in Oz was Melbourne.

D.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:38 pm

well he lives in st kilda and nearly ever time i speak to him he says the weather is c*** but suppose he wont be compairing it to UK weather any more but the rest of Australia.
My comparison after 5 years in Melbourne is against my first 35 years in Ireland.
I can assure you with 100% confidence, that the weather is most certainly not c*** here.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:40 pm
visa granted 6th August

Well i cant argue with you boy as i am not there yet. I can only go on what he says.

steve
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:34 pm

Well i cant argue with you boy as i am not there yet. I can only go on what he says.

steve
Just wanted to let you know that you will be pleasantly surprised with the weather when you get here Steve. My guess is your brother keeps telling you its c*** just to make you feel better about the weather in Scotland while you are still there !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:12 pm
visa granted 6th August

Just wanted to let you know that you will be pleasantly surprised with the weather when you get here Steve. My guess is your brother keeps telling you its c*** just to make you feel better about the weather in Scotland while you are still there !
never thought about it that way before hope you are right cheers m8.

steve
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:23 am

My comparison after 5 years in Melbourne is against my first 35 years in Ireland.
I can assure you with 100% confidence, that the weather is most certainly not c*** here.
I am laughing here, as considering what I said earlier (and it is generally true), right now it is COLD and WET !!

Ah well, we need the rain.....Now where is that umbrella when you want it !!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

steve
We moved to Oz (Melbourne) 4 years ago without ever having been here before. Melbourne is a fantastic place although in terms of the 'traditional' view of Australian weather (hot and sunny ALL the time) it probably doesn't fit. If you're looking for sunshine all the time then Perth or Brissy are probably more realistic.
That's part of what I love about Melbourne though - you do actually get a winter! Having said that the winter only truly lasts around 3 months and I think the coldest it got last year was around 3 degrees and in the meantime you can go skiing a few hours away!
The rest of the year can be variable admitedly, you can go from a 30 degree sunny day to a 18 degree rainy day within half an hour but in the main its pretty good weather especially when compared with the UK.
Not sure whether your comment was specifically about the weather or about moving to Oz without having seen it -both have worked for us!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than take anyone's word for it - I always go for the facts, so check out:

www.bom.gov.au

You will be pleasantly surprised

Rachel