Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Time Buyers in Oz..

First Time Buyers in Oz..

Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough
Default First Time Buyers in Oz..

I hear first time buyers in Oz get some help towards their first house which I guess comes in very handy. However as a home owner in the Uk We are hoping to sell and are booked to fly out to Melbourne at the end of October. (Although due to the slump we have just a few grand in equity :/ )

Would we qualify as first time buyers in Australia? Or are previous overseas residence taken in to account?

I have searched the forum but didn't find any previous thread....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Time Buyers in Oz..

Originally Posted by MaCCCa
I hear first time buyers in Oz get some help towards their first house which I guess comes in very handy. However as a home owner in the Uk We are hoping to sell and are booked to fly out to Melbourne at the end of October. (Although due to the slump we have just a few grand in equity :/ )

Would we qualify as first time buyers in Australia? Or are previous overseas residence taken in to account?

I got $7,000 in Aus even though had had a house in UK and know friends who during the recent incentive drive got almost $14,000 I think it was. Depending on the size of the house it covers stamp duty and fees so you break even.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It depends what visa you are on. I don't believe those on temporary visas get anything.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough

I am on a PR Spouse Visa - My wife is an Aussie (although never lived there).

If it covers the fees then I am happy! Although we plan on renting for a while in the hope the housing market in Oz takes a tumble.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

You should get the government $7k but any state grants can be dependent on whether you have owned a house anywhere in the world
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaCCCa

Provided you or your partner is an Australian citizen or a PR and neither of you have ever owned property in Australia, then you should be entitled to the grant. However, different states have different rules, so it depends where you will be settling.